They call the rich Mango Milkshake, Mango Mastani in Pune as the drink is as beautiful as Mastani Bai! The famous Mango Mastani indeed is aesthetically beautiful and when it comes to taste; oh my my, it is impossible to restrict to just one glass!
I was planning to post Mango recipes since last few days like I did write in previous summers but somehow was confused with what to right first this year with Mango. I do make several drinks, desserts etc. using mango and drinks with ripe mango are a family favorite. However, Pasta helped me to choose something which is obviously her favorite, the famous drink from Pune, Mango Mastani.
I first time have had Mango Mastani back in 2008 when I was in Pune to attend a conference. I was there for 3 days and didn’t have any friend or family to meet. However, I met a localite during the conference with whom I have visited local shops. He took me to Sujata Mastani, the famous shop for milkshakes (which are known as “Mastani” in Pune). This was for the first time I had tasted the famous drink Mango Mastani. At that time I was not keen to click pictures but somehow I loved the drink and upon returning I started making it at home. Pasta has not been to Pune and she has only tasted the homemade Mango Mastani that I make for her and she adores the thick mango based ice cream loaded drink.
Before going further with the recipe, let me share few relevant details about Mango Mastani. I somehow liked the name a lot and it no hard thing to notice that the name has somehow associated with the famous historical character Mastani Bai who also was from that area. I don’t have any firsthand detail available why this drink is having such a strange name though. In fact, in Pune, you can find different flavors of Mastani drink though among all the popular one is Mango Mastani which they prepare with locally available mangos and they don’t add any preservative to this.
This drink, in fact, is prepared by mixing Mango shake with Vanilla Ice cream and topped with nuts, Cherry, and tutti frutti and the entire combination is so very Indian. Though the local Mango variety is used to make the drink, I prefer to use the Himsagar Mango whenever I am in Kolkata to make Mastani. This milkshake is prepared using very basic ingredients and is a filling one.
- Ripe Mangoes: 4
- Chilled Full Cream Milk: 1 Cup
- Vanilla Ice Cream: 2 Scoop
- Sugar: 2 Tbsp.
- Vanilla/ Mango Ice Cream: 4 Scoop
- Cashew Nut: 10-12
- Pistachio: 10-12
- Reisin: 10-12
- Glazed Cherri: 8-10
- Tutti Frutti: 1 Tbsp.
- Chopped Mango: 2 Tbsp.
- Cut the stem of mangoes and dip in chilled water for one water before chopping the mangoes.
- Now Peel the skin and cut mangoes into small pieces.
- Make a smooth puree of the chopped mangoes.
- Using a blender mix mango puree with chilled milk, sugar and two scoops of ice cream,
- Now take two glasses and pour 1 scoop of ice cream in each glass and pour the milkshake over the ice cream and leave around 3-inch space on the top.
- Top the milkshake with 1 scoop of ice cream and decorate with glazed cherries, cashew nut, pistachio, raisin and Tutti frutti and serve Mango Mastani chilled.
I use homemade Tutti Frutti (recipe can be found here)
I am sending “Mango Mastani” to Kolkata Food Blogger’s “summer fruit” event.