Ambol has never been part of a celebratory menu at home, instead, it has been cooked whenever there's a need for a big fat dose of comfort! The veggies, the body, the earthy flavor of jaggery and most importantly the runny soup makes is soul food.
Ambol Vs. Shambol!
Begun Borir Ambol vs Bori Beguner Tok!
Begun Borir Ambol, Ghoti Barir Recipe!
Here's how I cook Begun Borir Ambol at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Begun Borir Ambol aka Bori Beguner Tok is a runny condiment cooked with Aubergine and Bori (Sun-dried lentil dumpling)
- 1 Begun/ Aubergine (Small; long variety)
- 10 Bori/ Sun-dried Lentil dumpling
- 2 Tbsp. Tamarind Pulp
- 4 Tbsp. Jaggery
- 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron/ Bengali five spices
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash and cut Aubergine into long rectangular pieces. You may refer to the picture for the cut
- Now marinate the aubergine chunks with turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in a pan and fry the aubergine.
- Strain the fried aubergine from the pan and in the remaining oil fry Bori as well.
- Strain fried bori from the pan.
- Take rest of the oil in the same pan and after heating the same temper with Panch Phoron and Dry red Chili.
- Meanwhile, dilute the tamarind pulp with 2 cups of hot water and add jaggery and dilute that as well.
- Strain to remove impurities.
- Now add this mixture to the pan and bring it to boil.
- Add salt to it and add fried Aubergine and fried bori as well.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Adjust the water if needed.
- The Ambol should be runny in texture.
- Adjust salt and sweetness based on preference.
- Once done, switch the flame off and serve ambol either in room temperature or chilled.
You can substitute Jaggery with Sugar.
You may get Bori in any Bengali shot if you are not in Bengal. Else you can make it at home
- Category: Chutney
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 10.4g
- Sodium: 586mg
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Begun borir ambol recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Chutney/ Ambol/ Tawk/ Condiment/ Relish Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Ilish Macher Tok (Also known as Ilish Macher Tawk)
- Kacha Aamer Ambol (Also known as Runny Bengali Mango Soup or Amer Tawk)
- Bacon Jam (Also known as Bacon dip)
- Gur diye Topa Kul ar Tomato Chutney (Also known as Kuler Chutney)
- Kerala Chemmeen Achar (Also known as Kerala Style Prawn Pickle)
- Kancha Aamer Chutney (Also known as Bengali Green Mango Chutney)
- Plastic Chutney (Also known as Raw Papaya Chutney or Bengali Peper Chutney)
- Kuler Achaar (Also known as Boroi-er Aachar or Jujube Sweet pickle or Ber ka achar)
- Lal Mirch Ka Benarasi Achar (Also known as Mirch ka Achaar)
- Tok Dal (Also known as Kancha Aam diye Toker Dal)
- Tomato Amsotto Khejur er Chutney (Also known as Amsotto Khejur Er Chutney)
Have you tried the Bori Begun er Ambol recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Begun Bori er Ambol Recipe Pin for your Pinterest Board!