Palong Shaker Ghonto is a no onion no garlic mishmash aka medley prepared with spinach and a few more veggies!
What can complement the Khichuri lunch of wintery afternoon best? Well, for me it is nothing but a crispy Beguni and Palong Shaker Ghonto a.k.a Niramish Ghonto especially when I crave no onion no garlic platter. Obviously, there are other dishes I cherish whenever I am on leave or enjoying the holiday but at times I prefer simple Bengali meals like this.
In fact, a simple meal of Masoorir Dal along with Palong Shager Ghonto and steamed rice is equally good. Though Ghonto can be prepared along with Fish head as well however I am a fan of the No onion No garlic Niramish Ghonto! I still remember the Khichuri and Palong Shaker Ghonto feast of Saraswati Puja when I was in school.
Palong Shaker Ghonto!
Palong Shaker Ghonto is basically a Vegetarian dish prepared with various veggies that include Eggplant, Radish, Potato, etc. and obviously Spinach plays the lead role! In Bengali, Ghonto stands for a semi massed mixed-Veg and it is mostly tempered with Bengali five spices which are known as Panch Phoron. Here I must mention, I do use radish leaves as well along with Spinach. This is completely optional however, radish leaves give amazing flavor to the mishmash.
Palong Shaker Ghonto is a Bengali-style mishmash prepared with Spinach, Potato, Eggplant Pumpkin, Radish, and sundried lentil dumplings aka Bori, and is tempered with Panch Phoron
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 Potato: (big)
- 1 Eggplant (big)
- 1 Radish
- 3 Radish Leaf (optional)
- 100g Pumpkin
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron (Whole)
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron (Powder)
- 4 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp. Red chili powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 15 Bori/ Sun-dried lentil dumplings
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Peel and cut all the vegetables except spinach into cubes.
- Chop a bunch of spinach and microwave it for one minute or blanch it in boiling water for 5 minutes. (I always prefer to microwave green veggies).
- Do the same with Radish leaves.
- Hit oil in a pan and fry Bori (also known as sun-dried lentil dumplings).
- Temper remaining oil with cracked red chili and also Panch Phoron and allow spices to splutter.
- Add potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add other veggies except spinach and also radish leaves.
- At this point over the pan and cook until veggies soften.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder, Panch Phoron Powder, sugar, and also salt.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Now add chopped spinach and also Radish leave and sauté until spinach mix properly with other veggies.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 more minutes on low flame till the veggies soften and release moisture.
- Add Fried Bori in between.
- Remove the mix-veg from the flame and serve it hot with Khichuri or Steamed Rice.
- Sugar is optional however it balances the flavors.
- You may use any other oil instead of Mustard oil, however, the pungent flavor of mustard oil makes ghonto more flavorful.
- Radish leaves are optional however give brilliant flavor to the dish. You may skip it if you are not a radish fan.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 65g
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 294mg
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 28.6g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: palong shaker ghonto recipe, bengali spinach recipe, palong shager ghonto recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Bengali No onion no garlic recipes
- Lau Shaker Chorchori (also known as Bengali Vegetarian Mishmash with Bottle Gourd Greens)
- Tell-a-tale of Luchi Sada Aloo Chorchori Breakfast | Sada Aloo Chorchori Recipe
- Mochar Ghonto Narkel ar Bhaja Bori diye (also known as Bengali Banana Blossom Curry)
- Kochu Shak er Ghonto (also known as Taro Leaf Mishmash)
- Phulkopir Singara | Kolkata style Fulkopir Shingara Recipe
- Begun Basanti (also known as Bengali Begun Bashonti)
- Aloo Phulkopir Dalna | Phulkopi Aloor Dalna
- Paneer er Dalna | Niramish Paneer Er Torkari
- Papor er Dalna (also known as Bengali Papad Curry)
- Chanar Dalna (also known as Bengali Cottage Cheese and Potato Curry)
Have you tried the Bengali Palong Shak er Ghonto recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe. You can share here at email@example.com. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.