For the love of “গরগরে লাল” (red hot!) Dimer Dalna I finally have decided to post this recipe. There’s nothing much to be said about this classic Bengali delicacy. This simple Bengali style egg and potato curry is one of the best forms of egg curry for sure.
I have posted the recipe of Hanser Dimer Dalna aka Duck Egg curry long back on Debjanir Rannaghar. This new post is about a more generalized form of the same recipe cooked with chicken egg. Here I have used Chicken Egg along with Potato chunks and made the curry following the typical process of making Bengali Dimer Dalna.
Dimer Dalna, the no-nonsense Bengali Delicacy!
A dish that any egg-loving Bengali cooks at least twice or thrice a month is obviously no-nonsense. This is I think one of the recipes I have learned in the initial days when I started cooking. I cooked it when I was at home. I cooked it when I was in the hostel. When I was in Bihar and was living alone I used to cook this almost twice a week; After marriage, both I and Mehebub cook it whenever there is no fancy ingredient available in the kitchen or one of us does not want to cook elaborately! Even Pasta knows how important Dimer Dalna is!
Jokes apart, Dimer Dalna aka Bengali Egg Curry with Potato chunks is a classic Bengali Egg-based curry. The recipe varies from family to family however, the basic spices are almost the same. Dimer Dalna is basically a comfort dish cherished and cooked by the Bengalis. I think it is as loved as Mangshor Jhol! Deep-fried boiled egg cooked with potato chunks in a gravy of onion, tomato, and ginger garlic to the level of perfection is ultimate bliss.
Dimer Dalna aka Bengali Egg Curry!
The presence of Alu
makes dimer Dalna different from other Egg curries including another form of Bengali Egg curries. Bengali Dalna curry is characterized by the cut of the potato and the way spices are used in it. A big potato is cut into four pieces which means the size of the potato is half if compared to potato from Mangshor Jhol. The spices are basic, however, Bengali Garam Masala, Asafoetida, Ghee and Ginger paste are must when it comes to Dalna curry.
Here’s how I make Dimer Dalna at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Dimer Dalna is a classic Bengali style Egg and Potato based curry
- Dim/ Egg: 6
- Potato: 1 (big) or 3 (Small)
- Onion: 2
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Asafoetida: 1/2 tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Dry Red Chilli:2
- Cinnamon Stick: 1″
- Green Cardamom: 2-3
- Clove: 2-3
- Take Water in a bowl and bring it to boil.
- Add 1/2 tsp. Salt to it.
- Add eggs one by one and boil for 8 minutes.
- This curry calls for hard-boiled eggs.
- Once boiled; switch the flame off and once you can handle remove the skin from the boiled eggs.
- Marinate the eggs with 1/4 tsp. each of Turmeric powder, Red Chili powder, Salt and also sugar.
- Meanwhile, peel the Potato(s) and cut one medium-size potato into four pieces. You may refer to the video for the size.
- Marinate the potatoes with 1/2 tsp. each of Turmeric powder, and also Salt.
- Cut onion into thin slices.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. Oil in a deep bottom pan and fry the potatoes on medium heat till those turn golden brown in color.
- Once fried strain the fried potatoes from the pan.
- Now fry the eggs till those are golden brown from outside and crisp.
- Strain the eggs from the pan.
- Now temper remaining oil with bay leaf, dry red chili, cinnamon, green cardamom and also clove.
- Add Asafoetida and mix.
- Add sugar and wait till the sugar caramelizes.
- Now add chopped onion and cook on medium flame till the onion is properly fried and brownish in color.
- Add the Ginger paste and also garlic paste and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame and add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till the tomatoes soften.
- Once the mixture is well-mixed and starts leaving oil add a little salt and 1 Tbsp. water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a bowl take turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, sugar, salt (if needed) and also 1/2 of the Bengali Garam Masala.
- Mix it with 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil to make a thick paste.
- Add this mixture to the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Now add fried potatoes and keep the flame on the lower side.
- Cook till the potatoes are well-cooked.
- Now add the eggs and cook till the gravy reaches desired consistency.
- Add ghee and remaining Bengali Garam Masala as well and give it a mix.
- Serve Bengali Dimer Dalna with hot steamed rice, or Pulao or Roti or Paratha or Luchi
- Category: Egg
- Cuisine: Bengali
Bengali Dimer Dalna Video Recipe!
Egg Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Dimer Halwa (Also known as Egg Halwa or Ande Ka Halwa)
- Hansher Dimer Dalna (Also known as duck egg curry)
- Grilled Egg and Cheese Sandwich (Also known as Egg Sandwich)
- Egg Curry (Also known as Aanda Curry)
Have you Bengali Dimer Dalna recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here’s the Dimer Dalna Recipe Pin for your Pinterest Board!