Bengali Prawn Curry with Potato and Cauliflower
The recipe for comforting Phulkopi Aloo diye Chingri Macher Kaliya!
Here's how I cook Phulkopi Aloo diye Chingri Kaliya at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Phulkopi Aloo diye Chingri Kaliya is a comforting preparation of Prawns, Potatoes, and Cauliflower.
- Prawns: 10 (medium-sized, de-veined, with shell intact)
- Cauliflower: 1
- Potato: 5
- Onion: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Tomato: 2
- Green Chili: 2-3
- Turmeric Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Bay leaf: 2
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Green Cardamom: 3
- Cinnamon Stick: 1"
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Take clean prawns (de-veined yet with shell) and marinate with half Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder and Salt.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into halves.
- Marinate potatoes with 1/4 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder and Salt.
- Cut Cauliflower into big chunks and marinate with 1/4 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder and Salt.
- Now make a paste of Onion and Tomatoes separately.
- Heat oil in a Pan till the oil changes color.
- Lightly fry the prawns (one minute on each side) and strain from the oil.
- In the same oil fry the potatoes on low flame till they turn golden brown.
- Always fry the prawns and then the potatoes. This will help the potatoes to catch the smell of prawns.
- Now fry the cauliflowers in low flame till those turn golden brown and crunchy. Strain from the oil once fried.
- Temper remaining oil with Bay leaf, Dry Red Chili, Cinnamon Stick, and also with Green Cardamom and cook for a minute.
- Add Sugar to the oil and let it caramelizes.
- Now add Onion paste and cook till it turns brown.
- Add Tomato paste, Ginger paste, and also garlic paste and cook till oil comes from the edges of the mixture.
- Add slices of green chilies as well.
- Now add Cumin powder, Kashmiri Red chili powder, half of the Bengali garam masala powder.
- Adjust salt and turmeric powder as both have been added to prawns, potatoes, and cauliflower.
- Cook for around 2 minutes.
- Now add 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add fried potatoes and cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium flame till the potatoes are completely cooked.
- This may take around 10-15 minutes depending on the quality of the potato.
- Once cooked, add the fried cauliflower and also fried prawns and mix with the gravy.
- Cook for five minutes and add Ghee and remaining Garam masala.
- The curry should be semi-runny. If needed adjust water while cooking the potatoes.
- Once done, serve it hot with steamed rice, or Pulao or Paratha or Luchi or Roti.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
Winter special recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Begun Pora (Also known as Bengali Begun Bhorta)
- Egg Tadka (also known as Kolkata street-style Dim Torka)
- Nalli Nihari (also known as Mutton Nihari or Gosht Nihari)
- Gokul Pithe (also known as Bengali Madan Gokul Pitha)
- Mulo Diye Motor Dal (also known as Bengali Yellow Split Pea with Radish)
- Komola Kheer (also known as Kheer Komola or Bengali Orange Kheer or Komlalebur Payesh)
- Begun Basanti (also known as Bengali Begun Bashonti)
- Keema Matar (also known as Mutton mincemeat cooked with green peas)
- Rosh Bora (also known as Bengali Roshobora)
- Piajkoli ar Aloo diye Tangra Macher Jhol (also known as Bengali Light fish curry prepared with Tyangra Maach, Onion Stalks and Potato)
- Orange and Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables (also known as Roast Chicken)
- Sheemer Jhal (also known as Bengali Shorshe Sheem or Broad Bean Curry with Mustard Paste)
- Koraishutir Kochuri (also known as Bengali Peas Kachauri)
- Bengali Soru Chakli Pithe (also known as Soru Chakuli Pitha)
Have you tried the Bengali Phulkopi Aloo diye Chingri Kaliya recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Aloo Phulkopi diye Chingri Kaliya Pin for your Pinterest Board!