Chini kum hain, chini kum hain thodi thodi tujhme hain kum Kum kum ….Humdum!
I didn’t find anything but this amazing Hindi song to start this post meant for a sweet with no added Sugar! We can sing a song to try to change a person who is typical Chini Kum type (with no sweetness within) but is it possible to have a dessert without sweetness! Why not! Just skip sugar and add some Sugar Free Sugar to it and you will have the dessert with no Sugar like I have my Baked Kesari Sandesh!
There are many reason for which we intentionally skip sweet content be it the problem of having diabetes or just to cut unwanted calories. However, it is sometimes really pathetic to skip sweet dishes especially for Indians who are born to grab Rasgulla, Halwa, Barfi, Sandesh etc etc etc. Though it is not at all uncommon to substitute sugar with artificial sweeteners for making sweet dishes but availability in terms of verity of Desserts is still less in our country. Now you may ask why I am writing about artificial sweeteners! My dear reader, I somehow not realised that I have not posted a single dessert using artificial sweetener here though I often use it in my kitchen. However, I have a preference of brand when it comes to artificial a sweetener which is nothing but Sugar Free and especially Sugar Free Natura’s Diet Sugar which can be used just like Sugar in any dessert; you can sprinkle it like powdered sugar, you can use it in baked goodies. When I saw the Sugar Free Dessert Challenge organised by “Sugar Free” in collaboration with #Indiblogger, I could not resist myself to make a dessert without Sugar and ended on a rich Baked Kesari Sandesh or Bhapa Kesari Sandesh with the dose of Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar.
I mostly prepare Baked Sandesh by combining Chana/ Paneer and Condensed Milk but I have given a twist to the Baked Kesari Sandesh by adding Fresh Cream and Khowa (Solidified Milk) and then to flavour it with Kesar or Zafran. Initially I was not sure with Khowa and was thinking it may change the typical taste that can be expected from a Baked Sandesh but when I finally completed the baking and had a piece of the Baked Kesari Sandesh; it was nothing but heaven. I am really happy with the taste, richness and softness of this Sandesh prepared without Sugar. It proves that it is not at all a Chini Kum Sandesh but a Sandesh with Diet Chini!Print
- Paneer: 250g
- Khowa/ Solidified Milk: 100g
- Fresh Cream: 75g (I have used Amul Cream)
- Green Cardamom: 3-4
- Kesar/ Saffron: 10-12 strings
- Yellow Food Colour: 1 drop
- Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar: 6 tablespoon (Artificial Sweetener)
- Ghee: ½ teaspoon
- Pre-heat the oven in 180 degree C for 10 minutes.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Making-of-Baked-Kesari-Sandesh-300x200.jpg"][/url]
- Make a powder of the seed of Green Cardamom
- Take Fresh Paneer in a plate and crumble it using your fingers.
- Using a grater grate Khowa and mix grated Khowa with crumbled Paneer.
- Now knead this mixture for 2-3 minutes or till the mixture smoothens completely,
- Add Fresh Cream to the mixture and knead again to mix properly.
- Now add powdered Green cardamom and mix.
- Now it is time to add Sugar Free Natura’s Diet Sugar to the mixture of Sandesh.
- After mixing the Diet sugar add Kesar and food colouring to the mixture and mix it for 1 more minute.
- Now take a baking tin and rub little Ghee on the inner side of the tin.
- Pour the Sandesh Mixture in the tin and cover it with an Aluminium foil (as shown in the picture).
- Take another baking tray (bigger size) and pour water till ⅓ level of the tray and place the baking tin filled with Sandesh mix in the middle of the tray containing water.
- Now Bake the Sandesh along with the Water bed for 30 minutes in 170 degree C.
- Remove the Aluminium foil and bake for 10 minutes in 240 degree C on the water bed.
- Take the tin out of oven and cool the Kesari Baked Sandesh completely before cutting into pieces for 10 minutes in room temperature.
- Invert the Kesari Baked Sandesh in a plate and cut it into desired shape.
- Kesari Baked Sandesh can be served in room temperature or after refrigerating it.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Bhapa-Sandesh-300x200.jpg"][/url]
In case Oven is not available place take the mixture in a covered steel box and place in a Pressure cooker on water bed. Cook for 20 minutes without the whistle on.
Sugar free Sugar can be substituted with normal Sugar.
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Bengali
Have a happy and guilt free eating with "Humdum... Chini Kum" 😛 😀