Unappealing look, prepared with the parts of the fish mostly people discard, Macher Teler Chorchori is the plain Jane of Bengali Cuisine for sure. Then you know, life is not only about look and so is food. One of the underrated dishes, you need to savor Macher Teler Chorchori to understand the inner beauty (read the taste). While clicking the bowl full of Macher Teler Chorchori, I was almost irritated given I was not able to click something appealing. Then it came to my mind, I don’t need to, the dish even without the vibrant look is capable enough to share the story of taste.
Macher Tel stands for the combination of fish fat, fish liver, and the intestine. Well, the parts we discard generally isn’t it but not the Bengalis though. We not only make Maacher Tel er Chorchori which is basically a mishmash of fish-fat and potatoes and eggplant but some other dishes also. We at times, fry it and serve with plain rice and make fritters (Macher Tel er Bora) as well.
They say it is good to have Macher tel to limit the triglyceride problem given the combination of fish fat, fish liver, and the intestine is Omega 3 fatty acid rich. However, I am not a specialist and hence, this needs to be checked.
Coming to the Macher Teler Chorchori I was talking about, this used to be a regular item at my North Calcutta residence. I have never seen my father or uncle to purchase the whole fish by discarding the Macher Tel. Boudi (my sister law) used to make meal Macher Teler Chorchori and first few spoons of rice were meant for the Chorchori only back then.
Probably the way I grew up in a joint family, till date I don’t discard the Macher Tel either whenever I purchase whole fish. Throwing the food was never an option then and not even now. I prefer my portion of Maacher Teler Chorchori with plain rice however, Mehebub likes it with Roti.
The recipe of Macher Teler Chorchori calls for around 200g of fish fat, fish liver, and the intestine from any big fish. Here, I have used the parts of Bhetki Maach aka Local Barramundi. Though any fish can be used, however, Bhetki Maach makes the mishmash more flavorful, needless to say. Potato and Eggplant are the veggies I use apart from Onion, ginger, and garlic. In fact, these are the things I have seen my family using while making the fish fat, fish liver, and the Macher Teler Chorchori and I follow the family heirloom recipe while making this.
- Serves: 5 People
- Serving size: 75g
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 33.1g
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 528mg
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Fish Fat, Intestine and fish Liver/ Macher Tel: 200g
- Potato: 3
- Eggplant: 1
- Onion: 3
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Green Chili: 4-5
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Wash the Fish portions aka Macher Tel (Fish Fat, Intestine and fish Liver).
- Marinate Macher Tel with ½ Tsp. of Turmeric Powder, ½ Tsp. of Kashmiri Red Chili Powder and salt.
- Chop Onion roughly and cut tomatoes into small chunks.
- Peel the skin off the potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- Cut Eggplant into small cubes as well.
- Heat the Oil in a pan and after sprinkling little turmeric powder and salt fry Eggplant and keep aside.
- Fry the potatoes as well, till those turn golden brown in color.
- Add chopped onion along with the fish parts in the remaining oil in the pan.
- Start frying in low flame till the onion turns brown.
- The fish parts will emit own fat and the dish will be cooked in the same.
- Add Ginger and garlic paste along with chopped tomatoes and chopped Gren Chilies and cook on lower flame for around 5 minutes.
- Now add Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add fried Potatoes and fried Eggplant.
- Keep the flame on the lower side.
- Cook for around 10 minutes or till the potatoes soften and the leaves oil from the edges.
- The end product must be mussy.
- Serve it hot with Plain rice or Roti.
Chorchori Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar apart from Macher Teler Chorchori:
- Sada Aloo Chorchori
- Katoya Data Chorchori
- Panch Mishali Tarkari/ Chorchori
- Palang Saager Chorchori
- Kumror Chakka
Have you tried the Macher Teler Chorchori Recipe from Debjanir Rannachar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. On Instagram you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar or you, in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
You can follow me on Facebook, and Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for updates and recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar. Furthermore, I would love to receive recipe requests and would try my best to come up with more recipes.
*This post may contain affiliate links!