Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori Diye Jhol is a delectable dish with a tantalizing aroma. The curry is delicate yet savory, the fish is cooked to perfection, and the vegetables are also perfectly done. The eggplant, potatoes, and Daal-er Bori give the curry a sumptuous flavor, while the spices add to its flavor profile. This fish curry is an absolute hit and anybody who tries it will certainly love it!
- Tangra Macher Jhol
- Tyangra Macher Tel Jhol with Bori, Begun, and Aloo and why?
- Choto macher Tel Jhol, a Bangal Recipe
- A Bengali Fish Curry - Catfish Curry with Potato, Eggplant, and Sun-dried Lentil Dumplings
- Here's how I make Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol at Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Recipe Card
- Tyangra Macher Tel Jhol Video Recipe
- Fish Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Let's connect over Tyangra Macher Tel Jhol Recipe
- Tyangra Maacher Jhol Begun, Bori, Aloo diye Recipe Pin for You
Tangra Macher Jhol
Nowadays I am exploring the fish market a lot given Mehebub is presently not in India and we are residing in Kolkata! This situation has given me a chance to explore the nearby market in Garia. This market is available with various fresh fishes and especially small fishes from freshwater and Tangra Mach a.k.a cat Fish is one of those. Last week while hopping the market while returning from the office I saw fresh Tangra fish in abundance and most of those are full of egg (fish roe)! I then grabbed 500g of Tangra Mach and returned home happily and ended up making the Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol.
Tyangra Macher Tel Jhol with Bori, Begun, and Aloo and why?
Initially, I was thinking to prepare Tangra Macher Jhal with a Mustard paste which my Mom and Mamoni used to make in my ancestral house. However, while checking my fridge for veggies to make another side dish I found an Eggplant. there was a change in plan from a hard-core Ghoti dish to the typical Bangal delicacy Tangra Mach er Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol.
Choto macher Tel Jhol, a Bangal Recipe
I used to have this runny curry with Tangra fish at my Cousin’s place. Bardibhai’s MIL was a great cook and she was originally a native of Bangladesh. I still remember that great runny Tangra fish curry prepared by her with veggies. They did not use Onion garlic in their cooking but I love the flavor of Onion and garlic in my Tangra Mach er Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol.
A Bengali Fish Curry - Catfish Curry with Potato, Eggplant, and Sun-dried Lentil Dumplings
Tyangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol a.k.a. Tangra Fish Curry with Potato, Eggplant, and Dried Lentil Dumplings is a typical Bengali fish curry tempered with Panch Phoron or Bengali five spices. This dish is tangled with different flavors that include the fish itself, veggies, and a special aroma of spices. Given the runny texture and light spices, this fish curry is easy to digest and can be given to kids in case they have a tooth for fish with bone.
Here's how I make Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori Diye Jhol
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 2 People 1x
Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol is a typical Bengali fish curry tempered with Panch Phoron or Bengali five spices!
- 8 Tangra Fish (cleaned but whole catfish)
- 1 Potato (Big Size)
- 1 Eggplant (Medium size; or half)
- 2 Tomatoes (small)
- 1 Onion (Big Size)
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 4 Green Chili (or as per taste)
- ½ Tsp. Panch Phoron or Bengali five Spices
- 20 Bori/ Dried Lentil Dumplings
- 2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Salt or as per taste
- 6 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Sprinkle 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder, ½ Tsp. Salt, ½ Tsp. Red Chili Powder and 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil over fish and marinade those.
- Keep the fish for 15 minutes before frying.
- Cut the Potato into wedges after removing the skin.
- Now cut Eggplant into wedges without removing the skin.
- Marinade Eggplant with ¼ Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder and Salt.
- Chop Onion and Tomato roughly.
- Now heat the 1 Tbsp. oil in a deep bottom Pan and fry Daal-er Bori.
- Strain bori from the pan and add 1 Tbsp. Oil and heat it.
- Now sauté Potato strips after adding ¼ Tsp. Salt and once turned golden strain those.
- Now add another Tbsp. of Oil and heat it.
- Add eggplant strips and fry till they are golden and crisp.
- Strain those and add 2 Tbsp. Oil.
- Now fry fish carefully by not breaking those in medium flame and keep those aside too.
- Check the recipe video for frying tips.
- Once fried strain the fish.
- Temper the Oil remaining in the pan with Panch Phoron and then add chopped Onions and fry till those turn light pink in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let them cook on low flame.
- Add garlic paste as well.
- Now add little water and cook till oil comes from the mixture.
- Add Salt, Turmeric Powder, and Red chili powder and mix.
- Add one cup of water and cook till a boil comes.
- Now add 2 cups of water.
- Add Fried Potatoes and mix with the spices.
- Cook on medium flame to bring it to a boil till the potatoes are soft.
- Add fried fish and after mixing bring it to a boil.
- Add fried eggplant and fried bori as well.
- Boil for a minute and add ½ Tbsp. raw mustard oil and mix it.
- Add some more water if required as this curry is served a bit runny.
- Serve Tangra Macher Aloo, Begun ar Bori Jhol with hot steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 923mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1g
- Fiber: 10.8g
- Protein: 18.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tangra mach recipe, bori begun diye tangra mach, tyangra mach recipe video, debjanir rannaghar
Tyangra Macher Tel Jhol Video Recipe
Fish Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar
- Aar Macher Kalia (also known as Bengali Aar fish curry)
- Kalojire diye Macher Rosha (also known as Bengali Katla Fish Rosha)
- Chitol Macher Muitha (also known as Bengali Chitol Muitha)
- Aam Shol (also known as Shol Macher Tawk)
- Kumro diye Ilish Macher Jhol (also known as Hilsa fish curry with Pumpkin)
- Magur Macher Rosha
- Ilish Mach er Dim Bhuna | Ilish Mach er Dim er Jhuri
- Shobji diye Shutki Macher Jhol
- Chitol Macher Kaliya
- Bhetki Macher Dum
- Piajkoli ar Aloo diye Tangra Macher Jhol (also known as Bengali Light fish curry prepared with Tyangra Maach, Onion Stalks and Potato)
- Shorshe Bata diye Parshe Macher Jhal | Mullet Fish in Mustard Gravy
- Biye Barir Macher Kalia
Let's connect over Tyangra Macher Tel Jhol Recipe
I would love to see a picture if you are making the prawns following my recipe. You can share here at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Leave a Reply