Tangra Macher Aloo Begun o Bori diye Jhol is a typical Bengali fish curry tempered with Panch Phoron or Bengali five spices!
- 8 Tangra Fish (cleaned but whole catfish)
- 1 Potato (Big Size)
- 1 Eggplant (Medium size; or half)
- 2 Tomatoes (small)
- 1 Onion (Big Size)
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 4 Green Chili (or as per taste)
- 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron or Bengali five Spices
- 20 Bori/ Dried Lentil Dumplings
- 2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Salt or as per taste
- 6 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Sprinkle 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder, 1/2 Tsp. Salt, 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder and 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil over fish and marinade those.
- Keep the fish for 15 minutes before frying.
- Cut the Potato into wedges after removing the skin.
- Now cut Eggplant into wedges without removing the skin.
- Marinade Eggplant with 1/4 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder and Salt.
- Chop Onion and Tomato roughly.
- Now heat the 1 Tbsp. oil in a deep bottom Pan and fry Daal-er Bori.
- Strain bori from the pan and add 1 Tbsp. Oil and heat it.
- Now sauté Potato strips after adding 1/4 Tsp. Salt and once turned golden strain those.
- Now add another Tbsp. of Oil and heat it.
- Add eggplant strips and fry till they are golden and crisp.
- Strain those and add 2 Tbsp. Oil.
- Now fry fish carefully by not breaking those in medium flame and keep those aside too.
- Check the recipe video for frying tips.
- Once fried strain the fish.
- Temper the Oil remaining in the pan with Panch Phoron and then add chopped Onions and fry till those turn light pink in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let them cook on low flame.
- Add garlic paste as well.
- Now add little water and cook till oil comes from the mixture.
- Add Salt, Turmeric Powder, and Red chili powder and mix.
- Add one cup of water and cook till a boil comes.
- Now add 2 cups of water.
- Add Fried Potatoes and mix with the spices.
- Cook on medium flame to bring it to a boil till the potatoes are soft.
- Add fried fish and after mixing bring it to a boil.
- Add fried eggplant and fried bori as well.
- Boil for a minute and add 1/2 Tbsp. raw mustard oil and mix it.
- Add some more water if required as this curry is served a bit runny.
- Serve Tangra Macher Aloo, Begun ar Bori Jhol with hot steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 923mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1g
- Fiber: 10.8g
- Protein: 18.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tangra mach recipe, bori begun diye tangra mach, tyangra mach recipe video, debjanir rannaghar