First thing first, there are no similarities between Bengali Kancha Lonka Murgi and Chinese Chili Chicken! Though Green Chilies are the heart of Kancha Lonka Murgi like Chili Chicken. However, in taste, as well as ingredients wise these two dishes, are poles apart. Kancha Lonka Murgi is a simple Bengali Chicken curry prepared with the paste of the skin of Green Chilies while Chili Chicken is a popular Chinese Dish where chili is used subtly.
Kancha Lonka Murgi, Chicken curry cooked with green chili paste
Kacha Lonka Murgi is a personal favorite of mine. I love the aroma of green chilies in this particular chicken preparation. I actually love the flavor of green chilies. Mehebub though does not like chilies much however, he likes this particular preparation of chicken. This dish calls for very basic ingredients which you will see in the ingredient list provided below. Green chilies are used in a way that while having the chicken curry you feel the hotness yet it is not monstrously hot.
How to manage the spice level while cooking Kancha Lonka Murgi
Talking about the hotness, as I already have mentioned this dish is prepared with a paste of the skin of green chilies. This particular step, however, is the trickiest part while making the Kancha Lonkar Murgi. One must take precautions while separating the chili seeds from the skin. The use of gloves is highly advisable to avoid the burnt caused by the green chilies.Print
Kancha Lanka Murgi is a Bengali Chicken curry prepared with a paste of the skin of green chilies.
- 750g Chicken (medium pieces)
- 100g Hung Curd
- 4 Onion (sliced longitudinally)
- ½ Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 20 Green Chilies
- 2 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1.5 Tsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash chicken pieces thoroughly and pat dry them.
- Marinade chicken with ginger-garlic paste (half of the total quantity mentioned); cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder (half of the total quantity mentioned), and also a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp. mustard oil.
- Keep the chicken marinated for about 2 hours (you can increase the time for marination).
- Take 10 green chilies and de-seed them.
- Make a paste of chili skin along with 4-5 chilies with seeds.
- Take 3 tbsp. mustard oil in a deep bottom pan and temper oil with the bay leaf.
- Add sliced onions and fry till onions turn translucent in color.
- Add Ginger-Garlic Paste and fry for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Now add beaten curd and again fry for 5 minutes.
- Take all the spices mentioned in a bowl and add 1 tbsp. water.
- Mix spices to get a thick paste and add this mixture to the pan.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- You can add 1-2 tbsp. of water in between till oil comes out from the fried spices.
- Add Marinated chicken pieces and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Now it’s time to add the heart of the Dish – Green Chilies!
- Add Green Chili paste and mix properly.
- At this point, add 1.5 cups of hot water.
- Take one spoonful of gravy and check the spices and if required adjust them accordingly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a medium flame for around 10 minutes to get a thick, rich golden green chicken dish.
- Switch off the flame and give the chicken 5 minutes of standing time.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 15min
- Marination Time: 2 Hours
- Cook Time: 30min
- Category: Chicken, Side
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 12.3g
- Sodium: 993mg
- Fat: 20.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 27.4g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Protein: 44.8g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
Keywords: Kancha Lonka Murgi recipe, kacha lonka murgi recipe, Bengali green chili chicken curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar
- Methi Murgh Malai (also known as malai chicken)
- Aam Kasundi Murgi (also known as Bengali Style Chicken in Mango Mustard Sauce)
- Instant Chicken Pulao Recipe | Chicken Pulao in Pressure Cooker
- Restaurant-style Butter Chicken | Murgh Makhani | Chicken Makhani
- Doi Murgi (Also known as Kolkata style Doi Chicken)
- Chicken Keema Paratha
- Robibarer Murgir Jhol (also known as Bengali Chicken Curry)
- Bengali Desi Murgir Dum (Also known as Bengali Country Chicken Curry)
- Orange and Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables (also known as Roast Chicken)
- Dak Bungalow Chicken Curry (also known as Chicken Dak Bungalow)
- Chicken Chaap (also known as Chaap Bhaja)
- Chicken Kosha | Bengali Kosha Murgir Mangsho
- Bangladeshi Chicken Roast (also known as Biyebarir Chicken Roast)
- Kolkata style Chicken Bharta (Also known as murgh bhorta)
Let's Connect over the delectable Kachalonka Murgi Recipe!
I would love to see a picture if you are making the prawns following my recipe. You can share here at email@example.com. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.