It’s been a tremendously busy month for me both workwise as well as in home front given Durga Puja is nearby and I have to complete my entire chore before that to enjoy the Puja with the family and obviously to make the Puja more delightful. Nowadays, I am hoping to different places to shop for the close ones including myself. Thanks to all these, I really have very little time to cook even and moreover lesser time for cleaning of my nest.
I personally am a person who prefers to do the regular cleaning of the house. What I found, it is always easy to opt for regular cleaning of the kitchen. Being a foodie and having a family of foodies have opted for several types of cooking ventures and naturally, I prefer to clean my kitchen on regular basis. I try to give an hour on the weekend to clean the places like below the sink, behind microwave oven and even below the refrigerator because I just can’t tolerate watching cockroaches dancing near me while I am in a mood of making something good and tasty in my kitchen. Having a toddler at home and for the wellbeing of the entire family, it is natural to clean the house on regular basis given one single cockroach can cause food poisoning and this is a well-known fact.
I found the use of Lal Hit, a well-known insect killer, to be specific cockroach killer to use on regular basis is really handy to get rid of the cockroaches. I make it a point to apply it along with monthly kitchen cleaning. The deep reach nozzle reaches deep corners and eliminates hidden cockroaches. This makes the kitchen completely clean and hygienic.
As we have already entered Devipaksha and about to celebrate Durga Puja alike each year which is the biggest Bengali festival. We treat Ma Durga as our daughter and beauty of Durga Puja bestowed in the fact that she comes to her parent’s place with her family and we celebrate her homecoming with peace, love, and cleanliness. With those keeping in mind, Bongs clean their home to welcome the beloved daughter!
I love to decorate my place during the Puja and that obviously includes a clean ambiance for sure. During Puja, it is almost a must-have given we have several types of food and sweets in abundant during the festival and I personally cook a lot and Cockroaches are well attracted towards food. So I always make sure that I apply LAL HIT in key places where cockroaches come from and hide (under the refrigerator, behind the dustbin, into the sink, under the shelves etc.).
Coming back to my days specified to cleaning the house, I always prefer to cook something less fussy yet tasty just before starting the cleaning the household. Egg Curry is something I cook quite often whenever I need extra time to give to cleaning or any household chore for that matter as it takes very less time to cook it and “Hansher Dimer Dalna” or Duck Egg Curry is a family favorite. Moreover, It is always felt amazing to have comfort food during the Puja with the family! Do try this easy recipe of Hansher Dimer Dalna with steamed rice and keep cleaning your kitchen for a healthy life!
- Hansher Dim/ Duck Egg: 6
- Potato: 2
- Onion: 2
- Tomato: 1
- Ginger paste: ½ Tsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tsp.
- Dried Red Chili: 1
- Whole Cumin Seed: ½ Tsp.
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Bay leaf: 1
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: ½ Tsp.’
- Garam Masala Powder: ½ tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Ghee: ½ Tsp.
- Boil Duck Egg for 8-10 minutes and cool those under running water and deshell boiled egg.
- Peel Potatoes and cut into halves; chop Onion and Tomato roughly.
- Now sprinkle ⅓ of Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder and salt over boiled eggs and potatoes and rub carefully.
- Now heat oil in a wok and fry boiled eggs till the outer shell turn crunchy and brown in color.
- After those fry Potatoes till those turn golden brown in color and strain from oil.
- Now temper remaining oil with Dried Red Chili, Whole Cumin Seed, Green Cardamom, and Bay leaf.
- Add chopped Onion and fry until the onions turn translucent in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes soften and then add ginger and Garlic paste to the mixture.
- Cook for around 2 minutes or till oil separates from the mixture.
- Now make a paste of remaining Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, and Garam Masala Powder with ½ Tsp. of Mustard oil and add the spice mix to the wok and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add Salt and Sugar at this point.
- Now add fried eggs to the mixture and cook for 2 minutes in low flame and if required add a little water till the spices leave the edge of the pan.
- Now add fried Eggs and pour 3 cups of water into the mixture and cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes or until Potatoes soften completely.
- Add little ghee and mix thoroughly and serve Hansher Dimer Dalna with Steamed Rice.
Wish you all a Happy Durga Puja!
Disclaimer: This post is written in coordination with Godrej Lal Hit.
Have you tried the Hanser Dimer Dalna Recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com or in Instagram you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar or can tag me at @foodofdebjani.