Magur Macher Rosha is a family favorite. I cook it whenever we pick fresh Magur mach from the market. I have a horrible experience eating Magurer Jhol all through childhood. This particular fish is considered to be good for growing kids. In my ancestral house, the kid clan had to eat a runny macher jhol aka fish curry quite regularly. I never liked the jhol ever, however, now I have started liking it once in a while. Rosha though is not jhol. Both I and Mehebub like rosha and I am not burdening with Pasta with the Jire-Morich jhol as often as I had it.
- Magur Macher Rosha!
- A few things about Magur Mach aka Asian Catfish!
- Here's how I cook Magur Macher Rosha at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Recipe Card
- Magur Macher Rosha Recipe Video from Debjanir Rannaghar Youtube Channel:
- Fish Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Have you tried the Bengali Magur Macher Rosha recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Here's the Magur macher aloo diye Rosha Pin for your Pinterest Board!
Magur Macher Rosha!
Magur Macher Rosha is a quintessential Bengali Fish curry cooked with Asian Catfish aka Magur Mach. In Bengali cuisine, curries are named differently based on the spices used. In addition, based on the cut of the veggies as well. Rosha is a spicy curry where potato wedges are used. Rosha can be vegetarian or non-vegetarian. In the fish version of Rosha we add potatoes along with the basic Bengali spices.
A few things about Magur Mach aka Asian Catfish!
Magur Mach is a small freshwater indigenous fish and is popular in Eastern India as well as in Bangladesh.This fish is very nutritious and often served to Kids in Bengal which is cooked lightly with veggies that we refer to as Magur Macher Jhol. The recipe of light curry is different from Rosha and known as Jhol which I'll share soon. In Bengal, we mostly purchase live catfish which is termed as "Jiol Mach" in Bengali. Jiol stands live. The fish vendors mostly keep the live fish in a big container. They cut it when purchased and it is advisable to use live catfish instead of purchasing frozen or which is not live.
Here's how I cook Magur Macher Rosha at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Magur Macher Rosha is a simple Bengali fish curry cooked with Asian catfish aka Magur Mach and potato chunks
- Magur Mach/ Cat Fish: 3 (Medium-size; cut into three pieces each)
- Potato: 3
- Onion: 2
- Tomato: 1
- Green chili: 3
To marinate fish:
- Turmeric Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoon. Mustard Oil
To make the spice mix:
- Garlic Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Ginger Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin Powder: 1teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar: 1teaspoon
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1teaspoon
- Mustard Oil: 1.5 tablespoon
- Bay Leaf: 1
- Dry Red Chilli: 2
- Mustard Oil: 5 tablespoon
- Marinate Magur Mach with 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder and 1 teaspoon Salt as well.
- Add around 2 tablespoon Mustard Oil and mix that as well.
- Now take Two Onion and remove the skin and chop.
- Peel the skin of 3 Potatoes and cut the Potatoes into Wedges.
- Roughly chop a Tomato and also slice a few Green Chilies.
- Now make a thick paste of Garlic Paste, Ginger Paste, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, Sugar, Bengali Garam Masala Powder.
- Add 1 tablespoon Mustard oil to this mixture to make the paste.
- Heal 5 tablespoon Mustard Oil in a Pan till the oil changes color.
- Now fry the marinated fish on medium flame.
- Once fried, strain from the pan.
- Once the fish is fried you can separate some oil to make the curry less oily.
- Do not over-fry the fishes. You may refer to the Magur Macher Rosha Recipe video of mine for the texture.
- Now fry Potato Wedges.
- While frying, sprinkle ¼ teaspoon each of Turmeric Powder and Salt.
- Keep the flame low and fry till the potatoes are 80% cooked and then stain from the pan.
- Temper remaining oil with 1 Bay Leaf and 1 Dry Red Chili.
- Add chopped Onion and Cook on low flame till the onion changes color to pink.
- Now add chopped Tomatoes and Cook till the tomatoes melt.
- Add little salt while cooking,
- Cook on low flame till the mixture releases oil from the edges.
- Now add 1 cup water to the mixture and Cook for 2 Minutes on Low flame.
- Add slices of green chilies and ⅓ cup water and keep cooking.
- Finally, add 1 more cup of water.
- Once the water started boiling, add fried potato wedges and Cook for around 5 minutes.
- Cover the Pan with a lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Open the Lid and add 1 cup of water. By this time most of the water will evaporate.
- Now add fried fishes and mix with a spatula.
- Boil for around 3-4 minutes.
- Magur Macher Rosha will be ready by this time! Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 419
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 773mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 27.1g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
Magur Macher Rosha Recipe Video from Debjanir Rannaghar Youtube Channel:
Fish Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Biyebarir Fish Butter Fry (also known as Bhetki Batter Fry)
- Barishali Ilish (also known as Ilish Barishali)
- Ilish Mach er Dim Bhuna (also known as Ilish Mach er Dim er Jhuri)
- Bori Begun Aloo diye Ilish Macher Tel Jhol (also known as Ilisher tel jhol)
- Piajkoli ar Aloo diye Tangra Macher Jhol (also known as Bengali Light fish curry prepared with Tyangra Maach, Onion Stalks and Potato)
- Doodh Maach (also known as Bengali Fish Curry cooked with Milk aka Dudh Mach)
- Shorshe Bata diye Parshe Macher Jhal (also known as Mullet Fish in Mustard Gravy)
- Biye Barir Macher Kalia (also known as Bengali Macher Kalia)
- Charapona Macher Kabiraji Jhol (also known as Charapona Macher Jhol)
- Bengali Macher Matha diye Bhaja Muger Dal (also known as Macher Muro Diye Dal)
- Aloo Fulkopi diye Macher Jhol (Also known as Phulkopi diye Macher Jhol)
- Chitol Macher Kaliya (also known as Bengali Chitoler Kalia)
- Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori Diye Jhol (also known as Cat Fish Curry with Potato, Eggplant and Sun-dried Lentil Dumplings)
- Ilish Macher Sorshe bata diye Jhal (also known as Hilsa Fish in Mustard Gravy| Ilish er Shorshe Jhal or Shorshe Ilish)
Have you tried the Bengali Magur Macher Rosha recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe which you can share here on email@example.com. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.