A Few things to remember while cooking Kolkata style Mutton Rezala:
- Use Mutton with fat.
- To make Rezala with 1kg mutton you need 100g Ghee and also Oil.
- Give special emphasis to the spice mix.
- Rezala is a subtle gravy based meat curry tempered with Black Pepper, Dry red chili and is characterized by the presence of Makhana.
- The gravy tastes sweet and yet rich.
History and origin of Rezala:
Rezala is a famous Mughlai dish and in India is particularly popular in Kolkata than in other cities in India. considering the subtle flavor it offers and the way it is cooked; it is quite obvious that the dish came into the city thanks to Nawab Wajid Ali Shah. The version that we get now in Kolkata is either prepared with mutton or chicken; the gravy is semi-thick somewhere between soup and curry. Rezala has never been spicy; in fact, this dish is quite on the sweeter side. Subtle Keora, milk, and curd based gravy; tempered with black pepper and dry red chili and soft chunks of mutton makes it nothing but bliss.
Here's how I cook Mutton Rezala at Debjanir Rannaghar!
Mutton Rezala is a subtle gravy based Mughlai gravy dish.
- Mutton: 1 Kg (medium size pieces with fat)
- Onion: 3
- Garlic: 6-8 Clove
- Ginger: 1 "
- Hung Curd: 100 g
- Raw Papaya: 100 g
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- White Pepper/ Sahi morich Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Bay leaf: 2-3
- Dried Red Chili: 8-10
- Black Pepper (Whole): 2 Tbsp.
- Cinnamon Stick: 4 "
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Black Cardamom: 2
- Mace: 1 Floret
For Rezala Gravy:
- Onion: 2
- Garlic: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Green Chili: 3-4 (depending on taste)
- Poppy Seed: 100 g
- Melon Seed: 1 Tbsp.
- Cashew Nut: 10-15
- Hung Curd: 100 g
- Milk: 1 Cup
- Salt: 2 Tsp. (as per taste)
- Sugar: 2 Tsp.
- Kewra Water: 1 Tsp.
- Mitha Ittr: 1 Tsp.
- Saffron: 5-8 Strands
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Ghee: 100g
- Refined Oil: 5 Tbsp.
- Wash Mutton Pieces thoroughly and pat dry them using a kitchen Towel.
- Make a fine paste of Onion, Ginger, Garlic and Raw Papaya separately using a food processor or Onion grater.
- In a big bowl take all the pastes prepared along with Shahi Garam Masala Powder, Oil and also beaten Hung Curd and mix those properly.*
- Add 1 Tsp. Salt and 1 Tbsp. Sugar to the mixture along with 1 Tsp. white Pepper Powder.
- Add Mutton pieces to the Marination and coat the pieces with the Marinade and leave it overnight (I marinate mutton while preparing Rezala for more than 12 hours)
Making the Rezala:
- Crush saffron Strings and mix with 1/2 cup lukewarm Milk and keep the mixture aside for future use.
- Make a fine paste of Poppy Seed along with Cashew Nut and also Melon Seeds using very little water and keep the mixture aside.
- Take Oil in a Deep vessel and fry Onions till those turn Brown in color and crunchy in texture.
- The Fried Onions are known as "Beresta". Strain "Beresta from Oil and let it cool completely.
- Take Beresta along with Green Chilies in a grinder (I used the Wet jar) and make a fine paste of it.
- In the same Oil add Ghee and heat the Ghee-Oil mixture properly.
- Temper the mixture with Bay Leave, Dried Red Chilies, Black Peppercorn, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom and Mace for 1 minute in low flame.
- Add "Beresta" Paste and Salt and then cook for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Now add Ginger and Garlic Paste and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add Poppy Seed-Cashew Nut paste to the mixture and cook until the mixture releases oil from the edges.
- Add 1 Tsp. Sugar to the mixture.
- Separate Mutton Pieces from the Marinade.
- Add the Marinade mixture ( without Mutton Pieces) to the vessel and start cooking in low flame till the raw aroma of the marinade goes out completely.
- Add 3 Cup of Boiling water and cook for around 10 minutes in low flame.
- Now add Mutton pieces in the gravy and cook until the mutton soften completely. It took me around 40 minutes to complete the cooking. *
- Adjust the water at this stage. Traditional Rezala is neither Thick nor Runny and I prefer that medium Consistency in my Rezala as well.
- Mix Kewra Water and Mitha Ittr with the Saffron milk prepared previously.
- Add the mixture in the Rezala and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of Shahi Garam Masala Powder as well.
- Give Rezala a standing time of 10 minutes before serving.
- Category: Mutton
- Cuisine: Mughlai
Mutton Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar:
- Posto Mangsho (Also known as Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed Paste)
- Mangshor Jhol (Also known as Bengali light Mutton curry)
- Gota Moshlar Mangsho (Also known as Kata Moshlar Mangsho or Mutton cooked with whole spices)
- Hyderabadi Haleem (Also known as Mutton Haleem)
- Kolkata’s Mutton Tikia (Also known as Tikia Kebab)
- Bengali Keema Curry (Also known as Mutton Mincemeat Curry with Potato Chunks)
- Bangladeshi Mutton Tehari (Also known as Tahiri)
- Mutton Ghee Roast (Also known as Mangalorean Ghee Roast)
- Anglo-Indian Mutton Curry (Also known as Saffron Mutton Curry)
- Mutton Handi Kebab (Also known as Handi Kabab)
- Mangsher Ghughni (Also known as Bengali Yellow Pea Curry with Minced Mutton)
- Mutton Rogan Josh (Also known as Kashmiri Pandit style Rogan Josh)
- Kosha Mangsho (Also known as Bengali Mutton Kasha)
- Kochi Pathar Jhol (Also known as Aloo diye Mangshor Jhol or Bengali Mutton Curry)
- Niramish Mangsho (Also known as Bhoger Mangsho)
Have you tried the Mutton Rezala recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Kolkata's Rezala Pin for your Pinterest Board!
#Pictures updated in 2019.