Our taste in food changes over the period at least that is what happened to me! I do not remember liking the greens while growing up. However, now I prefer having those and that too willingly. Chorchori, Labra, Chyanchra, etc (basically Bengali mishmashes) had never been part of my preferred list but now I love eating those. One such dish is Lau Shaker Chorchori or Bengali Vegetarian Mishmash with Bottle Gourd Greens. I do not remember eating this willingly, however, now whenever I get fresh Lau Shak or Bottle Gourd greens I for sure purchase it. Apart from the Chorchori I do make Posto diye Lau Shak Bhate or Posto diye Lau Shak as well.
- Bengali Mishmash; the hotchpotch of versatility!
- Lau Shaker Chorchori aka Bengali Vegetarian Mishmash with Bottle Gourd Greens!
- Here's how I make Lau Shaker Chorchori at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Recipe Card
- Mishmash/ Hotchpotch recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Have you tried the Lau Shager Ghonto recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Here's the Lau Shaker Ghonto Pin for your Pinterest Board!
Maa these day laughs at me when she watches me eating the greens. She probably remembers my growing-up years when I used to throw tantrums whenever served such dishes. With Pasta, however, the case is different. She likes veggies and greens if cooked properly. In fact, she loves Bengali vegetarian chorchoris. It is the same with Mehebub as well. He has grown up eating hostel food where the options were limited. He likes the traditional dishes which were not there when he was growing up.
Bengali Mishmash; the hotchpotch of versatility!
Mishmash in Bengali cuisine is highly versatile. We at times call it labra, at times Chyanchra; sometimes Ghonto, and at times Chorchori. These are all prepared with veggies, with or without greens, and with or without fish or meat! All the names of different kinds of Bengali hotchpotches I have shared are characterized by different cuts of veggies! We at times use Ghee while making those; at times skip it if the recipe demands it.
Even Chorchori can be prepared with or without Greens! To make Chorchori we cut the veggies into small cubes and added greens into long strips. It can be both vegetarian and non-vegetarian.
Lau Shaker Chorchori aka Bengali Vegetarian Mishmash with Bottle Gourd Greens!
Talking about Lau Shaker Chorchori, it is not only Vegetarian but Vegan, at least the way I have learned to cook it from my mother and mother-in-law. Surprisingly they both follow the same recipe while making Lau Shaker Chorchori. We cook two different dishes with bottle gourd greens as I already mentioned. One is a mishmash and another is semi-mashed greens with poppy seed paste. I add all the seasonal veggies as well as whatever available at home while making the chorchori along with potato. Bori not only works as a filler but also makes the dish complete.
Here's how I make Lau Shaker Chorchori at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Lau Shaker Chorchori is Bengali Vegetarian and Vegan Mishmash prepared with Bottle Gourd Greens and other veggies
- 2 whole sticks Lau Shak/ Bottle Gourd Greens
- 1 Potato (Big)
- 1 Eggplant/ Begun/ Baingan
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Jhinge/ Ridge Gourd (optional)
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp. Bengali five spices/ Panch Phoron
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 10 Bori/ Vadi/ Bengali sundried lentil dumplings (optional)
- Wash the greens thoroughly and cut them into long strips. Use both the stem and leaves.
- If possible microwave the greens for 2 minutes or wash them under hot water.
- Peel the skin and cut all the veggies using into small cubes.
- Heat half of the oil and fry Bori and strain from the oil.
- Add remaining oil and temper the oil with Bengali five spices and dry red chili.
- Now add Potato cubes and cook on medium flame until the potatoes are half cooked.
- Add the rest of the veggies except the greens and cook for 2-3 minutes after adding turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar, and also salt.
- Now add the greens and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame until the greens release moisture.
- Once the moisture is released, mix again and cook till the moisture evaporates and the mishmash is properly cooked with the shape of the veggies intact.
- Add fried Bori and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice and Daal.
- If available add other veggies such as carrots, radishes, sweet potatoes, Pumpkin, etc.
- You can skip veggies you don't like or are not allowed to take. For example, Potato can completely be skipped or substituted with Carrot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 774mg
- Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3g
- Fiber: 17.7g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: lau shaker chorchori recipe, bengali chorchori recipe, bottle gourd recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Mishmash/ Hotchpotch recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Pui Chingri Ghonto (also known as Malabar Spinach Mishmash with Prawns and also with Potato and Pumpkin)
- Kochu Saag er Ghonto (Also known as Mashed Taro Leaves mishmash)
- Muri Ghonto (Also known as Bengali Fish Head and Rice Mishmash)
- Palong Shaker Ghonto (Also known as Spinach and veggie mishmash)
- Macher Teler Chorchori (Also known as Fish Fat Mishmash with Potatoes and Eggplant)
- Katoya Data Chorchori (Also known as Bengali Style Mix-veg with Drumsticks)
- Sada Aloo Chorchori (also known as Bengali Potato mishmash with nigella seed)
- Chanchra (Also known as Bengali “Mishmash” with Fish Head,Veggies and greens)
Have you tried the Lau Shager Ghonto recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here at firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani. On Facebook, I can be contacted through Debjanir Rannaghar by Debjani Chatterjee Alam page and you can use @foodofdebjani over Instagram/ Facebook/ Twitter to connect with me!