Different versions of Mangshor Jhol!
Gota Roshun diye Mangshor Jhol!
Gota Roshun Diye Mangsho, a few preferences!
Here’s how I cook Bengali Roshun diye Mangshor Jhol at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Mutton (with fat): 1 kg ( curry-cut)
- Onion: 4
- Potato: 4
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Tomato Paste: 4 Tbsp.
- Garlic Pod: 2
- Green Chilli: 4
- Plain Curd: 150ml
- Red Chili Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 5 Tbsp.
- Wash and pat-dry the mutton. Finely chop the onion.
- Cut the potatoes into halves.
- You can keep the skin if you wish to.
- If using baby potatoes, you can use that whole.
- Now in a bowl take mutton, potatoes, chopped onion, green chili, ginger, and garlic paste, and also tomato paste.
- Add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Bengali Garam Masala Powder, and half of the turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, and also sugar.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Mustard oil and mix everything.
- Keep the marinated meat in the refrigerator for 8 hours before cooking.
- At the time of cooking heat remaining oil in a deep bottom vessel.
- Add remaining turmeric powder, red chili powder, and a little salt and mix everything.
- Now add remaining sugar and let it caramelizes.
- At this point and marinated meat along with the marinade.
- Keep the flame high and mix the meat with the oil in the vessel.
- Cook on high flame for 5-7 minutes after covering with a lid.
- The meat will start releasing moisture after 5-7 minutes of cooking.
- Open the lid and place the garlic pods on the top of the meat.
- Take some gravy from the pan and pour over the garlic pod.
- Cover the vessel with the lid and cook on low flame for 30 minutes.
- Open once in a while and mix with a ladle.
- Now add 2 cups of boiling water to the meat and keep cooking till the meat is well-cooked.
- It will take around 20 minutes depending on the quality of the meat.
- Once done, you will see oil floating from the top and the gravy is having a nice red color.
- Give the curry a standing time of 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve it hot with rice.
Mutton Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Keema Matar (also known as Mutton mincemeat cooked with green peas)
- Bengali Mete Chorchori (also known as Mutton Liver side with Potato chunks)
- Mangsha Tarkari (also known as Oriya Mutton Curry)
- Kolkata Mutton Biryani (also known as Calcutta Biryani)
- Posto Mangsho (also known as Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed Paste)
- Mangshor Jhol (also known as Bengali light Mutton curry) in a Pressure Cooker!
- Gota Moshlar Mangsho (also known as Kata Moshlar Mangsho or Mutton cooked with whole spices)
- Hyderabadi Haleem (also known as Mutton Haleem)
- Kolkata’s Mutton Tikia (also known as Tikia Kebab)
- Bengali Keema Curry (also known as Mutton Mincemeat Curry with Potato Chunks)
- Bangladeshi Mutton Tehari (also known as Bangladeshi Tehari)
- Mutton Ghee Roast (also known as Mangalorean Mutton Ghee Roast)
- Anglo-Indian Mutton Curry (also known as Saffron mutton curry)
- Mangsher Ghughni (also known as Yellow Pea Curry with Minced Mutton)
- Mutton Rogan Josh (also known as Kashmiri Rogan Josh)
- Kosha Mangsho (also known as Bengali Mutton Kasha)
- Kolkata Style Mutton Rezala (also known as Mughlai Rezala)
- Kochi Pathar Jhol (also known as Aloo diye Mangshor Jhol or Bengali Mutton Curry)
Have you tried the Gota Roshun diye Patla Mangsher Jhol recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here’s the Roshun Mangsho Pin for your Pinterest Board!