Murgi Khichuri in a Pressure Cooker!
Murgir Manghsor Khichuri, a perfect one-pot meal!
The side-dishes for Bangali Murgi Khichuri!
Here is how I make Bengali Murgi Khichuri at Debjanir Rannaghar!
Bengali Murgi Khichuri is an easy one-pot meal cooked with chicken chunks, rice, and red lentil
- Chicken: 400g (curry-cut without skin)
- Gobindobhog Rice: 150g
- Red Lentil/ Masoor Dal: 150g
- Onion: 3
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Green Chili: 2
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Cinnamon Stick: 1"
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Wash chicken chunks.
- Marinate chicken with 1/2 Tsp. each of Cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar, salt, and also 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash both Gobindobhog Rice and also Red lentil under running water and soak in plain water for 15 minutes.
- Chop Onion and also Tomato.
- Heat remaining Mustard oil in a pressure cooker and temper the oil with Bay Leaf, Dry Red Chili, Green Cardamom, and also Cinnamon Stick.
- Add chopped onion and fry till the onion turned translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes followed by ginger and also garlic paste.
- Add chopped green chilies as well.
- Now add remaining Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, Red chili powder, Sugar, and also 1/2 Tsp. Salt.
- Mix everything and cook till oil floats on the top.
- Add marinated chicken and cook for five minutes on low flame and stir in between.
- Now add soaked rice and lentil and mix with the chicken.
- Stir to fry the rice and lentil for 3-4 minutes.
- Adjust spices if needed.
- Now add 5 cups of boiling water to cover the rice.
- The water should cover the rice and must be two inches over the rice.
- Adjust the water based on the type or size of the cooker you are using.
- Now put the lid on and place the vent weight.
- Cook on high flame till the pressure builds and releases once (one whistle).
- Reduce the flame and wait till the pressure builds again and releases once more (another whistle).
- Switch the flame off. Wait till the pressure drops completely.
- Open the lid and mix the Khichuri with a ladle.
- If needed add little hot water to make it runny.
- Now add Ghee and remaining Bengali Garam Masala Powder and mix.
- We prefer some more Ghee which we add while serving the Khichuri.
Gobindobhog or any short-grain flavored rice works best for this recipe. If not, available you can use Basmati or Mogra, or Chinigura rice.
I do not like the Khichuri loaded with chicken instead prefer a few chunks per person. I use 50g pieces of chicken so that per person there are around 2-3 pieces.
Ghee is optional. You can completely skip it.
You can use green peas, carrot, cauliflower, and also potato while making this. However, we prefer not to add veggies in this particular preparation.
Instead of chopped tomato, you can use tomato puree or paste.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Bengali
Easy one-pot meal recipes from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Birista Pulao (also known as Piyaz Beresta Pulao)
Have you tried the Bengali Chicken khichdi recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Here's the Bengali Murgir Mangsher khichuri Pin for your Pinterest Board!