From the list of around 17 restaurants/ joints famous for Kolkata Biriyani, I have opted for New Aliah Hotel located in Bentinck Street to start my dream Food Walk; Kolkata Biriyani Walk with Debjani. This place has a special place in my mind; I have visited New Aliah Hotel on a very special day of my life. Years back when I tried Aliah for the first time in my life the day was special given that was for the first time I went for a Movie with my parents and family (Bombay it was). Probably this was the reason I wanted to revisit the place and to start my Biriyani Walk.
The review of New Aliah Hotel will be restricted to their Biriyani this time given I have chosen it as part of the Biriyani walk. Coming to the restaurant, it is located in the heart of the city of joy (Nearby Dharmatala); here is the complete address along with the map link just in case anybody wanted to visit the place for a plate of Biriyani and more: 31, Bentinck St, Lal Bazar, Kolkata 700069.
I was there in New Aliah Hotel on 3rd April at around 5:30 p.m. and was joined by 3 people; my friend “S” and two acquiescence. The restaurant is divided into two floors where GF is Non-AC and FF is the AC floor. As confirmed by the Restaurant staff, there is little difference in the price at both the floor where they charge VAT and other taxes in FF but not in Ground Floor and price per plate of Biriyani (Mutton or Chicken) is INR 155/ plate in GF while INR 160/ plate in FF. In GF the Biriyani is served with the quintessential Aloo however in the First floor an egg is also served with the plate of Biriyani. Coming to our order on that day, I have opted for a plate of Mutton Biriyani while others opted for the chicken one. Along with the Biriyani we have ordered mixed Raita and the treat was finished with Firni.
My take on the Biriyani served at The New Aliah Hotel:
Though one of the reputed Biriyani joint of Kolkata but I found the Biriyani served at New Aliyah Hotel quite average and here are few points that I considered while testing the Biriyani there:
- Quality of Rice: We found the quality of rice average; it was more of Pulao rice but not typical Biriyani Rice. “S” found two types of rice being used in the Biriyani which however, I was not able locate 😛 .
- Quality of the meat: Meat was good and the size was moderate however not much juicy and this applicable to both Mutton and Chicken Biriyani
- Egg and Potato: They were there too and both Egg and Potato were perfectly cooked.
- Size of the portion: We found the portion size good
- Serving time: This is one of the best things we found there in New Aliah Restaurant; they took really less time to serve the food
Final Note on the plate of Kolkata Biriyani at New Aliah Hotel!
An average platter of Kolkata Biriyani with moderate portion of meat, Potato and egg not in Ground floor); the Biriyani was a bit dry while I love my Biriyani a bit juicy. One of the main plus point is their serving time and the location for sure.