Kumro diye Ilish Macher Jhol is a family favorite. We love this sweet (from pumpkin) and sour (from Tamarind) ilish jhol tempered with nigella seed aka kalojire at home a lot. Even Pasta enjoys this Ilish curry a lot. We picked three Hilsa fishes (around 1.2 kg each) during our last trip to Mandarmani. Whenever we go to Digha/ Udaypur / Sankarpur / Mandarmani we mandatorily visit the Digha fish market for fresh produces. We mostly go by car and carry an icebox with us.
We pick various fishes, seafood from the market on the last day of the trip and take back those home without cutting those in the icebox. This is kind of a happy ritual for us. At least 10-12 kg produces each visit is what we try to bring. We have a freezer at home and store those fish/ seafood in that and whenever needed get one and get it cut into desired pieces. This time we came back home with 3 Hilsa, 1 Bhetki, around 2 kgs Crab, and fresh prawns as well.
Kumro diye Ilish Macher Jhol
Kumro diye Ilish Macher Jhol is a light fish curry cooked with Hilsa Fish aka Ilish Maach. Ilish needs no further introduction especially if you are a Bengali. Considering the unique flavor of Ilish Maach we mostly do not cook it with spice in excess. This curry is a bit different from Famous Ilish er Tel Jhol as we cook this one only with Pumpkin. To adjust the sweetness of pumpkin, tamarind is added to this macher jhol.
Save Ilish Mach aka Hilsa Fish
When I am writing this recipe of Kumro diye Ilish Mach er Jhol, the season of Hilsa is over . This means I will not buy Ilish anymore as I need to support the cause of the ethical breeding of our favorite Ilish Maach. I want the future generation to savor Ilish mach as much as I have savored over the years.
Beyond Shorshebata Ilish and Doi Ilish
This particular dish which is basically a runny curry with Ilish maach and pumpkin was part of my pop-up menu more than once last year. This actually was quite surprising that people wanted me to emphasize on unsavored dishes. I have started this particular venture called direct from Debjanir Rannaghar during the lockdown in 2020. It was started as a fundraiser. I have donated all the profit that I had during the first three months and was about to stop there. However, the patrons wanted to have the delicacies on and off, and hence, I decided to offer limited portions only on Sundays.
Recipe of Kumro diye Ilish Macher JholPrint
Kumro diye Ilish Macher Jhol (Hilsa fish curry with Pumpkin)
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 Portions 1x
Kumro diye Ilish Macher Jhol is a subtle yet flavorful Bengali Hilsa fish curry cooked with Pumpkin.
- 6-7 Pieces Hilsa Fish / Ilish Maach (100g each)
- 250g Pumpkin
- 2 green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. Tamarind Paste
- 6 Tbsp. Mustard oil
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp. Salt
Spices for Marination
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp. Nigella Seed aka Kalojire
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- Marinate Hilsa/ Ilish Maach with 1 Tsp. Salt, 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder and also 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil.
- Keep the fish marinated for 15 minutes
Remove the skin of the Pumpkin and cut Pumpkin into small cubes.
Take 2 green chilies and cut them into halves.
Heat a pan and add 6 Tbsp. Mustard oil to the pan.
Heat the oil till it changes color.
Now lightly fry fish chunks one by one.
Fry one side for 30-45 seconds.
Turn the fish and fry for another 30-45 seconds.
Strain from the pan once lightly fried on both sides.
Following the same process fry the remaining fishes.
Separate around 3 Tbsp. Oil from the Pan.*
Add 2 cups of water to the bowl having the marinade. This will be added while cooking the fish.
Temper remaining oil in the pan with 2 dried red Chillies,
Add 1 Tsp. Nigella Seed aka Kalojire as well.
Mix with a spatula and cook for 30 seconds on low flame till it emits the aroma of the spices.
Now add Pumpkin cubes and cook on low flame.
Add 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder, 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder as well.
Also, add ½ Tsp. Salt.
Mix again to incorporate spices and cook for 3 minutes on low flame.
Now add the Water mixed with marinade and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
At this point add tamarind paste.
Mix in between and add Green Chillies.
After 10 minutes, the pumpkin will be properly cooked.
Add fried fishes one by one and cook for 5 minutes after adding the fishes.
Add 1 Tbsp. raw mustard oil to the Hilsa fish curry. This step is optional.
Switch the flame off and give a standing time of 5 minutes before serving.
Serve it hot with steamed rice!
- I never purchase Hilsa below 1 kg and this is a must!
- You can more chilies if you prefer to have Ilish macher jhol more spicy.
- *Ilish Bhajar Tel: This oil is known as Ilish bhajar Tel and is served with rice separately. You can check the detailed videos of the same on my channel. The link is given in the description box.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Set Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 175g
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Sodium: 1237mg
- Fat: 24.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 41.3g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
Keywords: Ilish Recipe, Ilish Macher Tel Jhol, Shorshebata Ilish, Kumro Diye Ilish, Ilish Mach recipe, Hilsa Fish Recipe, Debjanir Rannaghar
Ilish Mach Recipes
- Ilish Mach er Dim Bhuna (also known as Ilish Mach er Dim er Jhuri)
- Barishali Ilish (also known as Ilish Barishali)
- Lau Patay Ilish Paturi (also known as Lau Patay Ilish Bhapa)
- Sada Ilish (also known as Ilisher Panikhola)
- Kasundi Ilish (Hilsa cooked with Bengali Mustard Sauce Kasundi)
- Madhabi Mukherjee's Ilish Macher Matha diye Badhakopi from Gateway Hotel's Ilish Festival!
- Ilish Macher Tok (also known as Ilish Macher Tawk)
- Ilish Shukto! The journey from Debjanir Rannaghar to Taj Bengal's Kitchen......
- My take on Nona Ilish & Nona Ilish Bhorta/ Bhuna Recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Mawa Ghater Ilish Macher Lejar Bhorta (also known as Ilish Macher Bhorta)
- Ilish Macher Korma
- Bori Begun Aloo diye Ilish Macher Tel Jhol
- Ilish Pulao (also known as Bengali Hilsa Pulao Recipe)
- Doi Ilish, a classical Bengali Curd based Hilsa Curry
- Masoor Daler Patla Khichuri aar Ilish Mach Bhaja
- Bhapa Ilish (also known as Steamed Hilsa Fish or Ilish Bhapa)
- Ilish Macher Sorshe bata diye Jhal (also known as Hilsa Fish in Mustard Grav or Ilish er Shorshe Jhal or Shorshe Ilish)
Have you tried the easy Ilish Macher Jhol recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Leave a Reply