Shutki Chingri Bhorta is not a typical dish cooked by the Ghoti community and I obviously am an exception to this. I cherish this a lot. I cook it quite often as part of Sunday Lunch. We are a nuclear family of working parents and a super supportive toddler. The momma bear is a food blogger herself apart from working full time for the development sector. The daddy dearest is an architect. Our story is typically like several other families who crave quality time to spend with each other. We, though, want to spend more and more time with the little one but we couldn't able to do so. That is probably the reason our Sundays are just for the family. Family lunch with comfort food is what we crave almost every Sunday at my place followed by afternoon sleep with the little munchkin.
- A typical Sunday at Chatterjee Alam's place!
- Chingri Shutki Bhorta
- Shutki chingri Bhorta at a Ghoti bari!!!
- Here's how I make Shutki Chingri Bhorta at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Recipe Card
- Bhorta/ Bhate/ Makha recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Have you tried the Shutki Chingri Bhorta recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Here's the Chingri Shutki Bhorta Pin for your Pinterest Board!
A typical Sunday at Chatterjee Alam's place!
In my case, after having food outside the home almost more than three times a week, thanks to the restaurant reviews I do. I couldn't feel like having anything but homemade comfort food for Sunday lunch. Husbandman has always been fond of homemade food; while the little one enjoys her exclusive time with us on Sundays. I prefer to cook on Sundays and not to mention, those are mostly comfort food. A simple lunch arrangement with boiled Rice, Daal, and maybe Macher Jhol or Mangsher Jhol is something I prefer and our lunch always started with a Bengali dish like Shukto or Shak bhaja or Bhorta. With this post, I am going to share the recipe of Shutki Chingri Bhorta (Dried Prawn Paste). Shutki Chingri Bhorta is a famous Bengali dish and goes amazing with plain rice.
Chingri Shutki Bhorta
A mashed or pureed dish ( it can be prepared with vegetables or fish or even with meat) is known as Bhorta or Bharta. You can check the recipe for Baingan Bharta here."Bharta" is north Indian and when it is "Bhorta" it is so very Bengali! Well, be it Bharta or Bhorta, the mash-dishes are unique to Indian and Bangladeshi cuisine. I personally am a fan of the Bengali mash dishes. By birth, I am "Ghoti" (Bongs having origin in West Bengal are known as Ghoti). However, the recipe I am going to share today is something a Bangal (Bongs having origin in Bangladesh) can strongly relate to. "Shutki Mach" or dry fish is immensely popular among the Bangal community as well as in Bangladesh. However, people like me who are the true blue lover of Bengali food also cherish their portion of Sutki Mach as well.
Shutki chingri Bhorta at a Ghoti bari!!!
In my North Calcutta residence, Shutki Mach is a strict no-no to date. When I was in college followed by the university I used to request my friends to bring "Shutki Mach" for me. These days I prepare it at home and not to mention enjoy every bit of it with a spoonful of rice. Mehebub loves his portion of Shutki Bhorta.
Coming to the recipe, Chingri Shutki Bhorta is prepared with very basic ingredients. Obviously, Chingri Shutki or Dried Prawn is the main ingredient apart from onion, garlic, chili, and a few spices.
Here's how I make Shutki Chingri Bhorta at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Chingri Shutki Bhorta | Dried Prawn Paste
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 5 People 1x
A traditional Bengali Prawn paste recipe originally from Bangladesh, Chingri Shutki Bhorta is the perfect companion for Steamed rice
- 250g Chingri Shutki/ Dried Prawn (small size)
- 4 Onion
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- ½ Tsp. Ginger Paste
- 3-4 Green Chili
- 3 Dried Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- Clean dried prawns properly before cooking.
- Wash under running water for 2-3 times followed by washing the shrimps in a bowl full of water.
- Now strain water from the prawns using your hand; as much as you can.
- Chop onions roughly.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry half of the onion crisply to make "Piyaj Beresta" (fried crisp Onion). Leave those aside.
- Now in the same oil fry, two dried Red chilies with the stem on for a minute or till the chilies change color.
- Strain fried chilies from the oil and leave aside.
- Now add washed dried prawns in the remaining oil.
- Start sauteing till water evaporates completely and the prawns started emitting aroma.
- Add remaining chopped onion, ginger and garlic paste and 2-3 green chilies.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes in low flame.
- Cook till the prawns along with onion cooked properly after adding salt.
- Now switch the flame off and give the fried prawn a rest of at least 15 minutes.
- Take cooked prawns along with fried onion, fried red chili and a dash of lemon juice along with little mustard oil in a mixer grinder.
- Make a smooth paste of it.
- Instead of mixer grinder, traditional "Shil Nora" or Shil Batta" can also be used.
- You can serve the Shutki Chingri Bhorta or Dried Prawn Paste as it is with rice. Else
- you can make small balls out of the paste like I did.
- Serve it with steamed rice with a side of green chili and a piece of lemon.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Sodium: 513mg
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
Keywords: shutki chingri bhorta recipe, prawn paste recipe, dried prawn recipe, bengali bhorta recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Bhorta/ Bhate/ Makha recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Maach Makha | Bengali Fish Salad | Maach-er Bhorta
- Masoor Dal Bhorta
- Batabi Lebu Makha | Jambura Bhorta | Pomelo Salad
- Nona Ilish Bhorta aka Nona Ilish Bhuna Recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Mawa Ghater Ilish Macher Lejar Bhorta | Ilish Macher Bhorta
- Posto Diye Laushak Bhate | Bengali Bottle Gourd leaves Mash with Poppyseed Paste
- Potol Bata aka Potol Bhate
Have you tried the Shutki Chingri Bhorta recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here at email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Leave a Reply