My first attempt with icing and cake decoration and that too for my daughter’s first birthday … I always love rainbow cake for its vibrant colours so I decided to prepare it for Pasta’s birthday but Mehebub was not at all happy with the decision as he’s not confident with my cake making skills …It took me around 5 hours in total to make this Rainbow Surprise Cake and everybody liked it!
Rainbow Surprise Cake
- Total Time: 5 hours
- All Purpose Flour: 750 g
- Unsalted Butter: 300g
- Castor Sugar: 500 g (based on your taste)
- Egg: 7
- Milk: 300 ml
- Baking Powder: 3 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp*
- Vanilla Essence: 3 tsp
- Food Colours: few drop of each colour
- Instant Icing : 1 packet ( 750 g or as much you required)
- Gems ( Chocolate ) : 3 packet for decoration
Making of the Cake:
- Preheat the oven in 140 degree C .
- Take a 8” cake pan and coat it with butter and dust it with all purpose flour and by this way prepare other 8” cake pans too as you have to prepare 5 cakes separately. I have two cake tin available with so prepared my cakes one by one.
- Mix All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder and salt in a mixing bowl and keep it aside.
- Take another bowl and beat unsalted butter in low speed and start to add castor sugar . Don't add entire sugar to the mixture instead add 1 tablespoon at a time and then beat and then again add sugar and beat in low speed until the mixture resembles fine dump sand.
- Now add eggs to the mixture one at a time and beat again.
- Now add the flour mixture and beat again and add vanilla extract and finally milk and the beat in medium speed for 30-40 seconds to get a semi-thing cake batter.
- Next, Divide the mixture into 6 bowls (you should have equally divided mixture).
- Take one colour and put 2-3 drops ( I have used gel based colour ) in one bowl and mix properly with a spoon ; keep adding and mixing colour until you get the vibrant shed that you want in your cake.
- Do the same with other colours and get 6 bowls of different coloured cake mix.
- I’ve prepared 1 bowl each Red, Yellow, Green, Violet, Turquoise and Blue cake batter.
- Don’t use same spoon for mixing. It’s better to have 6 separate spoons as well.
- Transfer the mixture of a bowl to a cake tin and try to spread and smooth as much as possible and refrigerate other bowls.
- Bake the cake in pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cake springs back when touching in the middle.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool in a wire rack for around 10 minutes and demould after that.
- Bake other cakes with the same process mentioned above.
Making of the Icing:
- Refrigerate the instant icing before using it.
- Take the icing in a mixing bowl and beat for around 10 minutes or till the icing turns fluffy and light with a help of a beater.
- Separate ⅕th of the icing in a bowl for garnishing and rest in another bowl and refrigerate immediately.
Assembling the Cake:
- Take a cake plate and put a little cream in the middle of the plate and place the lower layer of the cake. In my case it’s the blue one.
- Now put some cream on the top of the blue cake and spread using a cake spatula and place the next layer of the cake which is turquoise in my version.
- Now take the next piece which’ll be the middle layer and make a hole in the middle using a cookie cutter ( this layer can be prepared using a semi hole cake tin instead of a normal round tin ).
- Put some cream on the top of the 2nd layer of the cake and spread it and place the holed layer.
- Now fill the hole with 3 packets of Gems chocolate and again put some cream on the top of this level also and spread properly.
- Now put the yellow cake and place it properly and again put the cream and after spreading place the last level which is the red cake in my version.
- While assembling the cake just try to place each level with care.
- Now spread icing all over the side and top of the cake and try to cover any gap between the layers and refrigerate for about one hour.
- Apply a second layer of coat after one hour and again refrigerate.
- If required, a third layer can also be applied.
Decorating the Cake:
- Divide the icing kept for decoration into few parts and mix each part with your colour of choice and decorate the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake.
- Rainbow Surprise cake is ready for the party!!!!!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Serving Size: 10 People
- Cake can be prepared using instant cake mix
- If not available instead of instant icing homemade frosting can be used.
- It's always better to use Gel colors instead of powder colours to get perfect cplour in the cake.
- Instead of Gems any other chocolate can be used
Leave a Reply