My Egg Tadka aka Dim Torka memories!
When there was no Dhaba that cooked decent Dim Torka!
When I have the options available for ordering Egg Tadka yet I cook!
Here's how I cook Kolkata Street-style Egg Tadka aka Dim Torka at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Dim Torka aka Kolkata street-style Egg Tadka is a spicy lentil and egg-based side dish and immensely popular. Tadka is completely different from typical Tadka dal and found in the Dhabas of West Bengal
- Torkar Dal/ Whole Green Bean: 250g
- Onion: 2
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste: 1.5 tablespoon
- Green Chili: 4
- Salt: to taste
- Rock Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Mustard Oil: 4 tablespoon
- Butter: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves: ¼ bunch (optional)
- Cumin Powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Egg: 3
To make Bengali Tadka Masala
- Cumin Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Sahi Garam Masala Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Kasuri Methi: 1 teaspoon
- Aamchur Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Fennel Seed Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala: 1 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Kasuri Methi: 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Julienne: 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice: 2 tablespoon
- Green chili: 2
- Coriander Leaves: a few
Boiling the Torka Dal:
- Wash and soak the Green Moong Beans for 1 hour with a pinch of salt.
- Discard the water after one hour and wash the lentils 2-3 times.
- Take the lentils along with ¼ teaspoon each of Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, and also salt in a pressure cooker.
- Cover the lentil with water till the lentils are covered and there is 2-inch water above the lentils.
- Now put the lid on and place the vent weight.
- Cook on low flame till 3 whistles come from the pressure cooker.
- Wait till the pressure drops completely and open the cooker.
- The Green moong beans should be properly cooked and yet in shape.
- If the dal is not cooked properly you can cook for some more time (till one more whistle comes from the cooker.
To make Bengali Torka Masala:
- Make a powder of 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi.
- Now take the rest of the spices mentioned under Torka Masala in a bowl and mix.
- Heat a pan and dry-roast the spices.
- For 250g of Lentil 4teaspoon of the spice powder will be used.
- You can store the remaining spice powder in an airtight container.
To make Dhaba-style Egg Tadka:
- Chop onion and also tomatoes into small pieces.
- Chop green chilies and also coriander leaves as well.
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Temper the oil with Dry Red Chili and also Kasuri Methi.
- Add chopped onion and cook till the onion changes color.
- Now add Ginger paste, ginger julienne, and garlic paste, and also chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till the tomatoes soften.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook till the mixture releases oil from the edges.
- Now add chopped green chilies and also chopped coriander leaves if using.
- Add 4 teaspoon of the Torka Moshla and cook over low flame for around 5-6 minutes.
- Add little water in between if the spice is drying up.
- Once properly cooked, add the cooked Dal followed by the rock salt.
- Cook the lentil for around 10 minutes on low flame.
- The Lentil should retain shape yet soft.
- In the meantime, beat three eggs with a pinch of salt.
- If using a flattened pan, you can make the eggs along with the lentil on the side.
- If not take another pan and heat the remaining oil.
- Pour beaten egg and scramble using a spatula.
- Transfer the egg to the pan containing the Lentil and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Melt butter and add to the Tadka and give a light mix.
- The famous Kolkata-style Egg Tadka aka Dhaba-style Dim Torka is ready to serve.
- You can top it with some more Ginger Jullienne, chopped coriander, chopped green chilies lemon juice, and butter while serving.
You can substitute 50g dal with 25g each of Bengal gram and whole Urad Dal.
Instead of butter, you can use Ghee. You can increase the butter as well!
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
Kolkata Restaurant's favorite recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Kolkata Mutton Biryani (also known as Calcutta Biryani)
- Chicken Chaap (also known as Kolkata Restaurant style Chicken Champ)
- Kolkata’s Mutton Tikia (Also known as Restaurant style Mutton Tikiya)
- Aminia Special Curry (Also known as Aminia's special mutton curry)
- Kolkata style Chicken Bharta (also known as Restaurant style Chicken Bharta)
- Restaurant Style Chicken Malai Kebab (also known as Chicken Reshmi Kebab or Murg Malai Kebab)
- Nalli Nihari (Also known as Kolkata style Mutton Nihari)
- Kolkata Style Chilli Fish (also known as Kolkata restaurant-style Chili Fish)
Have you tried the Restaurant-style Egg Tadka recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Kolkata Dhaba-style Dim Torka Pin for your Pinterest Board!