Making Butter at home is a pleasure to me! I just love the creamy texture and pearly color of homemade unsalted Butter and in addition, this process gives me not only homemade butter but Buttermilk too! For me making Butter is nothing but hassle-free since it requires only storing Cream from Milk every day and then little churning to get amazingly tasty Homemade Butter and Buttermilk. Alike every single Indian mother I am also very much particular to add milk to my little one's diet though I personally hate milk ! Hubby loves milk and Pasta never complain about it (till now) and we purchase 1.5 liters milk for every two days. I mostly purchase Full Cream milk and extract the cream after boiling the milk and store that to prepare Butter and Buttermilk.
Though both Butter and Buttermilk are easily available in the market, however, I love to make those with very little effort. I mostly store Cream from the boiled milk in a container for around 15 days and keep it in the Deep-Freezer to get around 250 ml of Ghee. Churning the Cream for 5-7 minutes results in White Butter and residue water is used as Buttermilk.
The Butter comes from churning the Cream is unsalted White Butter. I don’t use homemade Butter while Baking since homemade Butter has a high amount of Water content than store bought one. However, it tastes amazing and I give it to my little one with her portion of Bread after adding a little salt and sometimes use while cooking other dishes. Other than that I make Ghee or Clarified Butter from Homemade unsalted Butter. I mostly serve the Buttermilk extracted from Butter after adding little flavoring and this Buttermilk is a very good Summer Drink.Print
For Making butter and Buttermilk:
- Heavy Cream: 500g
- Chilled Water: 200 ml
- Butter: ¼ Tsp.
- Residue Water from Butter: 200 ml
- Curry Leaves: 2-3
- Asafoetida: 1 pinch
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: ½ Tsp.
- Chilled Water: 1 cup
Making of Butter and Extracting Buttermilk:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Homemade-Butter-and-Buttermilk2.jpg"][/url]
- Extracting Cream from Boiled Milk and Storing the Cream:
- Extract Creevery dayBoiled Milk everyday 10-15 days depending upon the amount of milk available each day.
- I purchase 1.5-liter milk for 2 days and store the cream coming from that milk for 15 days in Deep-Freezer to make Butter or Ghee.
- Normal Heavy Cream available in the market can also be used for making Butter at home.
- Refrigerate Cream before churning for around 30 minutes. If the Cream was stored in Deep-Fridge then keep it in normal freezer shelf for few hours before use.
- Start churning the Cream either using the food processor or with the help of hand mixer by using the whisking attachment.
- It took me 4 minutes of Whipping in Food processor to churn the Cream. You need to whip the cream until you see butter coming from the cream.
- Add 1 Cup of Chilled water and again whip for around 1 minute and you will see butter separating from the water.
- Strain Buttermilk using a Strainer and Keep that aside.
- Take Ice cold water in a bowl and using your hand make ball of butter by extracting the water as much as possible and place Butter balls in ice-cold water for 1 minute.
- Take Butter out of cold water and store for future use.
- This step is optional but I love to flavour my Buttermilk to serve it as a delicious drink.
- In a Wok add ¼ Tsp. of Butter and temper that with Asafoetida and Chopped Curry Leaves and add that tempering to the Buttermilk.
- Add some Chilled Water if required.
- Add Salt and Lime Juice to Buttermilk and mix properly.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins