Kolhapuri Chicken is one of the famous dishes from the state of Maharashtra. This Chicken Curry is characterized by its red hot color and super spicy taste and texture !!! Mutton can also be prepared with the Kolhapuri Masala. I often prepare Kolhapuri chicken in small family gatherings. I love the tangy taste of the spices and the special aroma of roasted Coconut in the gravy of Kolhapuri Chicken.
I have mentioned the process of making Kolhapuri Masala as part of this recipe. This recipe of Kolhapuri Chicken is a winner and can be served with choise of Roti, Paratha or Rice.
- Chicken with bone: 1 Kg
- Fresh Curd: 200 gm
- Ginger-Garlic paste: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp.
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tbsp.
To make Kolhapuri Masala:
- Onions: 2
- Tomato: 1
- Grated coconut: 2 Tbsp.
- Ginger-Garlic paste: 2 Tsp.
- Red chilli powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric powder: ½ Tsp.
- Bay leaf: 1-2
- Cinnamon: 2 pieces
- Cloves: 6 pieces
- Crushed black pepper: ½ Tsp.
- Oil: 5 Tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Prepare marinade with turmeric powder, red chilies, garlic paste, salt and lime juice and curd and add chicken pieces to the marinade and leave it for 1.5 hours. I prefer to marinate chicken overnight.
- Hit oil in a deep pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, crushed black pepper and chopped onions. Sauté till onions turn light brown.
- Mix grated coconut and sauté till the mixture changes colour.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the mixture and cook it for 10 minutes in medium flame till oil separates out from the mixture.
- Cool the mixture and mix it in a blender to prepare rough puree which is the Kolhapur Masala.
- Heat oil in a pan and add marinated chicken to the pan and cook it on low flame for 30 minutes with regular stirring.
- Add Kolhapur Masala and mix properly.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes in low flame.
- You can garnish it with coriander leaves and can serve it with steamed rice.