Narkel Doodh Pulao, a subtle and flavorful pulao recipe is finally here at Debanir Rannaghar. I cook it quite often. In fact, I prefer Bengali coconut Pulao aka Narkel Dudher Pulao over Basanti Pulao. This is because of the flavor of coconut milk for sure. The short-grain Gobindobhog Rice is cooked along with coconut milk, ghee-fried coconut, and also nuts, and the end result is a flavorful Bengali Mishti Pulao.
- Narkel Doodh Pulao aka Bengali Coconut Milk Pulao, recipe trick
- Side dishes to serve with Narkel Pulao
- Pressure cooker, rice cooker or Handi- best utensil to make perfect Pulao
- Have you tried the Narkel Doodh Pulao recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Here's the Bengali Coconut milk Pulao Recipe Pin for your Pinterest Board!
Narkel Doodh Pulao aka Bengali Coconut Milk Pulao is a family favorite. Along with Narkel Doodh aka Coconut milk, I prefer to add fried coconut slices along with fried nuts and raisins to the pulao. The chunks of fried coconut give another layer of flavor to the pulao.
Narkel Doodh Pulao aka Bengali Coconut Milk Pulao, recipe trick
I follow the recipe I have learned from Dida. I never have seen her using packaged coconut milk to make different delicacies such as Narkel Pulao or Chicngri Malaicurry. In fact, if I have time, I also prefer to use freshly extracted coconut milk while making coconut-based dishes. In this recipe of Narkel Doodh Pulao, the rice is cooked with coconut milk. Needless to say, the end result is amazing. The smell of coconut milk, the lightly sweetened flavor matched with the spices used make this Bengali Misti Pulao unputdownable. I must mention, please use good quality ghee while making this pulao. It will enhance the flavor.
Side dishes to serve with Narkel Pulao
As the Pulao is on the sweeter side, I prefer to serve it with a spicy side such as Kosha Mangsho or aloo Gosht or Mangshor Jhol. If I have to serve a fish side dish, I prefer Bhetki Begum Bahar or Macher Kalia. However, from the Vegetarian spread, my favorites are Aloor Dum or Chanar Dalna. I generally do not cook any coconut-based curry with Bengali Coconut Milk Pulao.
Pressure cooker, rice cooker or Handi- best utensil to make perfect Pulao
If you know the tricks of using a handi to make Jhurjhure pulao, go for it. However, if you are not confident with the traditional process of using handi or dekchi while cooking pulao, use a pressure cooker or a rice cooker. It is easier to get the perfect texture of pulao if cooked in a pressure cooker or rice cooker. I will share three processes here so that you can use them based on your preference.Print
Narkel Doodh Pulao aka Bengali Coconut milk Pulao is a flavorful Bengali Pulao cooked with coconut milk and flavorful Gobindobhog Rice.
To make Pulao Masala
Cooking Pulao in a Handi
Serving the Pulao
While serving, top coconut pulao with fried chunks of coconut.
- I prefer to use short-grain flavorful Gobindobhog Rice to cook Coconut Pulao. You can purchase this from Bengali stores. If you are not in India, you can check for Chinigura rice. If Chinigura is not availavble as well, use Basmati Rice instead.
- I prefer to extract fresh coconut milk to make the pulao. To get 2 cups of thick coconut milk, you need 2 coconut. If not using fresh coconut to get the milk, use packaged coconut milk.
- You can substitute ghee with vegetable oil for less calorie version.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Main
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Calories: 670
- Sugar: 19.1g
- Sodium: 810mg
- Fat: 62.2g
- Saturated Fat: 48.6g
- Carbohydrates: 32.2g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Keywords: narkel doodh pulao recipe, coconut milk pulao recipe, debjanir rannaghar, bengali pulao recipe, mishti pulao recipe
Have you tried the Narkel Doodh Pulao recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe. You can share here on email@example.com. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.