"I saw chotokaka purchasing Chapra Chingri this morning at Sealdah market and now that I can smell the chingri chingri gondo I think we are going to have Chingri Macher Batichorchori today!"
"Don't you know Chingri is not Mach! We are going to have Chingri Bati Chorchori but not Chingri Mach! I was told Chicngri is Joler Poka!"
"Shut up girl! Here is your daily dose of newspaper! Read it!"
"Why do you purchase The Hindu for me. We don't even get the current day's paper here?"
"This is chotokaka's instruction and your English is pathetic and hence "The Hindu is a must!"
I suddenly remembered this while cooking the same Chingri Bati Chorchori a few days back for Pasta! She loves this a lot and requested me to make a big batch for her before the initiation of my official tour!
We had a joint family then. The conversation was between Chordada and I and his Chotokaka is my father. ThoughChingri was quite regular at home however, we never had Golda Chingri or Bagda Chingri on a regular basis. Baba or Jethu or Rangajethu whoever responsible for the month's grocery, fish and vegetable market back then used to bring fresh Chapra Chingri a lot. At our place, the responsibility of shopping was divided between the patriarchs on a monthly basis while their respective better halves aka the matriarchs were responsible for the general home-management.
We had an Odia cook at home, Mukti dada. He used to cook the typical dishes while my mother and aunts used to cook the protein. Mamoni (my aunt) I think till now makes the best Chingri Bati Chorchori. The recipe is simple and I never needed anything else along with rice when this particular dish was part of the meal.
Chingri Bati Chorchori; a Ghoti dish?
A tough call isn't it? However, I suppose it is a Ghoti dish mostly favored by the Bengalis from West Bengal especially going by the ingredients. A few ingredients along with the Chingri Mach cooked together in a pot and the end result has always been mindblowing. Moreover, the dish is known as Chingri macher Matichorchori as well and who else but a Ghoti calls Chingri Mach!
Why the name Chingri Macher Batichorchori?
All the ingredients along with Chingri mixed put together in a bati aka bowl and cooked for a while and hence the name. Though I have seen in place using a pressure cooker to make this. We had an age-old heavy-duty prestige cooker at home which had been used. In fact, whenever, I cook Bati chorchori I use my pressure cooker. In a way the cooker body is a bowl-like structure, isn't it?
Before going further with the recipe, mind that if a bit chewy prawns/ shrimps are not your thing; don't make it. After all, you are using a pressure cooker to make this. In addition to that this dish calls for totally cleaned, de-shelled and de-veined prawns/ shrimps and hence you can use processed prawns as well. By the way, if you take my suggestion, make it once, wait till the whistle comes out and so the aroma and thank me then! Hssssssssssssss hssssssssssss hssssssssssssss to make a bachelor-friendly Prawn delicacy! Even if you are a novice, you can make this delicacy. Before going further, I must mention, I follow Mamoni's recipe line by line.
Here's how I make Chingri Bati Chorchori at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Chicngri Bati Chorchori is a Bengali style one-pot curry cooked with fresh prawns and veggies.
- Chabra Chingri / Medium Prawns: 500g (Cleaned, de-shelled, de-veined)
- Potato: 1 (Big)
- Tomato: 1
- Onion: 1
- Green Chilli: 4
- Cilantro/ coriander leaves: ¼ bunch
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder:1 Tsp.
- Salt: 1 Tsp.
- Kalojire/ Nigella Seed/ Kalonji: ¼ Tsp.
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp. + ½ Tsp.
- [url href="undefined"][/url]
- Wash the prawns and marinate with a little salt and half of the Turmeric Powder.
- Cut the potatoes into edges after peeling the skin.
- Slice both the onion and Tomato and also the green chilies.
- Now in a bowl take a potato, tomato, green chili, cilantro, red chili powder, rest of the turmeric powder, salt and also 1 Tbsp. mustard oil and mix everything.
- Add the marinated prawns to it and lightly mix.
- Before cooking gives 10 minutes standing time.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil in a pressure cooker and temper it with nigella seed.
- Now take everything in the pressure cooker and cover it with the lid and put the vent weight.
- There is no need to add water as both prawns and veggies will release moisture.
- Cook on low flame until one whistle comes out.
- Switch the flame off and wait till the pressure drops completely.
- Open the lid and drizzle ½ Tsp. mustard oil before serving.
You may add Green peas and even carrot while cooking this.
The standing time is very important. This step will help the veggies and prawn soak the spices and also will take less time to cook and hence the prawns will be less chewy.
you may adjust the prawns and potato, based on preference. I have used more prawns and fewer potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 498mg
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 20.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Prawn/ Shrimp recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Chingri Paturi (also known as Prawn Paturi)
- Pui Chingri Ghonto (Also known as Malabar Spinach Mishmash with Prawns, Potato and Pumpkin)
- Kerala Chemmeen Achar (also known as Kerala Style Prawn Pickle
- Shutki Chingri Bhorta (Also known as Dried Prawn Paste pr Chingri Shutki Bhorta)
- South Indian Prawn Curry ( also known as Prawn Kuzhambu)
- Aloo Chingrir Shorshe Bata Diye Jhal (Also known as light Mustard based curry with Prawn and Potato Wedges)
- Daab Chingri (Also known as Prawn Cooked in Tender Coconut)
- Chingri Malaikari (Also known as Chingri Macher Malaikari)
Have you Chingri Bati Chorchori recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Bengali Chingri Bati Chorchori aka Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori Recipe Pin for your Pinterest Board!