Palong Shaker Ghonto is a Bengali-style mishmash prepared with Spinach, Potato, Eggplant Pumpkin, Radish, and sundried lentil dumplings aka Bori, and is tempered with Panch Phoron
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 Potato: (big)
- 1 Eggplant (big)
- 1 Radish
- 3 Radish Leaf (optional)
- 100g Pumpkin
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron (Whole)
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron (Powder)
- 4 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp. Red chili powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 15 Bori/ Sun-dried lentil dumplings
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Peel and cut all the vegetables except spinach into cubes.
- Chop a bunch of spinach and microwave it for one minute or blanch it in boiling water for 5 minutes. (I always prefer to microwave green veggies).
- Do the same with Radish leaves.
- Hit oil in a pan and fry Bori (also known as sun-dried lentil dumplings).
- Temper remaining oil with cracked red chili and also Panch Phoron and allow spices to splutter.
- Add potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add other veggies except spinach and also radish leaves.
- At this point over the pan and cook until veggies soften.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder, Panch Phoron Powder, sugar, and also salt.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Now add chopped spinach and also Radish leave and sauté until spinach mix properly with other veggies.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 more minutes on low flame till the veggies soften and release moisture.
- Add Fried Bori in between.
- Remove the mix-veg from the flame and serve it hot with Khichuri or Steamed Rice.
- Sugar is optional however it balances the flavors.
- You may use any other oil instead of Mustard oil, however, the pungent flavor of mustard oil makes ghonto more flavorful.
- Radish leaves are optional however give brilliant flavor to the dish. You may skip it if you are not a radish fan.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 65g
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 294mg
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 28.6g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: palong shaker ghonto recipe, bengali spinach recipe, palong shager ghonto recipe, debjanir rannaghar