Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry- No frills here - just a delicious and easy-to-make pan-fried Fish recipe. Are you up for it?
- How do you make Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry (with pictures)
- Debjani's Note
- Recipe Card
- Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry Video
- Substitutions while making Tawa fish fry with Rupchand fish
- Top tip
- Pairing Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry
- Food safety
- Loved Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Let's connect over Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry recipe
- Masala Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry pin for you
So there are fish fry recipes and then there are fish fry recipes that stand apart from all the others, like the simple and spicy tawa fish fry with Chinese Pomfret, also known as Rupchand Mach. These days, this pan-fried fish has become a regular part of our Sunday evening snack. Do you know why?
- Rupchand Mach tastes amazing.
- The Rupchand Steck's delicate texture and unique flavor make it a perfect pairing for this spicy fish fry.
- The process is simple enough that even novice cooks can whip up a delicious fish fry in no time.
- This fish is full of nutrients and
- This is not a deep-fried recipe and hence, low on calories!
How do you make Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry (with pictures)
Making Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry is simple yet the end result is incredibly delicious fried fish that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. The best part is that you can make this tasty snack in no time! All you need to do is follow the recipe instructions and you'll be good to go!
The process is simple enough that even beginners can make a delicious fish fry in no time. All you need to do is marinate the fish in a mixture of spices as mentioned in the recipe card, then shallow fry it in a hot pan until it's golden and crisp. Serve with a side of rice or fresh vegetables for a delicious and balanced meal. Whether you're entertaining guests or just cooking for yourself, this fish fry is sure to be a hit.
Step 1 - Clean the fish
Use fresh Rupchand fish for this recipe of Masala Fish Fry.
Step 2 - First Marination
Marinate Rupchanda mach with selected spices as mentioned in the recipe card.
Step 3 - 2nd Marination for Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry
Coat marinated fish with Sooji aka Semolina before shallow-frying.
Step 4 - Shallow-frying Fish- to make perfect pan-fried rupchand fish
Pan-fry on medium flame. Check the recipe video for intricacies. I prefer to use Mustard Oil as a cooking medium. In case you wish to know the substitution, check the card for notes.
Shallow-fry on medium flame until golden and crisp.
Step 5 - Serving Masala Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry
You can serve the Tawa-fried fish as it is with a side of the condiment.
You can also try tawa-fried rupchand fish with a tangy onion mix. The instructions are included in the recipe card and video for your convenience.
Don't overlook Sooji, also known as Semolina! Prior to frying, you have to coat the Rupchand fish. Have a look at the recipe card to find out the exact steps.
Roopchand fish is a popular choice among seafood lovers and is often served as a main course in many Asian restaurants. The fish can also be cooked in a variety of other ways, including steaming, baking, and grilling. It can be served with a variety of accompaniments such as potatoes, rice, or vegetables. No matter how it is prepared, this fish is sure to be a hit with both seafood lovers and health-conscious individuals alike.Print
Making Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry is simple yet the end result is an incredibly delicious dish that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
- 250g Rupchand Fish (round-cut)
For 1st Marination
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Tandoori Masala
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Juice (from 1 Onion)
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Juice (from 2 Tbsp Garlic Paste)
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Juice (from 2 Tbsp Ginger Paste)
For 2nd Marination
- 100g Sooji/ Semolina
- 1 Tsp. Salt
To fry Pan-fried fish
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
To serve Masala Tawa fish fry
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green Chillies
- 4 Tbsp. Marinade from Marination 1. (check notes)
- The remaining oil in the pan used for pan-frying (check notes)
- There will be around 6 pieces in 250g fish.
- Wash and dry Rupchand fish.
- Marinate the Rupchand fish with spices as mentioned in the next step for 15 minutes before frying those.
- Marinate Rupchanda Mach with 1 Tsp. Salt, 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder, 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder, and also 1 Tsp. Tandoori Masala.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice, 1 Tbsp. Onion Juice, 1 Tbsp. Garlic Juice and 1 Tbsp. Ginger Juice as well to the marination. (check notes)
- Coat the fish properly with spices.
- Take 100g Semolina (Sooji) on a plate.
- Smear the Sooji and add 1 Tsp. Salt and mix.
- Now coat marinated fish with Rava aka Sooji.
- Following the same process coat all the Roopchand fish chunks with Semolina.
- Once done, keep the fish in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- There will be some marinade left in the bowl where the fish were kept. Keep that marinade.
To make Tawa fish fry
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil in a Tawa/ Pan on high flame.
- Now shallow fry the coated fish on medium flame.
- Depending on the diameter of the pan you can fry 2-3 fish at a time.
- Fry each side for 2 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, keep flipping to see whether the Rava turned light brown or not.
- Keep the flame medium all through.
- It may take another 1-2 minutes.
- Once done, strain from the pan.
- Following the same process fry the remaining fish.
- The remaining oil in the pan will be used in making the topping as mentioend in below steps.
To make a topping and to serve Tawa fish fry.
- Quickly chop 1 Onion and 2 Green Chillies.
- Use the remaining oil in the pan to fry the onion and green chilies as well on high flame.
- Fry for 1 minute on high flame.
- Add the remaining marinade.
- Fry for 2 minutes to make a spicy topping.
- Top the Tawa-fried Rupchanda Fish with the spicy Onion fry.
- Serve the Rupchand Fish Fry as a starter!
- Grate 1 Onion to extract the juice. Similarly extract juice from 2 Tbsp. each Ginger paste and garlic paste to have 1 Tbsp. each of Ginger juice and garlic juice.
- Mustard Oil works best for this recipe however, you can replace it with other vegetable oil or olive oil.
- For a more delicious yet high-calorie version use Ghee or Butter as a cooking medium.
- I prefer to use a non-stick pan for Tawa Fish Fry.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Fish, Snack
- Method: Pan-frying
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 1449mg
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19.5g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: Tawa Rupchand Fish fry recipe, Rupchanda mach recipe, rupchand fish recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry Video
Substitutions while making Tawa fish fry with Rupchand fish
- Oil - instead of mustard oil, you can use other vegetable oil or olive oil.
- Chili Powder - use black pepper powder instead of chili.
- Spicy - go high on chili powder while marinating the fish to imbue heat into the dish,
- Deluxe - use butter or ghee to shallow-fry the fish!
- Kid-friendly - serve the fried fish with potato fries!
I like to use a non-stick pan, otherwise known as a tawa, when I'm cooking something in a pan. This lets me use less oil when shallow-frying, which is great for recipes like Tawa fry.
I store the marinated fish in the fridge for a certain period of time. Refer to the recipe card to find out the specified duration. Furthermore, you can marinate the fish and place it in an airtight container and leave it in the freezer overnight to give it extra flavor!
Preparing Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry is quite straightforward. Be sure to properly cover the fish in Semolina and let it chill before frying. It is important to be patient when frying as tawa fry requires a bit of time and care.
Rupchanda, also known as Roopchand Fish or Chinese Pomfret, is a highly nutritious and popular fish known for its mild flavor and delicate texture. This fish is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for the healthy functioning of the human body. Omega-3 fatty acids are known to reduce inflammation, improve cognitive function, reduce the risk of heart disease, and help manage autoimmune diseases. This fish is also rich in proteins, vitamins, and minerals, making it an excellent choice for a well-balanced diet.
Rupchand fish is known as Chinese Pomfret.
Rupchand Mach, also known as Chinese Pomfret, is a type of freshwater fish that is commonly found in many Asian countries. This species is highly sought after due to its tender texture and subtle flavor, which make it a great choice for preparing a delectable fried dish called Tawa fish fry. You can cook Rupchanda mach in a variety of other ways, including steaming, baking, and grilling.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Topse Maacher Fry | Topse Fish Fry | Mango Fish Fry1 hour
- Biyebarir Fish Butter Fry aka Bhetki Batter Fry50 minsINR 800 for recipe
- Mangalorean Rava Pomfret Fry55 minutes
- Macher Dimer Bora | Bengali Fish Roe Fritters30 minsINR 50/ Serving
Pairing Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry
These are my favorite dishes to serve with this Tawa Fish Fry in case I am serving this as part of a Bengali Meal. Else you can have it with Tea or Coffee of your choice.
- Bengali Veg Daal | Picnic Special Vegetable Daal | Shobji Diye Moong Dal | Yellow Split Pea cooked with Veggies35 minutes
- Jhuri Aloo Bhaja35 mins
- Mochar Ghonto Narkel ar Bhaja Bori diye | Bengali Banana Blossom Curry1 hour 30 minutes
- Mangshor Jhol (Bengali light Mutton curry) in a Pressure Cooker!45 minutesINR 800 for the recipe
- It is important to avoid using the same utensils on cooked food that have previously come in contact with raw fish.
- Always remember to wash your hands after handling raw fish and carefully inspect it before purchasing.
- If the fish has been frozen, inspect it once again after it has thawed.
- Avoid leaving food out at room temperature for prolonged periods of time and never leave cooking food unattended.
- When cooking, use oils with high smoking points to prevent harmful compounds and always ensure good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Loved Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Chal Potol (also known as Pointed Gourd cooked with Aromatic Gobindobhog Rice)
- Bengali Muslim Style Boot-er Dal Murgi (also known as Chana Dal with Chicken | Cholar Dal Murgi diye)
- Titar Dal (also known as Ucche Diye Moong Dal Recipe)
- Easy Indian Chicken Curry Recipe for Beginners
- Bengali Rui Macher Jhol Jhinge, Aloo diye (also known as light Bengali fish curry with veggies)
Let's connect over Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry recipe
Please inform me of your experience and feel free to send a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, you can find me on various social media platforms such as Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Pinterest, Google News, X, and Thread. Don't forget to use the hashtag #debjanirrannaghar when sharing your attempts at my recipes or if you have any questions or recipe requests.