Bhapa Bhetki aka Bhetki Mach Bhapa is a type of steamed fish curry from Bengal that involves steaming Indian Barramundi fish with a base of mustard, yogurt, and coconut paste. This flavorful dish is both tangy and spicy, and the best part is that there's no need to fry the fish!
Bhapa Bhetki a Bengali delicacy involves steaming Indian Baramundi fish with a curry base made from a mixture of mustard, yogurt, and coconut paste. The unique blend of flavors and spices used in this dish makes it a standout among other fish recipes.
- Debjani's Note
- Dishes you can make with Bhetki Mach
- Top tip - to cook Perfect Bhapa Bhetki
- FAQ - Shorshe diye Bhetki Bhapa
- Bhetki Mach Bhapa Step-by-step Recipe
- Recipe Card
- Recipe Video - Bhetki Mach Bhapa Shorshe, Narkel, Doi Diye | ভাপা ভেটকি | Bengali Bhetki Macher Bhapa Recipe |
- Pairing Bhetki Mach Bhapa
- Food safety while cooking Bhetki Mach Bhapa
- Easy Bengali Fish Recipes
- Have you tried the Bengali Bhapa Bhetki Mach recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Here's the Bhetki Macher Shorshe Bhapa Pin for your Pinterest Board!
Bhetki is a highly sought-after fish that is widely used in Bengali cuisine. Known for its delicate flavor and firm texture, this fish is a favorite among seafood lovers. In fact, Bhetki is considered to be one of the most expensive fish in the market due to its high demand.
I prefer using minimal ingredients to prepare a simple Bhapa maach recipe, which is also known as Bhapa Bhetki Mach and requires fresh fish. Typically, Mach Bhapa involves fresh fish, Mustard Paste, Coconut, Yogurt, and a few spices. Bhapa Bhetki is great because it doesn't require frying the fish before cooking, making it a healthier option that preserves the fish's natural flavors and nutrients. Additionally, the steaming process ensures that the fish remains moist and tender, making it a perfect choice for those who want their fish cooked to perfection.
Dishes you can make with Bhetki Mach
One of the most popular ways of cooking Bhetki is by frying it. Whether it is Bhetki Macher Fry, Batter Fry, or Fish Kobiraji, good quality Bhetki works best. The crispy and golden-brown exterior of the fish complements its tender flesh perfectly, making it a delicious and satisfying meal.
Another way of preparing Bhetki is by making Kolkata-style Chinese - Chili Fish. Bhetki fillet is the best fish to use for this recipe as it is firm and holds its shape well when cooked. The spicy and tangy flavors of the dish make it a favorite among those who love Chinese cuisine.
Apart from frying and preparing Chinese-style dishes, we use Bhetki to make traditional Bengali delicacies such as Bhetki Paturi. This dish involves marinating the fish in a mixture of spices and wrapping it in banana leaves before steaming it. The result is a flavorful and aromatic dish that is perfect for special occasions.
At home, Mehebub is responsible for grilling Bhetki. He has perfected the art of grilling the fish to perfection, resulting in a smoky and flavorful dish that is hard to resist. Whenever we pick up baby Bhetki, Mehebub makes an amazing grilled fish that we enjoy a lot, especially our little one, Pasta.
- Bhetki Mach
- Mustard Paste
- Plain Yogurt / Plain Curd
- Coconut Paste
- Green Chili
- Turmeric Powder
- Red Chili Powder
- Mustard Oil
See the recipe card for quantities.
To prepare Bhapa Bhetki, the fish is first marinated in a mixture of spices mixing together with mustard, yogurt, and coconut paste, and then placed in a steamer.
Make a paste with Yellow Mustard Seed, Black Mustard Seed, and Salt along with ½ Cup water.
Strain mustard paste into a bowl.
Add plain yogurt.
Add Coconut Paste.
Whisk until blended and creamy.
Add Mustard Oil.
Now add turmeric powder, salt, and red chili powder. Check the recipe card below for measurements.
Mix and then add water and green chilies.
Add Bhetki Mach. Check the recipe card for measurement and fish cut.
Put the fish in a metal container with a secure lid or tiffin box.
Add at least 3 cups of water and a metal support in the vessel.
Put the tiffin box with fish inside and cover it with a lid. Cook on low flame
After turning off the heat and removing the tiffin box, let it stand for half an hour and then open the lid.
Lightly mix with a spoon and serve bhapa bhetki hot with steamed rice.
For the ultimate taste, I suggest using freshly grated coconut, freshly made mustard paste, and fresh yogurt when cooking fish. In addition, using mustard oil is a must when making bhetki maacher bhapa at home.
To perfectly steam the fish, I recommend using a sturdy and compact metal container, commonly known as a tiffin box. You can refer to the one used in the bhapa bhetki recipe video for better understanding.
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don't fake it - only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Mustard Paste - Instead of homemade mustard paste, you can use store-bought mustard powder.
- Yogurt- use plain curd instead of yogurt and vice versa.
- Mustard Oil - Mustard oil can be replaced with other varieties if not available or if you do not like the flavor of mustard oil.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or banana peppers.
- Deluxe - add some coconut milk
- Kid-friendly - reduce heat or use Kashmiri chili instead
The equipment used in cooking can greatly affect the outcome of a recipe. To create steamed Bengali dishes such as bhapa mach, bhapa dim, bhapa doi, bhapa Ilish Maach, Bhapa Salmon and bhapa mishti, a high-quality metal container with a tight-fitting lid such as a stainless steel tiffin box is essential. If using a microwave oven to steam, it is important to use plastic or glass containers.
Don't keep bhetki macher bhapa in the fridge for more than a day. We steam the fish instead of frying it.
Top tip - to cook Perfect Bhapa Bhetki
Bhapa Bhetki is a dish that is deeply rooted in the culinary traditions of the Bengali community. This delicious fish dish is made by steaming Indian Barramundi fish, which is also known as Barramundi or Asian seabass. The dish is prepared with a rich and flavorful curry base that is made from a mixture of mustard, yogurt, and coconut paste.
The mustard used in the dish is a crucial ingredient that gives the Bhapa Bhetki its distinctive taste and aroma. The mustard is ground into a fine paste and mixed with yogurt and coconut paste to create a creamy and spicy sauce. The sauce is then poured over the fish and steamed until it is cooked to perfection.
FAQ - Shorshe diye Bhetki Bhapa
Bhetki Machis not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. Baramundi fish is a rich source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for maintaining good health.
One of the great things about Bhapa Bhetki is that you don't need to fry the fish before cooking. This means that it is a healthier option than many other fish dishes. The steaming process ensures that the fish retains its natural juices and flavors, while the curry base adds a delicious kick.
The mustard used in the curry base is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, while yogurt and coconut paste are both great sources of probiotics.
You can very easily remove the bones and Bhetki Fillet is widely used in making Bhetki Fish Fry, Chili Fish, Fish Kobiraji, Bhetki Paturi, and other delicacies.
Bhetki Mach Bhapa Step-by-step RecipePrint
Bhapa Bhetki, also known as Bhetki Mach Bhapa, is a Bengali dish that features steamed Indian Barramundi fish cooked with a mixture of mustard, yogurt, and coconut paste. This dish is characterized by its spicy and tangy flavor, and the best part is that the fish doesn't need to be fried!
- 6 Pieces of Bhetki Mach/ Indian Barramundi Fish (Bengali Cut)
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seed
- 1 Tbsp. Black Mustard Seed
- 150g Plain Yogurt/ Plain Curd
- 1 cup Coconut Paste
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp. Salt
- 6 Green Chillies
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- To make the curry paste for steamed fish, mix 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard seeds and 1 tablespoon of black mustard seeds into a fine paste.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ cup of water to the mixture.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before filtering it.
- Strain the paste into a bowl and add plain yogurt or curd.
- Whisk it until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Add homemade coconut paste and whisk it thoroughly.
- Then, add 4 tablespoons of Mustard Oil to create a distinct pungent taste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of red chili powder, 2 teaspoons of salt, 6 green chilies, and 4 tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Begin by adding 1.5 cups of water to a mixing bowl.
- Break 4-5 Green Chillies and add them to the bowl.
- Clean 6 pieces of Bhetki fish and add them to the bowl.
- Mix the fish thoroughly with the flavorful sauce.
- Allow the fish to rest for at least 30 minutes before steaming to ensure that the spices are well blended.
- Place the fish in a metal container with a secure lid or a metal tiffin box.
- Cover the tiffin box and ensure it is properly sealed.
- To steam the fish, use a double boiler method by placing the tiffin box over a water bath inside a vessel with a well-fitting lid.
- Use a metal support or improvise with a small metal dish.
- Add at least 3 cups of water to fully submerge the stand and then place the tiffin box with the fish inside.
- Securely seal the container and place the lid on top.
- Then, turn on the heat and put the vessel in place.
- To ensure proper cooking, maintain a low flame for 30 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, check to see if any water has evaporated and add more if necessary.
- Continue cooking for another 20 minutes until the total cooking time reaches 30 minutes.
- Once finished, turn off the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes before removing the tiffin box from the hot container.
- After half an hour has passed, take out the tiffin box and uncover it.
- Your Bhapa Bhetki is now ready to be served!
- The mustard paste is a crucial ingredient that gives the dish its unique aroma and taste.
- If you don't have mustard seeds, you can use mustard powder.
- If you're not familiar with the Bengali cut for fish, ask the fishmonger for assistance.
- Avoid using plastic or glass containers for steaming and use a sturdy stainless steel container instead if using flame. For Microwave steaming you need to use either plastic or glass container but not metal.
- Prep Time: 10min
- Standing Time: 30min
- Cook Time: 30min
- Category: Fish
- Method: Steaming
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 125g
- Calories: 446
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 1341mg
- Fat: 28.5g
- Saturated Fat: 13.4g
- Carbohydrates: 8.6g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 37.9g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
Keywords: bhetki bhapa recipe, bhetki macher bhapa recipe, bhetki macher jhal recipe, bhapa bhetki recipe, Debjanir Rannaghar
Recipe Video - Bhetki Mach Bhapa Shorshe, Narkel, Doi Diye | ভাপা ভেটকি | Bengali Bhetki Macher Bhapa Recipe |
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Pairing Bhetki Mach Bhapa
Bhapa Bhetki is a versatile dish that you can enjoy with rice. It is perfect for special occasions or for a comforting meal at home. If you're looking to try something new and exciting, give Bhapa Bhetki a try and discover the unique flavors of Bengali cuisine.
Food safety while cooking Bhetki Mach Bhapa
Don't use utensils for cooked food that were used for fish before. Additionally, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw fish and always use fresh fish. It is also important to refrain from leaving food out at room temperature for too long and to never leave cooking food unattended. Lastly, make sure there is proper ventilation when cooking with a gas stove.
Easy Bengali Fish Recipes
- Shorshe Posto Mach (also known as Rui Maach Shorshe Posto Bata Diye)
- Narkel Doodh-e Ilish Mach (also known as Hilsa Fish Curry with Coconut Milk)
- Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry (also known as Masala Fish Fry with Rupchanda Mach) Recipe with Video
- Bengali Rui Macher Jhol Jhinge, Aloo diye
- Mourola Maacher Tel Chorchori Kacha Aam Diye
- Piajkoli ar Aloo diye Tangra Macher Jhol (also known as Bengali Light fish curry prepared with Tyangra Maach, Onion Stalks and Potato)
- Maach Makha (also known as Bengali Fish Salad | Maach-er Bhorta)
- Bhetki Maacher Aloo Phulkopi diye Kalia (also known as Light Fish Curry with Potato & Cauliflower)
Have you tried the Bengali Bhapa Bhetki Mach recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making the prawns following my recipe. You can share here at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. In addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani. On Thread, I am available as foodofdebjani!