Making Tawa Rupchand Fish Fry is simple yet the end result is an incredibly delicious dish that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
- 250g Rupchand Fish (round-cut)
For 1st Marination
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Tandoori Masala
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Juice (from 1 Onion)
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Juice (from 2 Tbsp Garlic Paste)
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Juice (from 2 Tbsp Ginger Paste)
For 2nd Marination
- 100g Sooji/ Semolina
- 1 Tsp. Salt
To fry Pan-fried fish
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
To serve Masala Tawa fish fry
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green Chillies
- 4 Tbsp. Marinade from Marination 1. (check notes)
- The remaining oil in the pan used for pan-frying (check notes)
- There will be around 6 pieces in 250g fish.
- Wash and dry Rupchand fish.
- Marinate the Rupchand fish with spices as mentioned in the next step for 15 minutes before frying those.
- Marinate Rupchanda Mach with 1 Tsp. Salt, 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder, 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder, and also 1 Tsp. Tandoori Masala.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice, 1 Tbsp. Onion Juice, 1 Tbsp. Garlic Juice and 1 Tbsp. Ginger Juice as well to the marination. (check notes)
- Coat the fish properly with spices.
- Take 100g Semolina (Sooji) on a plate.
- Smear the Sooji and add 1 Tsp. Salt and mix.
- Now coat marinated fish with Rava aka Sooji.
- Following the same process coat all the Roopchand fish chunks with Semolina.
- Once done, keep the fish in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- There will be some marinade left in the bowl where the fish were kept. Keep that marinade.
To make Tawa fish fry
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil in a Tawa/ Pan on high flame.
- Now shallow fry the coated fish on medium flame.
- Depending on the diameter of the pan you can fry 2-3 fish at a time.
- Fry each side for 2 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, keep flipping to see whether the Rava turned light brown or not.
- Keep the flame medium all through.
- It may take another 1-2 minutes.
- Once done, strain from the pan.
- Following the same process fry the remaining fish.
- The remaining oil in the pan will be used in making the topping as mentioend in below steps.
To make a topping and to serve Tawa fish fry.
- Quickly chop 1 Onion and 2 Green Chillies.
- Use the remaining oil in the pan to fry the onion and green chilies as well on high flame.
- Fry for 1 minute on high flame.
- Add the remaining marinade.
- Fry for 2 minutes to make a spicy topping.
- Top the Tawa-fried Rupchanda Fish with the spicy Onion fry.
- Serve the Rupchand Fish Fry as a starter!
- Grate 1 Onion to extract the juice. Similarly extract juice from 2 Tbsp. each Ginger paste and garlic paste to have 1 Tbsp. each of Ginger juice and garlic juice.
- Mustard Oil works best for this recipe however, you can replace it with other vegetable oil or olive oil.
- For a more delicious yet high-calorie version use Ghee or Butter as a cooking medium.
- I prefer to use a non-stick pan for Tawa Fish Fry.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Fish, Snack
- Method: Pan-frying
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 1449mg
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19.5g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: Tawa Rupchand Fish fry recipe, Rupchanda mach recipe, rupchand fish recipe, debjanir rannaghar