Weekend lunch with Keema Matar!
Keema Matar of Mughlai origin vs. Bengali Keema Aloor Tarkari!
Keema Matar is a Meancemeat based curry cooked with Green peas and is of Mughlai origin. It is said that this dish is liked by the Royals for long!
My take on Keema Matar!
Here is how I cook the Keema Matar at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Keema Matar aka Qeema Matar is a famous dish with the Mughal origin and is famous in the Indian sub-continent. This is cooked with mincemeat and Green Peas.
- Mutton Keema/ Mincemeat: 500g
- Green Peas: 250g
- Onion: 2 (big)
- Tomato: 1
- Ginger Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Green chili: 4
- Plain Curd: 100g
- Cream: 2 tablespoon (Completely optional)
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Turmeric Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Kasuri Methi: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 3 tablespoon
- [url href="undefined"][/url]
- Clean the mincemeat before marinating it with the spices.
- Marinate the meat with ½ teaspoon each of Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Sugar, Salt, Cumin Powder, Coriander powder, and also Garam masala Powder for 30 minutes.
- Cut onion and tomato into slices.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Temper the oil with bay leaf and red chili.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it turns light brown in color.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste and also tomato and cook till the raw aroma of the pastes and tomato gone.
- Now add the curd and cook for five minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon each of Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Sugar, Cumin Powder, Coriander powder, and also little salt.
- Mix thoroughly and cook on low flame till the oil comes out from the mixture.
- Crush the Kasuri Methi and add it to the mixture.
- Add green chilies as well.
- Now add both green peas and also the marinated mincemeat and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the pan and cook for around 15 minutes on low flame.
- The meat will release moisture and the curry will changes color in between.
- Once the meat and peas are well cooked and the moisture is soaked and the gravy is thick, add the rest of the garam masala followed by the cream and mix.
- Switch the flame off when the "Tehr" (Oil) comes out from it and the Keema Matar is reaching the desired consistency.
- Serve it hot with your choice of carbohydrate.
The cream is completely optional, however, I add it to make the Qeema Matar a bit milder and child-friendly.
- Category: Mutton
- Cuisine: Mughlai
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 466
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Sodium: 734mg
- Fat: 23.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 41.5g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
Mutton Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Bengali Mete Chorchori (also known as Mutton Liver side with Potato chunks)
- Mangsha Tarkari ( also known as Oriya Mutton Curry)
- Kolkata Mutton Biryani (Also known as Calcutta Biryani)
- Posto Mangsho (also known as Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed Paste)
- Mangshor Jhol (also known as Bengali light Mutton curry)
- Gota Moshlar Mangsho (also known as Kata Moshlar Mangsho or Mutton cooked with whole spices)
- Hyderabadi Haleem (also known as Mutton Haleem)
- Kolkata’s Mutton Tikia (also known as Tikia Kebab)
- Bengali Keema Curry (Also known as Mutton Mincemeat Curry with Potato Chunks)
- Bangladeshi Mutton Tehari (Also known as Mutton tahiri)
- Mangsher Ghughni (Also known as Yellow Pea Curry with Minced Mutton)
- Mutton Ghee Roast (Also known as Mangalorean delicacy, Mutton Ghee Roast)
- Anglo-Indian Mutton Curry (Also known as Mutton cooked with saffron)
- Kosha Mangsho (Also known as Bengali Mutton Kasha)
- Kochi Pathar Jhol (Also known as Aloo diye Mangshor Jhol or Bengali Mutton Curry)
- Aminia Special Curry (Also known as Aminia Special Mutton Curry)
Have you tried the Keema Matar recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Qeema Matar Recipe Pin for your Pinterest Board!