Panch Phoron Murgi aka Panch Phoron diye Murgir Jhol
Here's how I cook Panch Phoron Murgi at Debjanir Rannaghar!Print
Manch Phoron Murgi aka Panch Phoron Murgir Jhol is a simple Bengali chicken Curry flavored with Bengali five spices. Needless to say, it is different from regular Bengali Murgir Jhol
- Chicken: 750g (curry-cut)
- Potato: 4
- Onion: 3
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Green Chili: 3-4
- Panch Phoron: 2 Tsp.
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Lemon Juice: 2 Tbsp.
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- Dry-roast 1 Tsp. of Panch Phoron and make a coarse powder of it.
- Wash and pat dry chicken chunks.
- Marinate chicken with 1/2 Tsp. each of Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Bengali Garam Masala Powder, 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron powder, 1/2 Tbsp. Sugar and also 1/2 salt and 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil as well for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut potatoes into halves.
- Roughly chop onion and tomatoes.
- Now heat Mustard oil in a deep bottom pan and temper the oil with dry red chili and whole panch phoron.
- Add chopped onion and cook till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, green chili followed by ginger paste, and also garlic paste.
- Cook on low flame till the oil floats on the top.
- Add all the remaining spice powders except Garam masala powder and cook for a while.
- Now add marinated chicken and also the potatoes and mix with the spices.
- Cook on low flame till chicken releases moisture.
- This will take around 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and cover the pan with a lid and cook till the chicken and potatoes are well-cooked.
- This will take around 15 minutes.
- Add remaining Garama masala Powder and switch the flame off.
- Add Lemon juice at this point.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Bengali
Chicken Recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
- Orange and Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables (also known as Roast Chicken)
- Dak Bungalow Chicken Curry (also known as Chicken Dak Bungalow)
- Murgi Khichuri (also known as Murgir Mangshor Khichuri)
- Chicken Chaap (also known as Chaap Bhaja)
- Pishpash aka Pish Pash (also known as Anglo-Indian Rice and Chicken Hotchpotch)
- Doi Murgi (also known as Kolkata style Doi Chicken or Bengali Curd based Chicken Curry Recipe)
- Aam Kasundi Murgi (also known as Bengali Style Chicken in Mango Mustard Sauce)
- Bengali Desi Murgir Dum (also known as Bengali Country Chicken Curry)
- Authentic Green Thai Chicken Curry recipe (also known as Green Thai Curry)
- Bangladeshi Chicken Roast (also known as Biyebarir Chicken Roast | বাংলাদেশী বিয়েবাড়ির চিকেন রোস্ট)
- Restaurant Style Chicken Malai Kebab (also known as Chicken Reshmi Kebab | Murg Malai Kebab)
- Kolkata style Chicken Bharta (also known as Chicken Bhorta)
- Kancha Lonka Murgi (also known as Bengali Chicken Curry cooked with the skin of Green Chili Paste)
- Robibarer Murgir Jhol from my Mother’s Kitchen (also known as Bengali Chicken Curry)
- Chicken Salad (also known as cold chicken salad)
- Tandoori Chicken (also known as Chicken Tandoori)
- Kerala Style Chicken Stew (also known as Kerala Chicken Stew)
- Bengali Chicken Stew (also known as Kolkata style Chicken Stew)
- Goalondo Steamer Curry (also known as Boatman Style Chicken Curry)
- Kolhapuri Chicken (also known as Kolhapur Chicken)
Have you tried the Bengali Panch Phoron Murgir Jhol recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Panch Phoron Chicken Curry Pin for your Pinterest Board!