Easy to make Mushroom Sauce Recipe! Quick, easy and most importantly you can make a big portion and use it in batches to make different dishes. You can cook this within 30 minutes and top your choice of veggies, Pasta, or choice of animal protein such as Chicken, Pork, or beef with this sauce and serve easily.
A Mushroom Sauce for all
Pasta was seating with me when I was ordering 500g button mushrooms along with other things last Saturday. My plan was to make a basic version of White and creamy mushroom sauce for 4 people's 3 types of dinner on alternate days with little modification. She requested me to not add dijon mustard while making the sauce. I actually was surprised and asked her why to skip the mustard! She replied, "it overpowers the flavor of mushroom, mom!" I was quite surprised considering she is only eight.
It was Saturday evening and I was rather relaxed after an eventful week at work. I mostly cook a few things such as sauce, condiment, gravy, etc. as big portions. These are big saviors in case you have stored in the refrigerator and you can make different dishes within no time using those.
Variations of Mushroom Sauce
As I mentioned, Pasta requested me not to use Mustard. Needless to say, one variation calls for Mustard. Let's see a few variations of creamy mushroom sauce below
This version is cooked without chicken or meat stock and is completely vegetarian.
The vegan mushroom sauce calls for almond milk or coconut cream instead of cream. In addition, meat stock is not used.
Basic with cream and meat stock
The traditional one is cooked with cream and also meat stock.
Ingredients are substituted based on preference and need. Some prefer a dash of dijon mustard and some prefer to skip it. Both fresh and dry herbs are used and at times a mixture of both is preferred. Wine is often added while some prefer a wine-free version. Last but not the least, you can use mushrooms based on your choice. I prefer button mushroom considering the availability.
Perfect Mushroom Sauce - Tips and Tricks
If you are planning to add corn-four to the sauce, mix it well with milk before adding to the pan. I, however, skip corn-four.
They say corn flour helps in the non-splitting of the sauce. However, if you blend the cream well before adding to the pan and then dilute it a bit and add in batches, you will not see splitting, even if you skip corn flour.
Super easy creamy mushroom sauce recipe using button mushroom and cream along with a few more ingredients.
- 500g Button Mushroom
- 300ml Fresh Cream
- 10 cloves of Garlic
- 10g Basil leaves
- 10g Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Stock (see notes below)
- 1 Tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard (optional; see note below)
- ¼ cup white wine (optional; see note below)
- Wash and pat-sry mushroom.
- Thinly slice the mushroom if using the button mushroom. For other varieties as well, you need to cut those.
- Chop and make garlic mince.
- Now Heat Butter in a pan.
- Once heated, add mushrooms and toss those.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the mushroom cook for 2 minutes.
- You will see the mushroom releasing moisture at this point.
- Keep covering and cook till the mushroom releases the moisture.
- Open the lid, give the mushroom a mix and wait till the moisture evaporates completely.
- At this point add garlic mince and mix it with the mushroom.
- Keep cooking and you will see the mushroom started browning.
- Stir continuously to avoid burning.
- At this point mix salt, black pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Add half of this mixture and half of the seasoning along with half of the fresh herbs such as thyme and basil leave and give it a mix.
- Meanwhile, you should have the cream available in a bowl and it should be at room temperature.
- Take a hand beater or spoon and beat it for a while to make it smooth.
- If needed add little water to it to dilute it.
- Now add ⅓ of the cream to the pan and mix it quickly.
- Then add the remaining in two batches and mix quickly.
- Once added, add the stock you are using. I will be sharing a few things about the stock below in the note section.
- If using wine and mustard add those as well.
- Give everything a good mix.
- Let it cook till the mixture thickens to the desired consistency.
- At the end, adjust the seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and also herbs).
- Once done, switch the flame off.
- You can serve this with your choice of pasta, veggies, chicken, or pork.
- You can store this sauce for future use as well.
- In case you plan to use less cream, you need to add corn four mixed with water. I do not like adding flour and I use extra cream.
- In case you wish to make vegan, replace fresh cream with almond milk or coconut milk
- You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock or even red meat stock or the moisture released while grilling meat or vegetable. I use the liquid released while grilling the meat or veggies as I mostly serve mushroom sauce with grilled chicken or with roasted pork or beef tenderloin.
- If you prefer a bit of tanginess, add little dijon mustard.
- Do add wine and mustard after adding the stock if using the same.
- Prep Time: 10min
- Cook Time: 30min
- Category: condiment
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: international
- Serving Size: 3 cup
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Sodium: 675mg
- Fat: 116
- Saturated Fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
Keywords: easy mushroom sauce recipe, mushroom sauce with cream, mushroom sauce without cream, debjanir ranaghar
Have you tried the Easy Mushroom Sauce recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe. You can share here on email@example.com. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.