Palong Shaker Ghonto is a Bengali style mishmash prepared with Spinach, Potato, Eggplant Pumpkin, Radish, sundried lentil dumplings aka Bori and is tempered with Panch Phoron
- Spinach: 1 bunch
- Potato: 2(big)
- Eggplant: 1(big)
- Radish: 1
- Radish Leaf: a Few (optional)
- Pumpkin: 100 g
- Panch Phoron (Whole): 1 Tsp.
- Panch Phoron (Powder): 1 Tsp.
- Dry Red Chilli: 2-4
- Red chili powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tsp. (optional)
- Salt: to taste
- Bori/ Sun-dried lentil dumpling: 10-15
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Making-Palong-Shaker-Ghonto.jpg"][/url]
- Peel and cut all the vegetable except spinach into cubes.
- Chop a bunch of spinach and microwave it for one minute or blanch it in boiling water for 5 minutes. (I always prefer to microwave green veggies).
- Do the same with Radish leave.
- Hit oil in a pan and fry Bori (also known as sun-dried lentil dumpling).
- Temper remaining oil with cracked red chili and also Panch Phoron and allow spices to splutter.
- Add potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Now add other veggies except spinach and also radish leaves.
- At this point over the pan and cook until veggies soften.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder, Panch Phoron Powder, sugar and also salt.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Now add chopped spinach and also Radish leave and sauté until spinach mix properly with other veggies.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 more minutes in low flame till the veggies soften and release moisture.
- Add Fried Bori in between.
- Remove the mix-veg from flame and serve it hot with Khichuri or Steamed Rice.
Sugar is optional however it balances the flavors.
You may use any other oil instead of Mustard oil, however, the pungent flavor of mustard oil makes ghonto more flavorful.
Radish leaves are optional however given brilliant flavor to the dish. You may skip it if you are not a radish fan.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 65g
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 294mg
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 28.6g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg