One of the simplest forms of chicken curry in terms of cooking, Dhaba style Chicken Curry needs no introduction if you are a dhaba regular. We for sure are. We visit quite a few dhaba tucked on the highways quite regularly and love to have this curry with tandoori roti. The recipe is simple though calls for a few tricks.
I was planning the frame the recipe of highway chicken curry for quite some time. I have tried a few options; there were trials and errors. It was a bit weird that I was not able to get the exact flavors I was looking for. Then I have tried a simple thing. I have added Kasuri methi to the curry.
The perfect highway chicken curry aka dhaba chicken
The recipe calls for very basic ingredients and that is the beauty of this north Indian delicacy. Simple flavors, basic ingredients, and finger-leaking good. I have created the recipe video for Dhaba chicken as well.
If you are going to try the recipe, follow the instructions as it is and let me know the outcome!
Here’s how I cook Dhaba Style Chicken Curry at Debjanir RannagharPrint
Dhaba Style Chicken Curry is an easy-to-make Indian Chicken Curry and a roadside favorite. It takes hardly 30 minutes to cook this delicacy.
- 1 kg Chicken (curry cut)
- 3 Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 bunch Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 3 Bay Leaf
- 2” Cinnamon Stick
- 6 Green Cardamom
Spices and Other
- 5 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp. Ginger Paste
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- 1/2 Tsp. Coriander Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- 1/2 Tsp.Turmeric Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp. Kasuri Methi
- Salt to taste
Here’s how you cook Dhaba style Chicken Curry
- Wash and pat dry chicken pieces.
- Now roughly chop Onions.
- Make a paste of the Tomatoes.
- Cut Green Chillies into small Pieces.
- Roughly chop coriander leaves.
- Marinate Chicken at least for 15 minutes.
- Marinate chicken with 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste, 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste, 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder, 1/2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder, 1 Tsp. each of Cumin powder and Coriander Powder, 1 Tsp. Salt and also 2 Tbsp. Oil.
- Heat 5 Tbsp. Oil in a deep bottom pan.
- Heat the oil.
- Temper the oil with Bay leaf, Dry Red Chilli, Cinnamon Stick, and also Green Cardamom.
Cook for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and cook till the onion turns brown in color.
- Now add Ginger and Garlic Paste and cook for another minute.
- Add Tomato paste and cook till oil floats on the top.
- Now add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder, and also a little salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add little water in between while cooking.
- Now add 1 Tbsp. Kasuri methi and cook for a while.
- Now add marinated chicken and mix well.
- At this point add chopped green chilies and half of the chopped coriander leaves.
- Now add 2 cups of water and mix.
- Lower the flame and cook for 20 minutes without covering the pan with a lid.
- Once the chicken is properly cooked and the gravy is rich, add the remaining Kasuri methi and chopped coriander and mix again.
- Switch the flame off and wait for 10 minutes before serving Dhaba style chicken curry.
- Serve Dhaba Chicken Curry hot with your choice of Roti, Paratha, nan, rice, or Pulao.
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: North Indian
Keywords: Dhaba style Chicken Curry
Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar:
- Bangladeshi Chicken Roast (Also known as Biyebarir Chicken Roast)
- Mutton Ghee Roast (also known as Mangalorean Ghee Roast)
- Dak Bungalow Chicken Curry (Also known as Chicken Dak Bungalow)
- Aam Kasundi Murgi (Also known as Bengali Style Chicken in Mango Mustard Sauce)
- Kolkata style Chicken Bharta (Also known as Chicken Bhorta)
- Mangsher Ghughni (Also known as Yellow Pea Curry with Minced Mutton)
- Nalli Nihari (also known as Mutton Nihari)
- Bhat Bhaja (also known as Bengali Bhaja Bhat)
- Joggi Barir Mangsho (Also known as Biyebarir Mutton Curry)
- Kolkata Mutton Biryani (also known as Calcutta Biryani)
- Posto Mangsho (also known as Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed Paste)
- Mangsha Tarkari ( also known as Oriya Mutton Curry)
- Orange and Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables (Also known as Roast Chicken)
- Gota Moshlar Mangsho (Also known as Kata Moshlar Mangsho or Mutton cooked with whole spices)
- Phulkopi Aloo diye Chingri Kaliya (also known as Bengali Prawn Curry with Potato and Cauliflower)
- Bengali Mete Chorchori (also known as Mutton Liver side with Potato chunks)
- Hyderabadi Haleem (also known as Mutton Haleem)
- Bashi Pork Kosha (also known as Kosha Pork)
- Kolkata’s Mutton Tikia (also known as Tikia Kebab)
- Bengali Mutton Stew with Veggies in a pressure cooker (also known as Shobji diye Mangshor Jhol)
- Doi Murgi (Also known as Kolkata style Doi Chicken)
- Posto Mangsho (Also known as Bengali Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed Paste)
- Pork Jhol (Also known as Bengali Pork Curry)
- Bangladeshi Mutton Tehari (also known as ghost Tehari)
- Kochi Pathar Jhol (also known as Aloo diye Mangshor Jhol or Bengali Mutton Curry)
- Mutton Ghee Roast (also known as Lamb ghee roast)
- Keema Matar (also known as Mutton mincemeat cooked with green peas)
- Panch Phoron Murgi (also known as Bengali Chicken Curry with Panch Phoron)
- Dhakai Morog Pulao (also known as Sahi Morog Pulao)
- Mangsher Ghughni (also known as Yellow Pea Curry with Minced Mutton)
- Gota Roshun diye Mangshor Jhol (also known as Bengali Mutton Curry with Garlic Pod)
- Bangladeshi Kala Bhuna (Also known as Beef Kala Bhuna or Kalo Bhuna)
Have you tried the Dhaba style chicken curry recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
I would love to see a picture if you are making it following my recipe which you can share here on email@example.com. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here’s the Dhaba-style chicken curry Pin for your Pinterest Board!