A Few things to remember while cooking Kolkata style Mutton Rezala:
- Use Mutton with fat.
- To make Rezala with 1kg mutton you need 100g Ghee and also Oil.
- Give special emphasis to the spice mix.
- Rezala is a subtle gravy based meat curry tempered with Black Pepper, Dry red chili and is characterized by the presence of Makhana.
- The gravy tastes sweet and yet rich.
History and origin of Rezala:
Rezala is a famous Mughlai dish and in India is particularly popular in Kolkata than in other cities in India. considering the subtle flavor it offers and the way it is cooked; it is quite obvious that the dish came into the city thanks to Nawab Wajid Ali Shah. The version that we get now in Kolkata is either prepared with mutton or chicken; the gravy is semi-thick somewhere between soup and curry. Rezala has never been spicy; in fact, this dish is quite on the sweeter side. Subtle Keora, milk, and curd based gravy; tempered with black pepper and dry red chili and soft chunks of mutton makes it nothing but bliss.
Here’s how I cook Mutton Rezala at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Mutton: 1 Kg (medium size pieces with fat)
- Onion: 3
- Garlic: 6-8 Clove
- Ginger: 1 "
- Hung Curd: 100 g
- Raw Papaya: 100 g
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- White Pepper/ Sahi morich Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Bay leaf: 2-3
- Dried Red Chili: 8-10
- Black Pepper (Whole): 2 Tbsp.
- Cinnamon Stick: 4 "
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Black Cardamom: 2
- Mace: 1 Floret
- Onion: 2
- Garlic: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Green Chili: 3-4 (depending on taste)
- Poppy Seed: 100 g
- Melon Seed: 1 Tbsp.
- Cashew Nut: 10-15
- Hung Curd: 100 g
- Milk: 1 Cup
- Salt: 2 Tsp. (as per taste)
- Sugar: 2 Tsp.
- Kewra Water: 1 Tsp.
- Mitha Ittr: 1 Tsp.
- Saffron: 5-8 Strands
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Ghee: 100g
- Refined Oil: 5 Tbsp.
- Wash Mutton Pieces thoroughly and pat dry them using a kitchen Towel.
- Make a fine paste of Onion, Ginger, Garlic and Raw Papaya separately using a food processor or Onion grater.
- In a big bowl take all the pastes prepared along with Shahi Garam Masala Powder, Oil and also beaten Hung Curd and mix those properly.*
- Add 1 Tsp. Salt and 1 Tbsp. Sugar to the mixture along with 1 Tsp. white Pepper Powder.
- Add Mutton pieces to the Marination and coat the pieces with the Marinade and leave it overnight (I marinate mutton while preparing Rezala for more than 12 hours)
- Crush saffron Strings and mix with ½ cup lukewarm Milk and keep the mixture aside for future use.
- Make a fine paste of Poppy Seed along with Cashew Nut and also Melon Seeds using very little water and keep the mixture aside.
- Take Oil in a Deep vessel and fry Onions till those turn Brown in color and crunchy in texture.
- The Fried Onions are known as "Beresta". Strain "Beresta from Oil and let it cool completely.
- Take Beresta along with Green Chilies in a grinder (I used the Wet jar) and make a fine paste of it.
- In the same Oil add Ghee and heat the Ghee-Oil mixture properly.
- Temper the mixture with Bay Leave, Dried Red Chilies, Black Peppercorn, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom and Mace for 1 minute in low flame.
- Add "Beresta" Paste and Salt and then cook for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Now add Ginger and Garlic Paste and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add Poppy Seed-Cashew Nut paste to the mixture and cook until the mixture releases oil from the edges.
- Add 1 Tsp. Sugar to the mixture.
- Separate Mutton Pieces from the Marinade.
- Add the Marinade mixture ( without Mutton Pieces) to the vessel and start cooking in low flame till the raw aroma of the marinade goes out completely.
- Add 3 Cup of Boiling water and cook for around 10 minutes in low flame.
- Now add Mutton pieces in the gravy and cook until the mutton soften completely. It took me around 40 minutes to complete the cooking. *
- Adjust the water at this stage. Traditional Rezala is neither Thick nor Runny and I prefer that medium Consistency in my Rezala as well.
- Mix Kewra Water and Mitha Ittr with the Saffron milk prepared previously.
- Add the mixture in the Rezala and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of Shahi Garam Masala Powder as well.
- Give Rezala a standing time of 10 minutes before serving.
Mutton Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar:
- Posto Mangsho (Also known as Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed Paste)
- Mangshor Jhol (Also known as Bengali light Mutton curry)
- Gota Moshlar Mangsho (Also known as Kata Moshlar Mangsho or Mutton cooked with whole spices)
- Hyderabadi Haleem (Also known as Mutton Haleem)
- Kolkata’s Mutton Tikia (Also known as Tikia Kebab)
- Bengali Keema Curry (Also known as Mutton Mincemeat Curry with Potato Chunks)
- Bangladeshi Mutton Tehari (Also known as Tahiri)
- Mutton Ghee Roast (Also known as Mangalorean Ghee Roast)
- Anglo-Indian Mutton Curry (Also known as Saffron Mutton Curry)
- Mutton Handi Kebab (Also known as Handi Kabab)
- Mangsher Ghughni (Also known as Bengali Yellow Pea Curry with Minced Mutton)
- Mutton Rogan Josh (Also known as Kashmiri Pandit style Rogan Josh)
- Kosha Mangsho (Also known as Bengali Mutton Kasha)
- Kochi Pathar Jhol (Also known as Aloo diye Mangshor Jhol or Bengali Mutton Curry)
- Niramish Mangsho (Also known as Bhoger Mangsho)
Have you tried the Mutton Rezala recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here’s the Kolkata’s Rezala Pin for your Pinterest Board!
#Pictures updated in 2019.