It was Saptami this year and I decided to cook an elaborate meal and why not; after all friends were invited. I decided to make two Bangladeshi delicacies I personally cherish, Mutton Tehari and also Bangladeshi Chicken Roast. Now this Roast is completely different from the typical Chicken Roast we are familiar with. Big chunks of chicken cooked in a silky rich Gravy and they call it chicken Roast in Bangladesh. In fact, the dish is known as Biyebarir Chicken Roast as well.
Bangladeshi Chicken Roast aka Biyebarir Chicken Roast
A dish I learned from youtube videos, with no first-hand reference available to me. Bangladeshi Chicken Roast or Biyebarir Chicken Roast, as they call it in Bangladesh. I have made it several times at my place following the recipes I found and finally come up with my version of the same. Obviously, I have maintained the heart of the dish. For example, use of spice mix without dry roasting the spices to make it. A silky Gravy has Onion Paste, Chopped Onion and Beresta (Onion crisps) and Mawa to make it richer.
Completely different from the typical Chicken Roast we are aware of but Biyebarir Chicken Roast is undoubtedly one of the best chicken dishes I have tasted so far. One thing I must mention, I have never been to Bangladesh and hence never tasted the original Bangladeshi Chicken Roast. I come to know about this Chicken preparation with silky rich gravy from youtube. It is mentioned as Biyebarir Chicken Roast in most of the videos. I have no first-hand reference at this point to check though.
A Marriage feast special Chicken roast
Chicken Roast is a grilled chicken preparation; however Bangladeshi Chicken Roast is a gravy-based chicken delicacy. From the videos, I found they mostly use Chicken chunks similar to normal Chicken Roast while making the Bangladeshi Chicken Roast. The recipe though almost the same as conveyed by the videos where they use a few typical spices to make it. However, like every single dishes variations are there. I found they use a special spice powder to make the gravy flavorful. In addition, a paste of Nut (either Cashew nut or Almond) is also used. I found in one video, use of a paste of Raisin as well. I also added that while making the Bangladeshi Chicken Roast. Mawa or Khoya is used to make the gravy more "Sahi".
I made the Roast with around 3 Kgs of Chicken this time. However, I will be sharing the recipe for 1 Kg for the ease of the readers. A bit complicated process, with the use of several ingredients but the Bangladeshi Chicken Roast is worth for two hours of cooking journey.Print
Bangladeshi Chicken Roast, a rich gravy based chicken delicacy from Bangladesh; also known as Biyebarir Chicken Roast
- 1kg Chicken (A whole chicken to be cut into 4 pieces)
- 6 Onion
- 1.5 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 15 Green Chili
- 30 Cashew Nut
- 30 Raisin
- 2 Tbsp. Poppyseed/ Posto
- 200g Plain Curd
- 100g Mawa/ Khowa
- 50ml Fresh Cream/ Malai
- 1 Tsp. Kewra Water
- ¼ Tsp. Mitha Itr
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
Special Spice Mix:
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 inches Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Nutmeg
- 1 Mace (small)
- ½ Tsp. Sahi Jeera
- Wash and pat dry chicken pieces.
- Slit chicken pieces in between using a knife
- Rub ½ of the Garlic paste and ½ tsp. salt and leave the chicken chunks for 30 minutes.
- Make a powder of Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom, Cinnamon Stick, Nutmeg, Mace, and Sahi Jeera without roasting the spices.
- Soak Cashewnut, Raisin, and Poppyseed separately in water for 15 minutes and make a smooth paste of each item mentioned.
- Make a paste of 2 Onions.
- Slice the rest of the onions and fry half of the same to make Onion crisp or Beresta.
- Now take Curd along with Tomato Ketchup, spice powder, and Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder and make a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom Pan and fry Chicken chunks from both sides in medium flame till the chicken turn light brown. Refer to the picture.
- Stain chicken pieces from the Oil.
- Add half of the Ghee to the oil used for frying the chicken.
- Now add both sliced and paste onion and cook till the onion turns brown.
- Add the Curd-spice mix, Cashewnut paste, Raisin paste, and Poppyseed paste to the mixture.
- Cook till oil separates.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, slit green chili along with salt and sugar and cook till the nutty aroma goes away and oil separates from the mixture.
- Now add fried chicken and mix thoroughly.
- cook for 20 minutes covering the pan with a lid on low flame.
- Flip the chicken pieces in between.
- No need to add extra water as Chicken will release water itself.
- However, water can be added if required.
- Once the chicken is cooked properly, add Mawa, Fresh cream, Kewra water, and Mitha Itr and mix lightly.
- Serve Bangladeshi chicken Roast hot with your choice of Roti or Rice.
- Frying chicken is optional but advisable if using Poultry Chicken.
- Either use Big Chicken chunks (roast pieces) or use whole small chicken.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Calories: 846
- Sugar: 35g
- Sodium: 1013mg
- Fat: 35.9g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6g
- Carbohydrates: 60.6g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 68.8g
- Cholesterol: 184mg
Keywords: Bangladeshi chicken roast recipe, biyebarir chicken roast recipe, Bengali chicken roast recipe, debjanir rannaghar
- Chicken Keema Paratha
- Bengali Kosha Murgir Mangsho | Chicken Kosha
- Panch Phoron Murgi | Bengali Chicken Curry with Panch Phoron
- Instant Chicken Pulao Recipe | Chicken Pulao in Pressure Cooker
- Chicken Chaap; Chaap Bhaja, the perfect companion for Kolkata Biryani
- Dhaba Style Chicken Curry
- Doi Murgi | Kolkata style Doi Chicken | Bengali Curd based Chicken Curry Recipe
- Goalondo Steamer Curry or Boatman Style Chicken Curry
- Orange and Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables | Roast Chicken
- Kancha Lonka Murgi | Bengali Chicken Curry cooked with the skin of Green Chili Paste
- Murgi Khichuri | Chicken Khichuri
- Chicken Salad
- Chicken Liver Pâté Recipe
- Aam Kasundi Murgi aka Bengali Style Chicken in Mango Mustard Sauce
- Pishpash aka Pish Pash, the Anglo-Indian Rice and Chicken Hotchpotch
- Dak Bungalow Chicken Curry aka Chicken Dak Bungalow
- Bengali Desi Murgir Dum | Bengali Country Chicken Curry
- Methi Murgh Malai
- Restaurant Style Chicken Malai Kebab | Chicken Reshmi Kebab | Murg Malai Kebab
- Kolhapuri Chicken
- Sali ma Marghi
Have you tried the Biyebarir Chicken Roast Recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. In Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar or can tag me at @foodofdebjani.