Soya chunks Pulao aka Soya Rice is something I cook whenever we don't have non-veg at home and I am out of time as well. In this recipe of easy soya chunks pulao, I use very basic ingredients. I use a pressure cooker to make the soybean pulao and It takes very little time to make this.
- Easy Soya Chunks Pulao Recipe
- Easy Soya Pulao; a Protein-rich, Gluten-free one-pot meal
- My memories of Soya Pulao cooked during the COVID-19 Lockdown
- Health Benefits of Soya
- Here's the easy Soya Chunks Pulao Recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Pulao Biryani Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Have you tried the Quick Soya Pulao recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Here's the Easy Soya Chunks Pulao Recipe Pin for your Pinterest Board!
Easy Soya Chunks Pulao Recipe
Soya Pulao is a delicious, yet healthy Pilaf cooked with Soy chunks and a choice of veggies. You can make the vegan version of Soyabean Pulao by skipping Ghee and Sugar. The Soya Chunks Pulao recipe is quite simple and easy to follow. It takes hardly 30 minutes to make the Soya chunk Rice if you are using a pressure cooker.
Easy Soya Pulao; a Protein-rich, Gluten-free one-pot meal
Soybean chunks are a regular staple in the Indian kitchen. We often use those to make simple curry, Champ, and also Bharta and cutlets. In addition, Soya Rice aka Soya Biryani aka Soya Chunks Pulao is very popular in India. This is a one-pot meal and needless to say takes very little time to cook. I cook it mostly for dinner and cook in bulk so that we can carry it as part of the lunch box the next day to the office. Pasta loves Soya Pulao. She specifically prefers the chunkiness of Soybean chunks. Soya Chunks are loaded with protein and fiber and needless to say, the goodness of Soya makes the pulao a healthy yet tasty treat.
My memories of Soya Pulao cooked during the COVID-19 Lockdown
We are hardcore non-vegetarians however, we thoroughly enjoy our portions of veg food. Lockdown taught us several things including the process of substitution. In the initial days of lockdown, we picked 3 boxes of Soya chunks along with other pantry items. I have used Soya differently all through the lockdown when we were not able to source non-veg. The entire family cherished this Soya Rice during the lockdown.
Health Benefits of Soya
- Soya bean is a type of bean on the pod. This is basically an edible legume. Soya for its texture and protein content is often used as a meat substitute.
- Soya bean is high in protein and fiber.
- The Soy protein is considered as good as animal protein.
- Milk substitutes such as Soya Milk, Tofu are prepared from Soya. Both Tofu and Soya milk are Vegan favorites. Miso is another product derived from Soya.
- Soya chunks are very much popular in India and we mostly use them while making curry or pulao.
Please check the recipe card for the measurements.
- Basmati Rice
- Soya chunks
- Hung Curd
- Bell Pepper
- French Beans
- Green Peas
- Green Chilli
- Ginger Paste
- Garlic Paste
- Vegetable Oil
- Turmeric Powder
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper Powder
- Garam Masala Powder
- Bay leaf
- Cumin Seed
- Dry Red Chilli
- Green Cardamoms
I am sharing a few substitution options which you can try to make different types of Soy Pulao
- Rice - instead of Basmati Rice, you can use Gobindobhog Rice or Moghra.
- Vegetable Oil - use Olive Oil buns instead of vegetable oil to make this healthier.
- Ghee - Replace ghee with oil to make the Soy Pulao Vegan
- Sugar - You can use coconut sugar instead of normal to make it vegan or you can use jaggery for a more earthy and healthy option. You can completely skip sugar as well.
Let me share a few variations that may help you to cater to the need of the family or guests.
- Spicy - increase the number of green chilies to make it spicier
- Deluxe - add roasted or fried cashew nuts, raisins, and other nuts
- Kid-friendly - play moderately with the spices; use colored vegetables
Here's the easy Soya Chunks Pulao Recipe from Debjanir RannagharPrint
- 200g Basmati Rice
- 100g Soya chunks
- 50g Hung Curd
- 2 Onions
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 4 French Beans
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 Tsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
Spices used in Soya Pulao
- ½ Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp. Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
Temperings Needed for Soya Rice
- 1 Bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- ¼ Tsp. Cumin Seed
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1" Cinnamon
- 4 Green Cardamoms
- Wash and soak rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Soak Soya chunks in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes the soya chunks will increase in size.
- Drain excess water and squeeze the soya chunks to remove excess water.
- Wash 2-3 times again and squeeze to discard water
- Meanwhile cut Carrot, bell pepper, and French beans into small pieces.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Cut Green Chilies as well.
- Now heat ½ Tbsp. Oil in a pressure cooker.
- Fry the soya chunks after sprinkling ¼ Tsp. each of salt and turmeric powder for 2 minutes.
- Strain those from the cooker.
- Now add the remaining oil and also to Ghee to the cooker.
- Add the tempering one by one.
- Cook for a minute.
- Now add onion slices and cook till those change color.
- Add both ginger and garlic paste and cook till the raw aroma goes.
- Add hung curd and mix well.
- Now add chopped veggies and mix well.
- Add remaining turmeric powder and salt.
- Add Sugar, Red chili powder, black pepper powder, and Garam Masala.
- Mix everything and cook till the oil leaves the side of the mixture.
- Now add fried Soya chunks and mix with the spice mix.
- Cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Now add washed rice and mix again.
- At this point add boiling water to cover the rice.
- The water should cover the rice and there must be water 1" above the rice.
- Check the spices at this point and if needed adjust spices.
- The water should taste how you want the pulao should taste.
- Cover the Pressure cooker with the lid.
- Put the weight.
- Keep the flame low.
- Wait till the pressure cooker releases pressure two times (two whistles).
- Switch the flame off.
- Wait till the pressure drops completely.
- Open the cooker once there is no pressure.
- Lightly mix the Pulao.
- Serve Soya Pulao hot with Raita.
You can add some chopped coriander leaves to the Pulao.
To cook vegan Soya Chunk Pulao, skip Sugar, Ghee and Curd.
In the version, instead of Curd use coconut milk and replace ghee with 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Main
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 120g
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Sodium: 637mg
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrates: 57.8g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
Keywords: Soya Chunks Pulao Recipe, Soya Pulao recipe, Soya Rice Recipe, Soya Biryani Recipe, Debjanir Rannaghar, Debjani Chatterjee alam
Pulao Biryani Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Instant Chicken Pulao Recipe (also known as Chicken Pulao in Pressure Cooker)
- Dhakai Morog Pulao (also known as Sahi Morog Pulao)
- Birista Pulao (als known as Piyaz Beresta Pulao)
- Kolkata Mutton Biryani (also known as Calcutta Biryani)
- Bhat Bhaja (also known as Bengali Bhaja Bhat)
- Crab Biryani (also knonw as Crab Dum Biryani or Nandu Biryani)
- Bou Khuda (also known as Boua Pulao or Bou Khudi)
- Bengali Basanti Pulao (also known as Bengali Holud Pulao or Bhoger Misti Pulao)
- Ilish Pulao (also known as Bengali Hilsa Pulao)
- Ghee Bhat (also known as Bengali Sweet Pulao)
- Peas Pulao (also known as Matar Pulao)
Have you tried the Quick Soya Pulao recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe which you can share here at email@example.com. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.