Don’t misinterpret “Kancha Lanka Murgi” with Chili Chicken!!!! Though Green Chilies are the heart of Kancha Lanka Murgi alike Chili Chicken but taste as well as ingredient wise these two dishes are poles apart …. “Kancha Lanka Murgi “is a popular Bengali Chicken Dish flavored with lots of Green Chilies and can be found easily in any Bong speciality restaurant while Chili Chicken is popular Chinese Dish…
I am a die-heart fan of the “Kancha Lanka Murgi” of Ohh Calcutta restaurant! I have prepared it on Mahanabami to complement with my Ghee Bhat and believe me it was a blockbuster!!!!
Kancha Lanka Murgi | Bengali Chili flavored Chicken Curry
Kancha Lanka Murgi is a Bengali Chicken dish prepared with chicken marinated with a paste of the skin of green chilies and this dish is dominated with the flavor of chilies.
- Chicken: 750 g (medium pieces)
- Onion: 4 (sliced longitudinally)
- Ginger Paste: ½ tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp.
- Tomato: 2 (pureed)
- Green Chilies: 20
- Cumin Powder: 2 tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: ½ tbsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 2 tsp.
- Bay leave : 1-2
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Oil: 4 tbsp.
- Wash chicken pieces thoroughly and pat dry them and marinade with ginger-garlic paste (half of the total quantity mentioned), pureed tomato (half of the total quantity mentioned), cumin powder-coriander powder – turmeric powder (half of the total quantity mentioned), pinch of salt and 1 tbsp. mustard oil for about 2 hours (you can increase the time for marination).
- Take 10 green chilies and de-seed them and make a paste of de-seeded chilies along with 4-5 chilies with seed; number of green chilies with seed is up to your taste-bud; I prefer my Kancha Lanka Murgi a bit spicier.
- Take 3 tbsp. mustard oil in a deep bottom pan and temper oil with the bay leaf and after that add sliced onions and fry till onions turn translucent in colour .
- Add Ginger-Garlic Paste and fry for 2-3 minutes in low flame and add pureed tomato and again fry for 5 minutes.
- Take all the spices mentioned in a bowl and add 1 tbsp. water and mix spices to get a thick paste and add this mixture to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes in low flame (can add 1-2 tbsp of water in between) till oil comes out from the fried spices.
- Add Marinated chicken pieces and cook for 10 minutes in low flame.
- Now it’s time to add the heart of the Dish – Green Chilies!!!!! Add Green Chili paste and mix properly.
- Now it’s time to add 1.5 cup of hot water.
- Take one spoonful of gravy and check the spices and if required adjust them accordingly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook in medium flame for around 10 minutes to get a thick, rich golden green chicken dish.
- Switch off the flame and give the chicken 5 minutes of standing time.
- Garnish “Kancha Lanka Murgi “with slitted Green Chilies!!!!!