“There’s chana in the fridge mom! Dadu bought some last week when he was staying with Coffee and we were traveling!”
Our Pattaya Bangkok trip!
Chana Bhapa and how do I cook it!
Chana Bhapa Vs. Chanar Paturi!
Here’s how I make Chana Bhapa at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Serves: 4 People
- Serving size: 75g
- Calories: 279
- Fat: 23.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrates: 7.6g
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 885mg
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Chana/ Cottage Cheese/ Paneer: 250g
- Green Chilli: 5-6
- Cilantro/ Coriander leaves: a few
- Plain curd: 75g
- Yellow Mustard Seed: 1 Tbsp.
- Black Mustard Seed: 1 Tbsp.
- Coconut Paste: 2 Tbsp.
- Poppyseed Paste: 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder: ¼ Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Soak both the mustard seeds in water with a little salt for 15 minutes.
- Make a paste of the mustard seeds and then strain it to remove the husk.
- Discard the water/ moisture from the Chana.
- Mash it using a spoon or your fingers.
- Now add mustard paste, coconut paste, poppyseed paste, turmeric powder, salt, chopped coriander and also chopped green chilies to the chana.
- Add mustard oil as well.
- Mix everything to make a smooth mixture and transfer the mixture to a tiffin box/ container with a lid.
- In case using paneer cubes instead of massed chana or crumbled paneer coat the cubes in the mixture of the spices and transfer it to the container with a lid.
- Next part is to steam the chana or "Bhapano" which can be done in different ways which I am explaining below:
- Take the mixture in a metal container filled with a lid.
- Pour some water in the pressure cooker and place the box inside over a stand.
- Place the lid and put the weight and cook on medium flame till 2 whistles coming out from the cooker.
- Wait till the pressure drops and open the lid.
- Wait till the box can be touched and then open it.
- The process is the same as above.
- After placing the lid cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Take the mixture in an oven-safe container and microwave it on medium temperature for 20 minutes.
Bengali Vegetarian recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Shukto (Also known as Shuktoni)
- Begun Basanti (Also known as Bengali Begun Bashonti)
- Lau Shaker Chorchori (also known as Bengali Vegetarian Mishmash with Bottle Gourd Greens)
- Sheemer Jhal (also known as Bengali Shorshe Sheem or Broad Bean Curry with Mustard Paste)
- Sada Aloo Chorchori (Also known as Bengali Aloo chorchori
- Bori Aloor Jhal (also known as Bengali Bori’r Jhal)
- Labra (Also known as Bengali Labra Tarkari)
- Katoya Data Chorchori (Also known as Bengali Style Mix-veg with Drumsticks)
- Kochu Shak er Ghonto (Also known as Taro Leaf Mishmash)
- Palong Shaker Ghonto (Also known as Bengali Spinach mishmash)
Have you tried the Bengali Chana Bhapa recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.