Hubby can’t imagine his Sunday Lunch without runny curry of Chicken or Mutton and I am not an exception too. We Bongs treat Runny Chicken or Mutton Curry as comfort food and we love to add big chunk of potato in our meat curry however, other than Bengali Cuisine, many Meat dishes especially Curries are prepared along with Potato and Kerala Style Chicken Stew is one of the commonest example of curried chicken with Potato.
Keralian Chicken Stew a.k.a Kerala Style Chicken Stew is a creamy, mild Chicken Stew from the southern part of India. This Stew is often treated as a comfort food. Tempered with Curry leaves and flavored with Coconut Milk, Keralian Chicken Stew with Appam is very popular in Kerala as “Breakfast” but I personally love it to have in Sunday lunch with plain rice especially in the Summer.
- Chicken: 750 g (with bone)
- Onion: 2 medium (thinly sliced)
- Green Chili: 4-5
- Ginger: 1 Tbsp. (thinly chopped)
- Garlic: 1 Tbsp. (thinly chopped)
- Potato: 2 medium (cubed)
- Carrot: 1 medium (cubed)
- Thick Coconut milk: 3 cups
- Curry Leaves: 10-12
- Cloves: 3-4
- Cinnamon: 1”
- Cardamom: 2
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Nutmeg Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Vegetable Refined Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp. (optional)
- Wash Chicken Pieces thoroughly.
- Cut Veggies into cubes.
- Heat Oil and Ghee in a thick bottomed pan and temper the Ghee-Oil mixture with curry leaves, clove, cinnamon, cardamom and dry red chilies and sauté for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
- Add chopped onions and fry in low flame for about 7-9 minutes till it softens .
- Add ginger and garlic slices and slitted green chilies and sauté for 3-4 minutes in low flame.
- Now add cleaned chicken pieces and cubed potatoes and cook for 10 minutes in low flame.
- Add half of the coconut milk and cook till the chicken half done.
- Add Turmeric powder, Garam Masala powder, Nutmeg powder, salt and sugar and cook for one more minute.
- Add carrot pieces and rest of the coconut milk and 2 cup of boiled water.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook for 10 minutes or till the gravy reduced to desired quantity.
- Remove the stew from flame and garnish it with curry leaves and green chilies.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Chicken-Stew-Kerala-Style-300x200.jpg"][/url]
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: South Indian