Orange Chicken recipe by Arpitha Nath as part of Winter recipe Contest:
Well, chicken is such an item which is like water. The varieties of the item, that can be made from Chicken are enormous. We all are aware of Chili Chicken. Most of us are aware of Lemon Chicken. Then there is Dhania Chicken, Dahi Chicken, Butter Chicken (my favorite !), Chicken in Mustard Sauce (Sorshe Mangsho), Chicken in Poppy Seed Paste (Posto Mangsho) & many more; I can keep on mentioning.
Now, when I hear the word ‘Winter’, the first memory that comes to mind is to visit the zoo with parents and having Oranges (well this was mandatory in the afternoon apart from the packed Luchi and choto aloor dum). So, when I am asked about making something as Winter special menu; the first thing that strikes me in ‘Orange Chicken’. An easy to make recipe, Orange Chicken feels a bit different to the taste buds as well. Somewhat healthy (yes, at least to some extent) and have a mixture of flavors incorporated within, Orange Chicken is love. In one word, Orange Chicken has all the ingredients to become a ‘Blockbuster’ recipe. Now, the BO Report is eagerly awaited!Print
An easy recipe of Orange Chicken a seasonal delicacy
- Chicken (Preferably Boneless - Cut into cubes): 500 gm
- Orange Juice: 2 cups (250 ml approx.)
- Orange Zest: 1 Tsp.
- Egg: 1
- Cornflower: 2 Tbsp.
- White Oil: 1-2 Tbsp.
- Ginger (chopped): 2 Tsp.
- Garlic (chopped): 4-5 cloves
- Slit Green Chilies: 2-3
- Soya Sauce: 1 Tbsp.
- Vinegar: 1 Tsp.
- Pepper Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- White sesame seeds: 1 Tsp. (for garnishing)
- Chili Flakes: ½ Tsp. (for garnishing)
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Process-orange-chicken.jpg"][/url]
- Wash the Chicken thoroughly and marinate with the orange juice and half of the
- chopped ginger and garlic.
- After 30 mins, take out the chicken by squeezing the extra orange juice.
- Add salt and pepper along with one beaten egg and mix.
- Heat oil in a pan, coat the chicken cubes in corn flour and shallow fry.
- In the remaining oil, add the thinly silted ginger and remaining chopped garlic. Lightly
- fry till color changes and the mixture emits the aroma.
- Keep the heat to the minimal, add the orange juice and keep on stirring.
- Add the orange zest.
- Once the bubbles start to come up, add the silted green chilies, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Mix 1 Tsp. of cornflour in normal water and pour the mixture in the gravy.
- Add salt, sugar, and pepper to taste.
- Add chili flakes (optional) for additional hotness.
- Now add the shallow fried chicken cubes and give those a nice toss.
- Switch off the flame and Sprinkle white sesame seeds on top & serve hot.
The key to Orange Chicken's taste is the balance between the sweet, sour and; hot flavors. So, keep a check on the vinegar, sugar you add as per the sweet/ sourness of the orange juice.
If you are in too much hurry you can skip the margination with orange juice part.
But, that step helps the chicken to soak in the orange flavors within; which gives
an extra kick to the dish. So, if you savor good eating, you should wait. As they
say…… “Truth is; Great things take time. So, either you wait or you settle for
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Indo-Chinese