This is the BEST and simplest plum cake trifle you will ever make! With just a few ingredients, it's an easy and delicious dessert that will please everyone in your family! If you're looking for the perfect way to show off your dessert cooking skills, then this is the recipe for you! This trifle is delicious, easy to make, and perfect for a special occasion or just a simple night in. So what are you waiting for? Trifle with Plum Cake today!
Ending 2022 with a perfect dessert recipe- Plum Cake Trifle
This Plum Cake Trifle Recipe is probably my 2022s last one on this blog. You will get to see new recipes in 2023 for sure, if God is willing, from my end. Considering it is 29 December today, I don't think I will have time to come up with another recipe or two this year.
- Ending 2022 with a perfect dessert recipe- Plum Cake Trifle
- A failed Social media influencer?
- What is Plum Cake Trifle?
- The Layers of Trifle!
- Plum Cake Trifle, a perfect dessert for New Year's Party
- Recipe Card
- Trifle with Plum Cake Recipe Video
- Best Recipes for New Year's Party
- Let's connect over an easy Trifle Recipe
- Trifle Recipe Pin for You
A failed Social media influencer?
There were some decisions I took this year and so far I am happy with those. It was the time of lockdown when I decided to give quality time to my blog and youtube channel along with other social media handles that I maintain instead of spending time on networking. After a full-time job as an ESG specialist, managing the family, spending time with the daughters (one human and 2 dogs); a bit of extra quality time with the partner, managing time is really challenging. I think the only way I could have networking is by cutting the time for creating content or by reducing my OTT time or reading time. Is it worth it?
Do I really need that tag? Or at all, it is needed to be with people I don't even like much? These are what I asked myself sometime around the start of this year. I realized I don't really need to opt for socializing. I did that for more than 8 years. Was it any good? Well, I learned a few things; especially what I actually need to avoid. Networking is good for some people. It is just I am not part of that group of people anymore. I am a misfit I suppose. It is fortunate that I am finally able to locate my Nevermore again!
It took me 8 years to understand and I am at peace now. Kind of aloof. So far it is working well. Nobody is bothered about me apart from the close ones, and neither I am with others. This is the kind of detoxication I was craving for so long. It costs me a tumor. The tumor is termed as a social media influencer, people who are who's who of social media. I would say I am happy now with my little world; with the organic mode. Do not think that I am criticizing the world of Influencing; oh I am not. It is just something I don't crave anymore.
You can call me a snob, or a failed social media influencer. I really don't mind whatever it is. However, this is who I am and this is my blog Debjanir Rannaghar where I write Recipes. I guess it is time to get back to the recipe!
What is Plum Cake Trifle?
When do you call a trifle Plum Cake Trifle? Simple... When you use plum cake as the base while making the people-pleasing layered dessert.
Well, Trifle is a family favorite and I specifically love to make it considering the process is super easy. It is just a matter of layering the ingredients and voila. This particular variety of Trifle with plum cake is something I make for New Year's dinner spread. The leftover cakes from Christmas turned into a big batch of trifle and also rum balls. For Pasta, I make non-alcoholic versions. Though my little lady once in a while demands the alcoholic versions.
The Layers of Trifle!
Time needed: 20 minutes.
Trifle is a famous layered English Dessert. Mostly cake, custard, cream, jam, and seasonal fruits are used in making this chilled dessert. The word Trfle stands for something of little importance. This dessert is characterized by the layering of easily available ingredients. Here goes the detail of the layers I prefer.
- Plum Cake Layer
Nutty, Boozy Plum cake makes the first layer perfect.
- Booze layer
A must while making a trifle; I actually make two batches; one with alcohol and another without it.
- Jam Layer
Use your imagination; utilize your stock. I prefer to use homemade seasonal jam for this layer.
- Custard layer
A thick layer of rich custard makes the Trifle perfect. For the eggless version; I use custard powder to make the custard and for with egg version I use authentic custard prepared with Egg.
- Fruit layer
Go seasonal. I do. In winter I prefer using a choice of berries and grapes.
- Cream Layer
A soft-pick layer of whipped cream makes the Plum Cake Trifle almost complete.
- Some more layers
Be creative my friend!
Plum Cake Trifle, a perfect dessert for New Year's Party
Well, I mostly use leftover Plum Cake from the Christmas batch to make this dessert 😛 . A classic dessert with a twist that is sure to please, this trifle recipe is delicious and easy to make. Made with layers of rich plum cake and creamy custard, this dessert is perfect for any occasion.
If you're looking for the perfect way to impress your guests, then this is the trifle for you! Not only is it delicious, but it's also very sophisticated and stylish. I'll show you how to make the perfect trifle, step by step, and you'll be able to enjoy it in no time at all!Print
Plum Cake Trifle
A classic dessert that is sure to please, this plum cake trifle recipe is delicious and easy to make. Made with layers of rich plum cake and creamy custard, this dessert is perfect for any occasion.
- Prep Time: 15min
- Set Time: 2 Hours
- Cook Time: 30min
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Continental
To make the custard
- Custard makes the 5th layer of the Trifle. However, as we need it at room temperature or better chilled, we need to make it first.
- I used Custard powder to make the custard.
- You can use eggs to make authentic custard though!
- Take 3 Tbsp. Vanilla Custard Powder in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of Warm Milk and mix to make the mixture.
- We need the custard for the trifle to be thick and hence, you need to use custard powder wisely (3 Tbsp. for 750ml of milk).
- Now bring 750ml full-cream milk to boil.
- Add 4 Tbsp. Sugar to it and let it mix.
- Now add the custard mix and mix thoroughly.
- Cook on slow flame for 5 minutes.
- Mix vigorously so that there's no lump.
- Let it cook for a minute on a slow flame and switch the flame off.
- Let the Vanilla custard come to room temperature.'
- I prefer to have the custard chilled while layering it for the Trifle.
- Cut a 1-pound Plum Cake into small pieces.
- Take a Trifle bowl and layer the cake.
- The cake will make the base of the Trifle.
- Pour the brandy to coat each piece of cake.
- For Non-alcoholic Trifle, instead of brandy use orange juice.
- In this recipe for Christmas Trifle, I have used some homemade Strawberry Jam for the next layer.
- Spread the jam over the cake pieces wisely.
- This layer is very important to balance the flavors.
- Now pour the chilled custard over the jam layer and spread properly.
- The custard must be at room temperature or better chilled.
- Check the consistency of the Custard. Do not use runny custard in a trifle.
Fruit Layer 1
- Here I must mention, I keep the trifle in the refrigerator before adding the fruits to set the custard. This takes around 30 minutes.
- The next layer is having fruits!
- Layer the trifle with seasonal fruits.
- I have used Strawberries, blueberries, and Grapes.
- Cut them into small pieces.
- Layer the fruits over the custard layer.
- Now take 300ml whipped cream (chilled) in a bowl.
- Use a hand blender and whip till a soft pick is there.
- The whipped cream I have used is having sugar already.
- If you are using cream without sugar, add 3 Tbsp. Castor sugar while whipping it.
- Layer the trifle with the cream.
- Pour and level the whipped cream properly.
- Once done, keep it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before final decoration.
- Once done, decorate the trifle with fruits.
Final Layer / Decoration
- I use seasonal fruits, tutti frutti for this.
- Use your creativity while decorating the trifle. I am not a much creative person. I use the simplest way possible.
- Along with Strawberries and Blueberries, I have used some homemade Tutti frutti.
- You can make tutti frutti following my recipe or can buy those.
- Once the decoration is done, let the Plum cake Trifle chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Instead of plum cake, you can use other cakes as well.
- You can use canned fruits as well instead of fresh fruits.
- I used custard powder to make the custard. You can use eggs and flour to make it authentically.
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 704
- Sugar: 15.8g
- Sodium: 441mg
- Fat: 31.2g
- Saturated Fat: 14.8g
- Carbohydrates: 91.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 122mg
Trifle with Plum Cake Recipe Video
If you're looking for the best plum cake trifle recipe around, look no further! In this video, I'll show you how to make the perfect trifle, step by step. This recipe is easy to follow and will leave you happy every time you eat it!
Best Recipes for New Year's Party
- Indian Mutton Raan Roast (also known as Indian-Style Mutton Leg Roast)
- Mutton Korma Recipe, Bengali Muslim-style
- Restaurant-style Butter Chicken (also known as Murgh Makhani | Chicken Makhani)
- Butter Garlic Prawn (also known as Garlic Butter Shrimp)
- Kolkata Mutton Biryani (also known as Calcutta Biryani)
- Basa Fish Curry with Coconut Milk (also known as easy Basa Curry)
- Crab Malai Curry (also known as Narkel Dudh-e Kakra | Kakra Malai Curry)
- Chicken Kosha (also known as Bengali Kosha Murgir Mangsho)
- Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Bangladeshi Kala Bhuna (also known as Beef Kala Bhuna | Kalo Bhuna Recipe)
- Anglo-Indian Pork Meatball Curry
- Malai Kofta
- Crab Malai Curry (also known as Narkel Dudh-e Kakra | Kakra Malai Curry)
- Chaler Payesh (also known as Bengali Rice Kheer)
Let's connect over an easy Trifle Recipe
I would love to see a picture if you are making the prawns following my recipe. You can share here at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it through Instagram as well. and in addition, you can tag me at @foodofdebjani.