Bacon is almost an integral part of our hurried breakfast. I hate making the breakfast and we almost ended on eating bacon sandwiches either prepared by our house-help (or Mehebub whenever the house-help is on leave) every alternate day. This is something I taught both of them so that I can enjoy an extra hour of sleep in the morning 😉 . They use bacon one way or other to set the breakfast. My role is just to store the Bacon and yes, at times making the Bacon Jam which is a family favorite.
Homemade Bacon Jam
Bacon Jam over the Toast or with the scrambled Egg or even with the Burger or just as a side; the choices are varied and the level of comfort is as comforting as the Bacon Jam is. Needless to say, this post is about Bacon Jam, a favorite spread of mine. In fact, I make it in small batches as Pasta at times takes her toast with the Jam, however, I try to limit the consumption given I use freshly brewed coffee to make it! It is different fact, that I, myself cannot resist much whenever I am available with the Bacon Jam.
The recipe of Bacon Jams varies person to person. Some people prefer to add spices such as thyme while some add Liquor ( such as Bourbon) while few prefer to add freshly brewed Coffee while making Bacon Jam. I prefer mine with freshly brewed Coffee, that gives an amazing flavor to the Bacon Jam and also add Ginger strips for added flavor. I don't use Bourbon or any other form of alcohol while making the jam.Print
An Easy-peasy recipe of Bacon Jam with no added alcohol.
- 500g Bacon ( I have used smoked Bacon)
- 2 Onion
- 10 cloves Garlic
- 1-inch Ginger (optional)
- ⅓ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- ¾ cup Freshly Brewed Coffee
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- Chop Onion and garlic roughly cut julienne strips of Ginger.
- Heat an iron wok and start cooking the bacon preferably in 2-3 batches. The Bacon will be cooked in own oil.
- Once crisp, strain the bacon from the Pan and place over tissue paper to soak the fat.
- Discard the fat from the Pan after keeping 2 Tbsp. of melted fat in reserve.
- Heat the remaining fat along with butter and start frying the onion on medium flame.
- Once caramelized, add chopped garlic and chopped Ginger and cook for one more minute.
- Now add Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, Black Pepper Powder, Salt and freshly brewed Coffee.
- In between roughly chop the fried bacon and add.
- Start cooking in slow flame upon covering the pan with a lid till the liquid absorbed completely.
- It took me around 20 minutes to reach the perfect consistency of the Bacon Jam.
- The end result will be thick and rich, blackish red Bacon Jam.
- Use an airtight jar to store the Bacon Jam.
- It can be stored in the refrigerator for around 3-4 weeks.
- You can add bourbon for alcoholic version.
If Maple syrup is not available, replace it with 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Jam & Jelly
- Cuisine: Continental
- Serving Size: 1 Tbsp.
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 15.5 g
- Sodium: 392 mg
- Fat: 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 7.6 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Condiment Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Kancha Aamer Chutney (also known as green mango chutney)
- Plastic Chutney (also known as Raw Papaya Chutney or Bengali Peper Chutney)
- Gur diye Topa Kul ar Tomato Chutney; it is all about chetey chetey Khawa.....
- Kuler Achaar | Boroi-er Aachar | Jujube Sweet pickle | Ber ka achar
- Kerala Chemmeen Achar aka Kerala Style Prawn Pickle
- Begun Borir Ambol aka Bori Beguner Ambol
- Kacha Aamer Ambol | Runny Bengali Mango Soup | Amer Tawk
- Mango Jam
Have you tried the bacon jam recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe. You can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.