It’s been more than 6 years of food blogging and I somehow felt bored a year back and started writing about other aspects of food apart from the recipes and in fact started enjoying food reviews, product reviews , travel diaries ( though those were part of Debjanir Rannaghar since long) and even posts on food walks. It was indeed an eventful year starting from last July when we shifted our base to Kolkata again! It is not that I didn’t write recipes at all in fact my post on the South Indian Filter Coffee was having the recipe but obviously there is gap for sure. It is not intentional but it hasn’t occurred to me that I am having gap in posting recipes ; for which the blog is actually meant for until I was intimated ( yes you are reading right) by one of my reader that she enjoys other things as well in my blog but want recipes and my funny recipe stories too. I was both shocked yet happy receiving the mail because it is just amazing to see that somebody (hopefully more than one person) actually tracking the blog and coming back to me with the feedback. As they say “there is no feedback for the feedback” so no excuses but a recipe this time; nothing but super healthy and fortunately tasty (given the little one was happy with the treat and me too; so I am quite sure on the taste part) Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies because once a recipe blogger always a recipe blogger.
Now let me share something, this particular post is special to me given I entered in my tiny kitchen after a gap of 20 long and painful days to bake the Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies! Wondering why?? Well those who are connected to me through Facebook are well aware through my day to day feed that I am suffering with slip disk since last almost 20 days and was literally bedridden with pain. Starting this week I started moving a bit and the first thing I did was nothing but making my own coffee two days back and it felt heavenly and then I realized I am out of the stock of my homemade cookies which both me and Pasta loves to utilize with our morning cup of beverage. I finally made a small batch of cookies today to cater our need for home bakes and this time I opted for something that both of us love to have, Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies, with the crunch of oatmeal and loaded with the chocolate chips. I personally love this particular variety not only for the taste quotient but for the health quotient as well! I being a pathetic unhealthy eater, prefer to have something light yet healthy to start the morning but what people consider one the best thing to have in morning which is Oat is not typically something I like! When I add Oats to my cookies which has no butter neither all-purpose flour but little oil and whole wheat flour, that turned into something amazing.
On this note let me share the recipe of Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies. As I already mentioned, Oatmeal is one of the main ingredient that I have used making the cookies and along with that I used whole wheat flour and vegetable oil, eggs and brown sugar and normal sugar in a proportion of 2:1 and last but not the least chocolate chips; a bit extra actually. Rest is nothing but fuss free baking for 15 minutes and then voila!
- Oatmeal: 1 cup (150 g)
- Whole Wheat Flour: 2 Cup (300 g)
- Baking Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Baking Soda: 1 Tsp.
- Chocolate Chips: 150 g
- Egg: 3
- Refined Vegetable Oil: 1 Cup
- Vanilla Extract: 3-4 drops
- Brown Sugar: 1 Cup (150 g)
- Powdered Sugar: ½ Cup (75 g)
- All the ingredients have to be in room temperature before making the cookie dough.
- Pre-heat the oven in 180 degree C for 10 minutes and start making the cookie dough simultaneously.
- Shift Whole Wheat Flour along with Baking Powder and Baking Soda for 2 times and mix Oatmeal with the flour and keep dry mixture aside.
- To make the Wet mixture take Eggs along with the vanilla essence in a bowl and start beating the same in medium speed (I have used my hand blender for this step) until the mixture turns frothy.
- Now add Refined Vegetable Oil to the mixture and beat for around a minute in medium speed.
- Now add both Brown Sugar and normal Powder Sugar and mix again until the mixture turns creamy and sugar dissolves completely.
- Now start folding the dry mixture with the wet mixture to complete the cookie dough.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts and start mixing the dough.
- Add Chocolate chips to the mixture.
- It should be semi-tight (soggy) cookie dough that can be handled with a spoon to make the cookies.
- Take a baking tray and line that with a baking paper and with the help of a table spoon or Ice-cream scoop start pouring the dough on the baking tray and press with the help of your fingers to flatten the dough a bit as shown in the picture to shape the cookies.
- Now bake Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies for 12-15 minutes (it took me 15 minutes to bake my batch of cookies) in 180 degree C.
- Take the cookies out in a wire rack to cool those down and enjoy those crunchy tasty treats after that!
Same applies to chocolate chips and oatmeal; we loved ours with a bit more of the both the ingredients.
Here are two blender options in case you wanted to try what I am using!