Pasta is 1 year 11 months now and she started speaking small words nowadays. It gives me immense pleasure to listen to new words from her each day. Yesterday’s new word was KEIK (not cake)! I was having my evening coffee after returning from office and she was having her portion of milk and homemade Peanut Butter Cookie and suddenly she hugged me and asked “Momma KEIK” and I was not sure whether she was asking for Cake or Kick 🙄 ; however my house help helped me out! She told me that Pasta had checked both my fridges several times for Cake 😯 and I finally able to understand that she was asking for CAKE! What a pathetic Mom I am !! I told her to wait a bit for her KEIK and decided to bake a quick cake with available ingredients in my place and ended on two loaves of Lemon Tea Cake!
She didn’t have her Lemon Tea Cake right away since I finally able to make it after dinner and she was sleeping when the cake was ready. We both had it in the morning; me with my cup of lemon tea and Pasta had it “Emni Emni” and then I heard a full sentence from her “Momma KEIK yummy yummy” 😎 ! Though the cake was super moist and tasty but I was thrilled after receiving such a beautiful comment from my baby! It made my day.
Coming to the recipe for Lemon Tea Cake; it is really easy to make and took my just 30 minutes to bake it. Instead of normal Lemon, I have used “Gandhoraj Lebu” which is a variety of flavored Lime easily available in West Bengal. This replacement worked superbly for my version of Lemon Tea Cake. It had an enchanting smell and it was gooey too! Given both mother-daughter love the outer brown skin of cake I had not scrapped it out even while clicking the pictures for my blog! Though it is looking a bit rough but believe me the flavor of the brown skin is too much to handle 😆 !
- All Purpose Flour: 1 Cup
- Powdered Sugar: ⅔ Cup
- Baking Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Baking Soda: ½ Tsp.
- Egg: 4
- Lemon Zest: 1 Tsp.
- Lemon Juice: 2 Tbsp.
- Refined Vegetable Oil: ⅔ Cup
- Scrap the skin of a Lemon using a scrapper to get the Zest and squeeze the same piece of Lemon for Juice.
- Keep Eggs in Room Temperature. This step is essential to make a gooey cake.
- Pre-heat the Oven in 180 degree C for 10 minutes.
- Sieve All Purpose Flour along with baking Powder and Baking Soda two times.
- Separate Egg White from Yolk and place those in two separate Bowl.
- Beat Egg White using a Blender with whisking attachment till the Egg white forms medium pick (as shown in the Picture) and keep that aside. It took me around 1 minute to make the medium pick.
- Now take Oil along with the Sugar Powder in a bowl and mix it using the mixing attachment till sugar dissolves and the mixture reaches a creamy consistency.
- Now add Egg Yolk to the Sugar and Oil mixture ad fold lightly.
- Add both Lemon Zest and Lemon juice to the mixture.
- Now add All Purpose Flour little by little to the Egg-Sugar-Oil mixture and mix lightly to fold it. Do not over-mix.
- Finally, add Egg White to the batter and fold very lightly to keep air bubbles within the mixture as much as possible to make the cake fluffy.
- Now take desired Cake tin (I have used my rectangular cake tin for this) and spray some oil on this and then place a piece of baking paper and set properly.
- Pour Cake batter in the tin till ⅔ height.
- Now place Cake tin(s) in the Oven and bake for around 15-20 minutes in 180 degrees C.
- Check whether the baking is done or not after 15 minutes by inserting a fork or toothpick. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready. It took me 20 minutes to bake the cake.
- Take the cake out of the oven and cool it on a wire rack.
- Cut the cake into bite sized pieces to serve.
All Purpose Flour can be replaced with Wheat Flour for a health version of the cake.