Bongs love their Luchi along with a bowl full of Phulkopi Aloor Dalna aka Aloo Phulkopir Dalna and this dish is completely different from famous North Indian "Aloo Gobhi". "DALNA" is a typical Bengali vegetarian gravy dish. "CHANAR DALNA", "DHOKAR DALNA" etc are also equally famous and both the recipes are already there on my blog.Dalna is a subtle curry cooked with a tempering of asafoetida and ginger. The cut of the veggies makes it different from other Bengali curries.
A rich gravy prepared with no onion and no garlic, loaded with the aroma of Ginger and asafoetida and with big chunks of Potatoes and fried Cauliflower is equal to Aloo Phulkopir Dalna. This is a quintessential Bengali side dish prepared with cauliflower and Potato and is a signature dish considered among vegetarian Bengali side dishes.
Phulkopi Aloor Dalna along with Bhoger Khichuri!
This post will not be complete if I skip mentioning the amazing combo of Phulkopi Aloor Dalna and Niramish Khichuri. This is a Pujor Bhog special and needless to say no onion no garlic combo.Print
Bengali Phulkopi Aloo Dalna Aka Aloo Phulkopi Dalna is a no onion no garlic delicacy cooked with big chunks of Cauliflower and Potatoes
- 6 Aloo /Potato (Medium Size) cut into two halves
- 1 Phulkopi / Cauliflower (medium size) cut into medium sized florets
- ½ cup Green Peas (optional)
- 2 Tomato; medium size
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger paste
- ½ Tsp. Cumin Seed
- 1 Tsp. Cumin powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- ½ Tsp. Asafoetida / Hing
- ½ Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder (I prefer to use Kashmiri Red Chili Powder)
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 2 Bay leave
- 2 Dried Red Chili
- Refined Vegetable Oil for deep-frying
- ½ Tbsp. Ghee
- Cut Potatoes into half and Cauliflower into medium sized pieces.
- Make a smooth puree of tomatoes.
- Rub salt and Turmeric Powder to Potatoes and cauliflower pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry potatoes till those turn golden
- Now fry cauliflower florets until those turn golden brown
- Keep both the fried veggies aside.
- Temper remaining oil with Bay leaf, Red Chilli, Cumin Seed and add Asafoetida after mixing with 1 Tbsp. water.
- Add tomato puree and ginger paste to the tempering and sauté for two minutes.
- Add Cumin Powder, Garam Masala Powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Sugar and Salt and sauté till oil comes out from the mixture.
- Now add Green Peas (optional).
- Add fried potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add 1 Cup of Water and cook for 5 minutes in low flame with a lid on till Potatoes soften.
- Now add fried cauliflower and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and boil the “DALNA” in medium flame till desired consistency and/or aroma comes from the gravy.
- Add Ghee and mix it well with the Dalna.
- Switch the flame off and serve it hot with LUCHI”, “KOCHURI” or ”PARATHA” or “RICE”.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 250g
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Sodium: 537mg
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 49.8g
- Fiber: 10.2g
- Protein: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Keywords: Aloo Phulkopir Dalna recipe, Phulkopi aloo Dalna recipe, Bengali aloo gobi recipe, debjanir rannagfhar
Aloo Phulkapir Dalna can be served with Luchi / Kachori / Paratha or Rice and obviously with Khichuri.
Few more Bengali Recipes apart from Aloo Phulkopir Dalna from Debjanir Rannaghar:
Have you tried the Phulkopi aloor Dalna aka Aloo Phulkopir Torkari recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.