Chingri Macher Kalia, a substitute to the Sunday's Mangshor Jhol
Managing a middle-class Bengali joint family!
Utilizing the kitchen garden!
Let's go back to the Prawn head curry!
Maa's "Tipponi" on Chingrir Mathar Rosha!
Here's how I cook Chingri Mathar Kalia at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Chingri Mathar Kalia is a curry cooked with prawn head along with potagto chunks.
- Prawn Head ( head of the jumbo prawns, cleaned): 10
- Potato: 3
- Onion Paste: 4 Tbsp.
- Onion Paste: 3 Tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Green Chilli: 2
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Dry Red Chilli: 2
- Small Cardamom: 4
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- [url href="undefined"][/url]
- Marinate cleaned prawn heads with ¼ Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, and also salt. Give those a standing time of 15 minutes before frying.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into halves.
- Heat Mustard oil in a pan till the color changes.
- Sprinkle ⅛ Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, and also salt and mix.
- This is a trick to give the curry amazing red color.
- Now fry the potatoes in low flame and strain from the pan.
- In the remaining oil fry the prawn heads. Depending on the diameter of the pan, 2-3 heads can be fried in one go.
- Keep the flame on the lower side while frying the prawn heads. While frying whole prawns (mainly the flesh) for long lead to chewy prawns, in case of only prawn head the result is different. It is better to fry the prawn heads at least for 5 minutes for better flavor.
- Once fried, strain the fried prawn heads from the pan.
- The oil by then will be infused with the flavors of prawn head which will ultimately make the curry flavorful.
- Temper the remaining oil in the pan with Bay Leaf, Dry Red Chilli, and also Small Cardamom.
- Add Onion paste and cook till the onion turns brownish.
- Now add ginger paste, garlic paste, and also tomato paste and cook till the raw aroma goes.
- Add Green chili at this point and cook till oil comes out from the mixture.
- Now add remaining Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt to taste, and also Bengali Garam Masala Powder and also Sugar.
- The garam masala in this recipe is not added at the end and this is to restrict the dominating flavor of garam masala.
- Cook on low flame for around five minutes and then add fried potatoes and mix.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add 2 Cup of water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook till the potatoes are 80% well-cooked.
- Add the fried prawn heads and cook till the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Once done, add ghee and give a light mix.
- Serve it hot pulao, rice, luchi, or roti.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Bengali
Recipes I adopted from the kitchen of a Bengali joint family!
- Pui Chingri Ghonto (also known as Malabar Spinach Mishmash with Prawns, Potato and Pumpkin)
- Potol Bata (also known as Potol Bhate)
- Aloo Chingrir Shorshe Bata Diye Jhal (also known as Mustard based curry with Prawn and Potato Wedges)
- Lau ar Aloo er Khosa Bhaja (also known as Stir-Fried Bottle Gourd and Potato Skin/ Peel)
- Doodh Sooji (also known as Mohanbhog aka Suji)
- Paneer er Dalna (also known as Niramish Paneer Er Torkari)
- Kolar Bora (also known as Bengali Banana Fritters)
- Mulo Diye Motor Dal (also known as Bengali Yellow Split Pea with Radish)
- Chingri Bati Chorchori (also known as Chingri Macher Batichorchori)
- Begun Borir Ambol (also known as Bori Beguner Ambol
- Nimki Makha (Also known as Bengali nimki chaat)
- Dimer Dalna (also known as Bengali Egg Curry with Potato)
- Neem Begun (also known as Stir-fried Neem leaves and Eggplant)
- Phulkopir Roast (also known as Bengali Roasted Cauliflower!)
- Batabi Lebu Makha (also known as Jambura Bhorta or Pomelo Salad)
- Piajkoli ar Aloo diye Tangra Macher Jhol (also known as Bengali Light fish curry prepared with Tyangra Maach, Onion Stalks, and Potato)
- Bou Khuda (also known as Boua Pulao or Bou Khudi)
- Ghee Bhat (also known as Bengali Sweet Pulao)
Have you tried the Chingri Mathar Qaliya recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Chingri Mathar Kalia Pin for your Pinterest Board!