The weather outside is soothing; neither much chilly nor summery as well. As if the sun is kissing the skin lightly. This morning I wanted some me time; I wanted to write basically. I was not sure what it would be! Then I decided to pick a simplest of the simple dish. I decided to write about Bengali Sada Aloo Chorchori, a simple potato staple as beautiful as the weather outside. I requested Mehebub to drop me at the office instead of me driving from the midway. He was ready to drop me though asked for a bribe which will be dining out at a small joint in Ripon Street. Needless to say, I told him yes.
The recipe given here is the basic Sada Aloo Chorchori, which can be modified a bit. You can check note for the same
- Potato: 5-6 (big size)
- Green Chili: 4-5
- Kalojire/ Kalonji/ Nigella seed: ½ Tsp.
- Hing/ Asafoetida: ½ Tsp.
- Crushed Black Pepper: ½ teaspoon (Optional)
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Peel the skin and cut Potatoes into 1" cubes.
- Wash potato cubes under running water and keep those in a bowl full of water to restrict blackening of potatoes.
- In a Deep pan heat Mustard Oil and temper the Oil with Nigella Seed and Asafoetida.
- Add Potato cubes and stary frying on low flame for around 5-7 minutes.
- Now add salt to the potatoes.
- Add Slit Green Chillies in between and keep stirring.
- Add 2 cups of Water to cover the potatoes.
- Cover the pan with a lid and keep cooking on low flame till water evaporates.
- You need to cook till potatoes soften and turned semi-mushy. You may refer to the picture.
- Once done, add Ghee and mix thoroughly and you are done!
- Serve it with your choice of bread.
I prefer to add crushed black pepper which is completely optional.
I have seen people adding Sugar to Aloo Chorchori, so if you wish you can add too and the same is applies to Turmeric Powder.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
Sada Aloo Chorchori Recipe Video: