I have decided to make Chilli Fish for her upon returning home, and I did that yesterday. After 2 consecutive Sundays, I was at home yesterday, for the entire day. Though I cooked several dishes, I found Pasta enjoying the Chilli Fish more. She, in fact, had the Chilli fish with Fried rice for lunch and ignored the Kosha Mangsho which was there for dinner and had the fish with Roti. I actually cooked a big batch of Chilli Fish, given both me and Mehebub love it as well. In fact, I like the taste of leftover Chilli fish more 🙂 .
- Fish Fillet: 750g (cut into cubes or squares)
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Egg: 2
- Corn Flour: 3 Tbsp.
- Black Pepper Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder/ flakes: ½ Tsp.
- Vinegar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: ½ Tsp.
- Green Bell Pepper/ Capsicum: 1
- Onion: 3
- Spring Onion: 2 sticks
- Crushed Garlic: 1 Tbsp.
- Julliened Ginger: ½ Tbsp.
- Green Chili: 2
- Soy Sauce: 2 Tbsp.
- Tomato Ketchup: 3 Tbsp.
- Sweet Chilli Sauce: 1 Tbsp.
- Vinegar: 1 Tbsp.
- Remaining marinade from the batter: 3 Tbsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Refined Oil: 5 Tbsp. (for frying and cooking)
- Wash Fish Fillets and marinade those with Garlic Paste, Black Pepper Powder, Red Chilli Powder/ flakes, Vinegar, and Salt for 30 minutes.
- Cut Capsicum into small squares and Onion into 4 halves.
- Chop Spring Onion into small rings.
- Now add 2 Eggs and Corn Flour to the marinated fish and mix lightly.
- Heat Oil in a Pan and shallow fry batter coated fishes on low flame till those are browning golden from both side.
- Place the batter fried fishes over kitchen town or tissue paper to soak excess oil.
- Now add Onion Chunks to the remaining Oil in the pan and start frying for 1-2 minute over the low flame.
- Add freshly crushed Garlic and Julienned Garlic and give a thorough mix
- Add Capsicum and ⅔ of the Chopped Spring Onion as well.
- Fry for 2 minutes after adding Salt and Sugar.
- Now add Slit Green Chili, Soy Sauce, Tomato Ketchup, Sweet Chilli Sauce and Vinegar and toss for a while.
- Add remaining marinade from the batter and keep the flame on the lower side.
- Keep stirring to avoid solidification of the egg.
- Add ½ cup water and cook for 3-4 minutes if you want semi thick Chilli fish or else switch the flame off.
- Take the Chilli Fish out in a bowl and serve after finishing with chopped Spring onion which is though optional.
Few More Fish recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar apart from Kolkata Style Chilli Fish:
Have you tried the Kolkata Style Chilli Fish from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com or in Instagram you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar or can tag me at @foodofdebjani.