"I saw chotokaka purchasing Chapra Chingri this morning at Sealdah market and now that I can smell the chingri chingri gondo I think we are going to have Chingri Bati Chorchori today!"
- Chingri Bati Chorchori; a Ghoti dish?
- Why the name Chingri Macher Batichorchori?
- Here's how I make Chingri Bati Chorchori at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Recipe Card
- Prawn/ Shrimp recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Have you Chingri Bati Chorchori recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Here's the Bengali Chingri Bati Chorchori aka Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori Recipe Pin for your Pinterest Board!
"Don't you know Chingri is not Mach! We are going to have Chingri Bati Chorchori but not Chingri Mach! I was told Chicngri is Joler Poka!"
"Shut up girl! Here is your daily dose of newspaper! Read it!"
"Why do you purchase The Hindu for me. We don't even get the current day's paper here?"
"This is chotokaka's instruction and your English is pathetic and hence "The Hindu is a must!"
I suddenly remembered this conversation while cooking the same Chingri Bati Chorchori a few days back for Pasta! She loves this a lot. She requested me to make a big batch for her before the initiation of my official tour!
Chingri Bati Chorchori memories
We had a joint family then. The conversation was between Chordada and me and his Chotokaka is my father. ThoughChingri was quite regular at home however, we never had Golda Chingri or Bagda Chingri on a regular basis. Baba or Jethu or Rangajethu whoever was responsible for the month's grocery, fish and vegetable market back then used to bring fresh Chapra Chingri a lot. At our place, the responsibility of shopping was divided between the patriarchs on a monthly basis while their respective better halves aka the matriarchs were responsible for the general home management.
We had an Odia cook at home, Mukti dada. He used to cook the typical dishes while my mother and aunts used to cook the protein. Mamoni (my aunt) I think till now makes the best Chingri Bati Chorchori. The recipe is simple and I never needed anything else along with rice when this particular dish was part of the meal.
Chingri Bati Chorchori; a Ghoti dish?
A tough call isn't it? However, I suppose it is a Ghoti dish mostly favored by the Bengalis from West Bengal especially going by the ingredients. A few ingredients along with the Chingri Mach cooked together in a pot and the end result has always been mindblowing. Moreover, the dish is known as Chingri macher Matichorchori as well, and who else but a Ghoti calls Chingri Mach!
Why the name Chingri Macher Batichorchori?
All the ingredients along with Chingri mixed put together in a bati aka bowl and cooked for a while and hence the name. Though I have seen in place using a pressure cooker to make this. We had an age-old heavy-duty prestige cooker at home which had been used. In fact, whenever, I cook Bati chorchori I use my pressure cooker. In a way the cooker body is a bowl-like structure, isn't it?
Before going further with the recipe, mind that if a few chewy prawns/ shrimps are not your thing; don't make it. After all, you are using a pressure cooker to make this. In addition to that, this dish calls for totally cleaned, de-shelled, and de-veined prawns/ shrimps, and hence you can use processed prawns as well. By the way, if you take my suggestion, make it once, wait till the whistle comes out and so the aroma, and thank me then! Hssssssssssssss hssssssssssss hssssssssssssss to make a bachelor-friendly Prawn delicacy! Even if you are a novice, you can make this delicacy. Before going further, I must mention, I follow Mamoni's recipe line by line.
Here's how I make Chingri Bati Chorchori at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Chingri Bati Chorchori | Chingri Macher Batichorchori
Chingri Bati Chorchori is a Bengali-style one-pot curry cooked with fresh prawns and veggies.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 5 People 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- 500g Chabra Chingri / Medium Prawns (Cleaned, de-shelled, de-veined)
- 1 Potato (Big)
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 4 Green Chilli
- ¼ bunch Cilantro/ coriander leaves
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Kalojire/ Nigella Seed/ Kalonji
- 2 Tbsp. + ½ Tsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash the prawns and marinate them with a little salt and half of the Turmeric Powder.
- Cut the potatoes into the edges after peeling the skin.
- Slice both the onion and Tomato and also the green chilies.
- Now in a bowl take a potato, tomato, green chili, cilantro, red chili powder, the rest of the turmeric powder, salt, and also 1 Tbsp. mustard oil and mix everything.
- Add the marinated prawns to it and lightly mix.
- Before cooking gives 10 minutes of standing time.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil in a pressure cooker and temper it with nigella seed.
- Now take everything in the pressure cooker and cover it with the lid and put the vent weight.
- There is no need to add water as both prawns and veggies will release moisture.
- Cook on low flame until one whistle comes out.
- Switch the flame off and wait till the pressure drops completely.
- Open the lid and drizzle ½ Tsp. mustard oil before serving.
- You may add Green peas and even carrots while cooking this.
- The standing time is very important. This step will help the veggies and prawns soak the spices and also will take less time to cook hence the prawns will be less chewy.
you may adjust the prawns and potatoes, based on preference.
- I have used more prawns and fewer potatoes.
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 498mg
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 20.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chingri bati chorchori recipe, bengali prawn curry recipe, prawn recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Prawn/ Shrimp recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Chingri Paturi (also known as Prawn Paturi)
- Pui Chingri Ghonto (Also known as Malabar Spinach Mishmash with Prawns, Potato and Pumpkin)
- Kerala Chemmeen Achar (also known as Kerala Style Prawn Pickle
- Shutki Chingri Bhorta (Also known as Dried Prawn Paste pr Chingri Shutki Bhorta)
- South Indian Prawn Curry ( also known as Prawn Kuzhambu)
- Aloo Chingrir Shorshe Bata Diye Jhal (Also known as light Mustard based curry with Prawn and Potato Wedges)
- Daab Chingri (Also known as Prawn Cooked in Tender Coconut)
- Chingri Malaikari (Also known as Chingri Macher Malaikari)
Have you Chingri Bati Chorchori recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here at firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Leave a Reply