What can complement the Khichuri lunch of wintery afternoon best! Well, for me it is nothing but a crispy Beguni and Palong Shaker Ghonto a.k.a Niramish Ghonto especially when I crave for no onion no garlic platter. Obviously, there are other dishes I cherish whenever I am on leave or enjoying the holiday but at times I prefer simple Bengali meal like this.
In fact, a simple meal of Masoorir Dal along with Palong Shager Ghonto and steamed rice is equally good.
Though Ghonto can be prepared along with Fish head as well however I am a fan of the No onion No garlic Niramish Ghonto! I still remember the Khichuri and Palong Shaker Ghonto feast of Saraswati Puja when I was in School. arrangements were limited but not the taste.
Palong Shaker Ghonto!
Palong Shaker Ghonto is basically a Vegetarian dish prepared with various veggies that include Eggplant, Radish, Potato etc. and obviously Spinach plays the lead role! In Bengali, Ghonto stands for a semi massed mixed-Veg and it is mostly tempered with Bengali five spices which are known as Panch Phoron. Here I must mention, I do use the radish leaves as well along with Spinach. This is completely optional however, radish leaves give amazing flavor to the mishmash.
Here’s how I cook Palong Shaker Ghonto!
- Serves: 4-5 People
- Serving size: 65g
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 28.6g
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 294mg
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Spinach: 1 bunch
- Potato: 2(big)
- Eggplant: 1(big)
- Radish: 1
- Radish Leaf: a Few (optional)
- Pumpkin: 100 g
- Panch Phoron (Whole): 1 Tsp.
- Panch Phoron (Powder): 1 Tsp.
- Dry Red Chilli: 2-4
- Red chili powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tsp. (optional)
- Salt: to taste
- Bori/ Sun-dried lentil dumpling: 10-15
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Peel and cut all the vegetable except spinach into cubes.
- Chop a bunch of spinach and microwave it for one minute or blanch it in boiling water for 5 minutes. (I always prefer to microwave green veggies).
- Do the same with Radish leave.
- Hit oil in a pan and fry Bori (also known as sun-dried lentil dumpling).
- Temper remaining oil with cracked red chili and also Panch Phoron and allow spices to splutter.
- Add potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Now add other veggies except spinach and also radish leaves.
- At this point over the pan and cook until veggies soften.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder, Panch Phoron Powder, sugar and also salt.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Now add chopped spinach and also Radish leave and sauté until spinach mix properly with other veggies.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 more minutes in low flame till the veggies soften and release moisture.
- Add Fried Bori in between.
- Remove the mix-veg from flame and serve it hot with Khichuri or Steamed Rice.
You may use any other oil instead of Mustard oil, however, the pungent flavor of mustard oil makes ghonto more flavorful.
Radish leaves are optional however given brilliant flavor to the dish. You may skip it if you are not a radish fan.
Few More Bengali No Onion No Garlic Dishes apart from Palong Shaker Ghonto:
- Panch Mishali Tarkari (also known as Bengali Mishmash)
- Kumror Chakka (also known as Bengali Pumkin mishmash)
- Narkel diye Niramish Ghugni (also known as bengali yellow pea curry)
- Katoya Data Chorchori (also known a as Bengali mishmash with greens)
*Pictures updated in 2018.