As I already mentioned in my last post ( click here for the story of A for Apple) that Pasta turned 2 on 2nd September and this year it was truly a homely affair given I have prepared each and every food at home and was supported by my mom in terms of cooking. Alike last year, this year also I have baked her Birthday cake; it was a Rainbow Cake on her first birthday and this year I opted for typical , traditional Black Forest Cake.
Black Forest is actually a popular Cake with a German origin and it is also known as Black Forest Gâteau and got its name from liquor originated in the Back Forest Mountain range in Switzerland. I personally prefer the name Black Forest Gâteau over Black Forest Cake. Black Forest Cake is actually a layered Chocolate cake with layers separated by Whipped cream and Maraschino Cherries and spreaded with a liquor extracted from Cherries called “Kirsch”. However in India, kirsch is substituted with Cherry syrup to make the cake non-alcoholic. I also have opted for non-alcoholic Cherry syrup given I have made it for my little one and personally I love the Indian flavour of this German Cake!
This is my first attempt of making Black Forest at home and to be very frank I was not confident at all. In fact I am not fully satisfied with my decorating skills but taste beat everything! My Black Forest Cake rocked the party and even a small gate together planned 2 days after the Birthday. I did not opted for Eggless cake for this Black Forest instead tried it with my tried and tasted basic Chocolate Cake with Eggs. However, if you don’t want to add Eggs in your cake then follow my recipe of Eggless Chocolate cake for making the base of the Black Forest Cake. In my Black Forest Cake I have made 3 layers but you can opt for more layers if you wish to!
For making Chocolate Cake with Eggs:
- All Purpose Flour/ Maida: 2 cup
- Cocoa Powder: ½ cup
- Baking Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Baking Soda: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: ½ Tsp.
- Instant Coffee Powder: 1 Tbsp.
- Powdered Sugar: 1.5 cup
- Unsalted Butter: 1 cup
- Eggs: 4
- Vanilla Essence: 1 Tsp.
For making the syrup:
- Syrup from Cherry Tin: 1 cup
- Water: ½ cup
- Sugar: 2 Tbsp.
For making the Frosting:
- Heavy Whipping Cream: 750ml (I’ve used delight’s Non-dairy Whipping Cream)
- Tinned Cherries:1 Tin
- Chocolate Bar:1 (I’ve used Bournville)
Making of the Cake:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Making-of-Blakc-Forest-Cake-2-300x212.jpg"][/url]
- Preheat the Oven in 180 degree C for 10 minutes.
- Sift All Purpose Flour along with Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder and Baking Soda 2 times. And keep that aside.
- Mix Instant Coffee Powder with 2 Tbsp. Hot water.
- Now take Butter in Room temperature in a Glass Bowl and using a Electric Blender (Whipping attachment) start mixing it in medium speed until butter turns creamy.
- Add Sugar Powder to the Butter and blend it for 1 minute in medium speed.
- Now add Coffee Powder mixed water and Vanilla Essence to the mixture and again blend it till the coffee mixes properly.
- Now add one egg to the mixture and blend in high speed and then add rest of the eggs one by one and keep the mixture blending till it turns frothy.
- Finally start adding Flour mixture by parts (I have added in three parts) to the wet mixture and mix it lightly by cutting and folding using a spoon. Never overmix in this stage else the mixture will release bubbles and cake will not turn fluffy.
- Take a 9” round cake tin and line it with a Parchment paper and then pour the cake mix in to the Cake tin.
- Place the cake in in Pre-heated oven and bake it for 40 minutes in 180 degree C.
- Check the cake after every 3 minutes when 30 minutes over by inserting a tooth pick in the middle of the cake.
- Remove the cake from oven when tooth pick come out clean from the cake.
- Cool the Chocolate cake in a Wire rack and then remove it from the cake tin.
Making of the Cherry Syrup:
- Open the tin containing Cherries and strain the Syrup from the Cherries.
- Add ½ Cup water and 2 Tbsp. Sugar Powder to the thick syrup to dilute it and to make it sweeter.
- Keep it aside for decoration.
- Whipping the Cream:
- Refrigerate the Whipping Cream along with the Bowl to be used for whipping the cream and the whipping attachment of the mixer for 1 hour before whipping.
- Now take some ice cube in a bowl and place the bowl to be used of whipping the cream over the ice cubes.
- Start whipping the cream initially in medium speed and then in high speed until stiff pick forms. Don’t over whip the cream else it will turns to Butter.
Assembling and Decorating Black Forest Cake:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Making-of-Blakc-Forest-Cake-1-300x188.jpg"][/url]
- Cut the upper side of the cake in case it is not levelled.
- Then Cut it horizontally in to 3 Pieces.
- In case you are available with a turn table use it to decorate the cake. I don’t have one and I have used a normal steal plate instead of a turn table.
- Take a flat plate or Cake Board and put some cream on the middle and place first piece of the cake over the cream.
- Now using a Pastry brush apply Cherry syrup on the upper side of the cake evenly.
- Now using a spatula put good amount of Cream over the Cherry syrup coated Cake and spread it evenly. Don’t fill the cake top till the edges.
- Now spread some chopped cherries over the cream layer.
- Place 2nd layer of the cake over the layer of cherries and following the same method apply cherry syrup, Cream and Chopped cherries.
- Place the final layer of cake and after applying Cherry syrup cover entire cake with Cream.
- Now place the cake in refrigerator for 1 hour before further decoration.
- Take rest of the cream and fill a piping bag with it and attach a piping nozzle of your choice.
- Decorate the cake with the help of the piping bag filled with Cream. I have given a wavy decoration to my cake.
- Fill the upper side with whole Cherries and Sprinkle Grated Chocolate to Finish Black Forest Cake.
I have used Unsalted Butter and have added little salt to the mixture. In case you are using normal Salted table butter then don't add extra salt.
Since I have used Packaged Whipping Cream with added sugar, I have not added extra Sugar while whipping the Cream. In case you are using normal heavy cream to make the frosting then add 3 Tbsp. of Icing Sugar while Whipping the Cream.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: World