Last moment Diwali preparation; managing the typical hassle passel of life and finally I am able coming up with the Diwali post this year! Simple, Kesar Peda is my Diwali gift to the readers. I have decided to not to post anything new this year for Diwali instead I planned to change the old pictures from several posts! Yes, you can check the new Avtar of Besan Laddu or Chanar Jilapi and Darbesh for that matter! I actually have made quite a good lot of sweet this year! Then, I found I have around 500g Khoya left and finally decided to come up with something easy, and hence Kesar Peda.
Peda requires no introduction however, I would like to share my Peda ( Kesar Peda experience and preference). Mathura Ka Peda is famous but I have had my best share at Gaya (Bihar) during my two years of stay there. I still remember the amazing Peda from Pramod Laddu
I made Kesar Peda this time with store bought Khoya along with some readily available ingredients. It took me hardly 1 hour to make around 30 Peda that too while doing other work. If you are out of time but wanted to make an Indian dessert, you can try out the recipe of Kesar Peda.
- Khoya / Mawa: 500g (I have used unsweetened Khoya)
- Milk: 4 Tbsp.
- Sugar: 6-7 Tbsp. (adjust according to taste)
- Saffron / Kesar: ½ Tsp.
- Green Cardamom Powder: ½ tsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tsp. (Optional)
- Pistachios: for decoration
- Heat the Milk and mix ¾ of the Saffron with it and leave the mixture aside.
- Grate the Khoya or just crumble using your hand.
- Now take Khoya in a pan and start cooking on low flame.
- Stir continuously until the Khoya melts and then add sugar to it.
- This will take around 6-8 minutes.
- Mix and cook in low flame for 5 minutes.
- Cook till the mixture thickens.
- Add Green Cardamom Powder and the Milk and Saffron mixture to the Khoya.
- The mixture will emit aroma and will turn bright yellow in color.
- Switch the flame off.
- Transfer the thick mixture into a plate and let it cool before shaping the Peda.
- Once the mixture is ready to be shaped by hand ( completely cooled down) crumble it using the hand.
- Divide the mixture into 25-30 small portions.
- Make Ball of each Portion
- Now take a ball and shape the Peda.
- Following the same step make rest of the Kesar Peda.
- Decorate each Kesar Peda with remaining Kesar/ Saffron and Pistachios.
Pedacan be stored in air-tight container for 10 days.
Do check my Diwali Sweet listing for other Diwali Sweet recipes apart from Kesar Peda!
- Chocolate dipped Coconut Mawa Laddu
- Baked Kesari Sandesh
- Karachi Halwa
- Chocolate Burfi
Happy Diwali from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Have you tried the Kesar Peda Recipe from Debjanir Rannaghar!
Do let me know how it came out. Also, I would love to see a picture of the same which you can share here on email@example.com. In Instagram, you can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar or can tag me at @foodofdebjani.