The recipe of Bengali Mutton Stew!
Here's how I cook Bengali Mutton Stew with veggies in a pressure cooker:Print
Bengali Mutton Stew with Veggies aka Shobji diye Mangshor Jhol is a comforting mutton stew cooked with loads of veggies
- 500g Mutton (small pieces)
- 2 Potato (Big)
- 3 Onion (Big)
- 1 Carrot (Big)
- 5 Beans
- 1 Green Papaya
- 1 tablespoon. Ginger Paste
- 1 tablespoon. Garlic Paste
- 3 tablespoon. Butter
- ½ teaspoon. Black Peppercorn
- ¼ teaspoon. Kebab Chini/ Allspice
- 2 teaspoon. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 4 tablespoon. Lemon Juice
- 1.5 teaspoon. Salt
- Wash Mutton and marinate with Ginger and Garlic paste, 2 tablespoon lemon juice and also ½ teaspoon Salt.
- Now peel the potatoes, Papaya, carrots and cut them into wedges.
- After peeling the skin, Cut onions into four pieces.
- Cut Beans into long strips.Heat 2 tablespoon Butter in a pressure cooker.
- Temper the butter with Black Peppercorn and Kebab chini.
- Add onion and fry till it turns light pink in color.
- Now add the marinated mutton and cook for around 5 minutes.
- At this point, the mixture will emit a nice aroma.
- Add all the veggies and toss using a spatula.
- Now add black pepper powder and adjust the salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add 3 cups of hot water.
- Cover the pressure cooker with a lid and put the vent weight on.
- Cook on high flame till the cooker releases pressure (whistle number 1).
- After that reduce the flame and cook till 4 whistles come from the cooker.
- Switch the flame off.
- Open the pressure cooker once the pressure drops completely.
- Add remaining lemon juice, remaining butter, and also Bengali garam masala powder.
- Mix and serve it hot with rice or bread.
Papaya works as a tendering agent and it increases the flavor of the stew.
Kebab chini aka allspice is completely optional but gives an amazing flavor to the mutton stew.
Adjust chili and pepper based on your need.
Instead of butter, you can use refined oil.
You can adjust the lemon juice based on your need.
Instead of mutton, you can use lamb as well.
Though I skip, however, you can add tomato.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Mutton
- Cuisine: Bengali
Mutton Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Nalli Nihari (also known as Mutton Nihari or Gosht Nihari)
- Joggi Barir Mangsho (Also known as Biyebarir Mutton Curry)
- Gota Roshun diye Mangshor Jhol (also known as Bengali Mutton Curry with Garlic Pod)
- Keema Matar (also known as Mutton mincemeat cooked with green peas)
- Bengali Mete Chorchori (also known as Mutton Liver side with Potato chunks)
- Mangsha Tarkari (also known as Oriya Mutton Curry)
- Kolkata Mutton Biryani (also known as Calcutta Biryani)
- Posto Mangsho (also known as Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed Paste)
- Mangshor Jhol (also known as Bengali light Mutton curry) in a Pressure Cooker!
- Gota Moshlar Mangsho (also known as Kata Moshlar Mangsho or Mutton cooked with whole spices)
- Hyderabadi Haleem (also known as Mutton Haleem)
- Kolkata’s Mutton Tikia (also known as Tikia Kebab)
- Bengali Keema Curry (also known as Mutton Mincemeat Curry with Potato Chunks)
- Mutton Ghee Roast
- Anglo-Indian Mutton Curry (also known as Anglo mutton curry)
- Mutton Handi Kebab (also known as mutton Hari Kabab)
- Mangsher Ghughni (also known as mutton Ghooghni)
- Mutton Rogan Josh (also known as gosht roganjosh)
- Kosha Mangsho (also known as Bengali Mutton Kasha)
- Kolkata Style Mutton Rezala (also known as Gosht Rezala)
- Kochi Pathar Jhol (also known as Aloo diye Mangshor Jhol or Bengali Mutton Curry)
Have you tried the Bengali Mutton Stew with veggies recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Shobji diye Mangshor Jhol Pin for your Pinterest Board!